are lenses cheaper at USA or Japan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuguKYM

Sep 7, 2009
Commonwealth
Hi, i just read similar thread (the Hongkong one), so thinking to ask whether the lens is cheaper if we buy from this 2 countries. Planning to meet my USA cousin at Japan the end of the year....

Hi, i just read similar thread (the Hongkong one), so thinking to ask whether the lens is cheaper if we buy from this 2 countries. Planning to meet my USA cousin at Japan the end of the year....

Is you are looking take a look at the exchange rate from SGD to YEN…That will be not cheap and that also applied to SG to USD.
But if you are exchange rate from YEN to USD or SGD that will be cheap.

So far, I been checking B&H, their price had increased. (Due to the strong YEN)

Overall you still lose out on exchange rate.
Lens in Japan still ex comparing to SG. (I checked some shops in SG while back for visiting couple of week back)

Hope this information will helps. ;)

wow... thanks... thinking to get some lenses... that is why I am asking about this... usually which country that sell lenses cheaper thatn Singapore? for 3rd party or for N/C brand?

Definitely not Japan. You could try Korea too, but only for certain brands.

[edited] Sigma is no longer cheap in Japan.
Samyang is cheap in Korea.
Canon is cheap in HK.
[edited] lenses in US is getting cheaper.

Last edited:
Sigma is cheap in Japan.
Canon is cheap in HK.
I don't find lenses in US cheap. Unless you are buying in bulk or big ticket items, the exchange rate only makes marginal difference. Consider shipping and custom duties if you are shipping and not flying there to buy.

Erm... Actually Sigma not that cheap in Japan now. After exchange rate, the Sigma 50-150mm cost about the same or more than in Singapore.

Sigma 50mm f/1.4 is cheap in Korea though. Same price as a second hand one in Singapore. ;)

Erm... Actually Sigma not that cheap in Japan now. After exchange rate, the Sigma 50-150mm cost about the same or more than in Singapore.

Sigma 50mm f/1.4 is cheap in Korea though. Same price as a second hand one in Singapore. ;)
Wow... that is nice... is the warranty is 1 year international?

Sigma is cheap in Japan.
Canon is cheap in HK.
I don't find lenses in US cheap. Unless you are buying in bulk or big ticket items, the exchange rate only makes marginal difference. Consider shipping and custom duties if you are shipping and not flying there to buy.
I thought that Tamron cheap at US... If i need lenses from US, I am planning to ask my cousin help so no custom and shipping I guess....

Yeah, just check with my contact in japan. Everything in Japan is expensive now. Edited my earlier post. What's the price of the 50f1.4 in Korea. I bought mine from Japan at ~S$750 back in July.

I thought that Tamron cheap at US... If i need lenses from US, I am planning to ask my cousin help so no custom and shipping I guess....

Due to the falling dollar...BBB. You can do some comparisons online and roughly gauge the savings you get.

Last edited:
Yeah, just check with my contact in japan. Everything in Japan is expensive now. Edited my earlier post. What's the price of the 50f1.4 in Korea. I bought mine from Japan at ~S$750 back in July.

Due to the falling dollar...BBB. You can do some comparisons online and roughly gauge the savings you get.

The Sigma 50mm is about $650 in Korea. Got it in April. Now might be slightly higher since the Won seems to be recovering somewhat. ;)

Last edited:
Wow... that is nice... is the warranty is 1 year international?

Not sure about warranty, but Sigma Singapore will do the calibration for free. :)

Try Korea

The Sigma 50mm is about $650 in Korea. Got it in April. Now might be slightly higher since the Won seems to be recovering somewhat. ;)

Wow! That's a good price. Can even make a profit when selling in B&S. :bsmilie:

Not sure about warranty, but Sigma Singapore will do the calibration for free. :)

Warranty is International with valid receipt and unaltered serial number. No local warranty extension though.

Status
Not open for further replies.