Are Food prices going up?

Jedi

Jul 17, 2002
Visit site
Feb inflation was 4.9% Do you feel the heat?

A few days ago, I went to a coffee shop to have a plate of mee hoon seafood. I was quoted $4 when the food was delivered to my table. Last 1-2 weeks, I was at the same stall, ordered the same menu but price was $3.50. Therefore, within a span of 1 week, price has risen by $0.50. Therefore, I asked the stall helper why the rise. She told me that everything has gone up such as rental and prices of raw materials, etc, so they have no choice but to increase the prices. Costs have to be pass on to consumers.

To some, $0.50 is not a lot, while others feel the pitch.

I also went to another my usual patronised stall selling chicken, duck, char siew rice etc in another location - more central location to have a plate of chicken rice. The stall also raised the price by $0.30. I asked him why the rise? He told me the same story, i.e. rental gone up, prices of raw material gone up such as meat, etc. As such, they have to increase the food prices.

Last but not least, I tried the NTUC Foodcourt. I went to a Ban Mian stall. The price has also risen by $0.50. No need to ask why as I know that I wll be getting the same answer.

Like what one of our ministers had said, we consumers have a choice. If you find the price of a particular stall expensive, go to another stall or place to eat. In reality, do we really have a choice? To save the $0.50, you have to walk to another stall, say 10mins or longer to have the same food; or worst still have to take a train/bus to another location to eat the same food at cheaper price.

yesterday i had lunch. i had Roasted Chicken and Char Siew rice. it cost me $4.50

today, i ate the same thing. the guy charged me $4.20

same portion.

the heck, man!

:(

yesterday i had lunch. i had Roasted Chicken and Char Siew rice. it cost me $4.50

today, i ate the same thing. the guy charged me $4.20

same portion.

the heck, man!

:(

I think you weren't wearing seductive enough when ordering the $4.50 meal... Lolol

we do have a choice; eat, or don't eat..... lol

joke aside, you can have mixed vegetable rice instead, usually it is much cheaper if you order only one meat and more veggie and rice. :)

or consider pack food from home if your office/workplace have microwave oven in the pantry, just cook extra for the dinner the night before to pack for the next day lunch. it should won't cost you more than $1.50.

No question that prices have shoot up. More importantly, the average working class is not about to match this 'inflation'.

Heard NTUC is setting up food court to stabilize prices. I guess they are fully aware that retailers are reaping off consumers by claiming operation cost has gone up. This is also why they set up fairprice.

Hope to see more of them soon.

No question that prices have shoot up. More importantly, the average working class is not about to match this 'inflation'.

Heard NTUC is setting up food court to stabilize prices. I guess they are fully aware that retailers are reaping off consumers by claiming operation cost has gone up. This is also why they set up fairprice.

Hope to see more of them soon.
each stalls have member's special price dish, but only entitle to one dish per person.

btw, just a suggestion, if a few gov agencies can work together, give some hawker stalls to ex-offenders to run, allowing them offer budget food by giving them some form of subsidise, like rental, training etc, think this will help many people at the same time.

My part time cleaner was paid $12 hour previously. ..out of sudden she asked for $14 said her agency recommended..that was more than 15% raise....i fired her on the last day of the mth.....and hired another one at $12.50 ($50 for 4 hrs job).....I mean exercise ur rights when u feel its out of your tolerance limit.....market force is both way and we are partly responsible if it gets out of hand..

Last edited:
MAS cuts inflation forecast, maintains appreciation path for Singapore dollar

food and lodging are not considered in the inflation index

so it is left to the market force

in other words suck thump

nobody would give a d a m n

Are you sure that food is not included in the inflation index?

http://www.singstat.gov.sg/news/press_releases/cpifeb2013.pdf

The inflation for Feb was 4.9% which included food.

My part time cleaner was paid $12 hour previously. ..out of sudden she asked for $14 said her agency recommended..that was more than 15% raise....i fired her on the last day of the mth.....and hired another one at $12.50 ($50 for 4 hrs job).....I mean exercise ur rights when u feel its out of your tolerance limit.....market force is both way and we are partly responsible if it gets out of hand..

Somethings cannot use % to measure if the base cost is relatively low. If $1 increase 10 cents is 10%, if $100 increase 10 cents is 0.1%. That 15% is a mere $2/hr. If the helper is a Singaporean, that additional $8/4 hrs goes up in smoke in no time. Also, have to depends when was the last time the cleaner has a raise. If within past 5 years have been at the same rate, then probably justified. If every years increase $2/hr, yes I will do the same. Thirdly, is the competency and emotion factor. The cleaner probably already knows how you want things to be done and can be trusted with no things missing. You hire a new one, have to retrain and no guarantee that things don't goes missing.

MAS cuts inflation forecast, maintains appreciation path for Singapore dollar

food and lodging are not considered in the inflation index

so it is left to the market force

in other words suck thump

nobody would give a d a m n
You need to read the article properly, core inflation excludes food and lodging, that is true, but that is not quite the same as inflation index.

Core inflation, excluding accommodation and food, is similarly tipped to be a lower 1.5 to 2.5 per cent, compared with the earlier forecast of 2 to 3 per cent.

You may wish to also read the Wikipedia definition of core inflation (here: Core inflation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) and note the following bolded line:

Core inflation represents the long run trend in the price level. In measuring long run inflation, transitory price changes should be excluded. One way of accomplishing this is by excluding items frequently subject to volatile prices, like food and energy.

Meanwhile, members please share here where to get 'reasonable' hawker food in N, E, S, W of Singapore. Remember those days where we 'boycott' certain patrol stations to force them to bring down their pump price.

Meanwhile, members please share here where to get 'reasonable' hawker food in N, E, S, W of Singapore. Remember those days where we 'boycott' certain patrol stations to force them to bring down their pump price.

If the law of demand and supply works, those hawker center seeing surge in demand can simply increase their prices.

we do have a choice; eat, or don't eat..... lol

joke aside, you can have mixed vegetable rice instead, usually it is much cheaper if you order only one meat and more veggie and rice. :)

or consider pack food from home if your office/workplace have microwave oven in the pantry, just cook extra for the dinner the night before to pack for the next day lunch. it should won't cost you more than $1.50.

Lol! This is what I do...

very soon we will be eating $10 fried carrot cake

Food prices have already gone up. Please go to RWS and order sultan fish.

Tip to save money :)

Buy one plate and two persons share :)

Eat less. Lose weight, Lower Cholesterol :)

Tip to save money :)

Buy one plate and two persons share :)

Eat less. Lose weight, Lower Cholesterol :)

......sleep sleep sleep .. no need eat , no need sh!t .... sleep sleep sleep ....die..... :angel: