Are Domke bags really waterproof?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minimalis

Feb 25, 2002
Bukit Batok
Are the Domke canvas bags waterproof? Not the ballistic material kind, rather, the older purely canvas material.

Taken in the spirit of the question, as far as I'm aware they are. I only use the ballistic nylon ones and those are definitely waterproof, and from what I remember there's not much difference in terms of features except that the ballistic nylon is supposed to be more durable. At any rate, a quick web search should answer your question.

Its a matter of semantics and using the proper terms.

Waterproof - Impervious to water
Water-repellant/Water-resistant - Prevents water absorption

So, to be correct, I would say most (99%) of camera-bags are only in the water-repellant/water-resistant category and are able to (in varying degrees) withstand rain.

From personal experience:-
Lowepro Mini Trekker - caught in rain shower, the outer nylon is really wet with a little bit of dampness inside but did not seep thru the sponge.
Lowepro Nature Trekker with AW cover -again caught in rain shower, but using the AW cover, the outer nylon was slightly damp but no dampness inside the bag. If didn't use the AW covering, probably would have experienced the same thing as the Mini Trekker.

For a truly waterproof bag, only the Pelican dry cases and the Lowepro Dryzone 200 fits the bill - Impervious to water, even if dropped into water.

LowePro Dryzone 200 bag - CLICK ME!!

A User Review of the DryZone 200 bag - CLICK ME TOO!!

So going back to the original question - canvas Domke bags are probably very low in the water-repellant category but can be enhanced by using one of those Scotchgard spray-ons (forgot whats the name already). I wouldn't categorise the Domke canvas bags as water-proof ;)

AW covers on the Lowepro S&F series are also not entirely waterproof. It might survive a drizzle or a slight shower, but i wouldn't trust it with anything beyond that.

I've just done a search for Domke information on the web and the best I could do was B&H (okay, so I didn't try too hard). B&H clearly states that the Domke bags are made from breathable, waterproof (resistant, whatever) canvas, and occasionally ballistic nylon. The waterproofing is not conditional on it being ballistic nylon or not.

From my experiences with my Domkes, (as mentioned all are ballistic nylon but this shouldn't make a difference from the information on the B&H website) they are water resistant perfectly well. I shoot in all kinds of inclement weather, and my Domkes get standing water left on the flaps when I have to cover games in the rain, but the inside remains absolutely bone dry. Certainly better than my Lowepro stuff. The problem with Domkes is that they don't appear secure because the bags don't zip up tightly, but [1] the flaps overlap so unless you do stupid things, it's impervious to falling rainwater, and [2] that's nothing a Scotchguard spray on can help with that either.

I've had my domke out in the rain before, it remained quite dry inside... hmm.....

the cover of my bag had this "upside down compartment", inside, it seems to be lined with some materies which might have helped in keeping the main compartment dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.