are LED lights powerful enough to be use for mini studio photography?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aizone

Oct 18, 2006
east and west
Hi all,

i'm an amateur photographer, would like to ask whether is it possible to use LED lights
(in replacement for those professional studio lightings) for my mini studio photography
as i'm only taking photos of smaller size objects?

:)thank you for your kind advise in advance.

rgds
zone

you can't control intensity unless u put more diffuser.

Lights are rather harsh. and if you got reflective items like mirror, you will see many hot spots.

btw, small is subjective, how small is small? insect size?

still life subjects?
sure you can, just set your camera on tripod, shoot it with long exposure, can able to shoot at f22 if your shutter open long enough.

Thank you for your reply Del_CtrlnoAlt.

actually my object is about a normal handphone size but it isn't a handphone itself.
what should I use / do to cancel off the reflection and shadows in order to get a homogeneous lightings on the surface of the object?
will a bounce card be able to solve the problem?

is it ok to put the LED lights behind a light panel so that the lightings are not that harsh?

My concern would be the color temperature of the LED light. If you can ensure a consistent color temperature, no reason why you can't use LED light behind a diffuser panel.

Google for DIY lightbox for some ideas.

LEDs tend to be on the blue side for color temperature.

intensity of LEDs can be controlled via the bias voltage. but that is if you decide to build the pcb yourself to allow of variation in the bias voltage.

Why use LED? It is very directional and slightly blue.

If you want a mini-studio,

a. DIY light box/tent (Google for it. There are many examples.)
b. Background can be Mahjong paper. Alternatively, can use gift wrapping paper. I like a gold background, with a slightly wrinkle effect.
c. Get a couple of desk lamps with daylight bulbs. This will be the most expensive investment, but should not be more than $40.

That's it.

The colour from typical 'white' LEDs have a slight blue/violet tint unless you get the warm white variants. Honestly if you're shooting products you'll probably get better results from a cheap portable flash unit with a sync cord.

For the color temperature, high quality LED such as Luxeon and CREE gives a pretty white colour, not bluish like those cheap white LED. But so far I haven't found the specification for their colour rendition. It maybe white, but not necessarily has good colour rendition index.

with the help of a tripod, yes it can be used

but why LEDs, just bounce your flash on a reflector/ceiling/wall or all 3

Status
Not open for further replies.