Are CPL filters tinted and what's Marumi like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRSAMO

Nov 17, 2008
Australia->Japan
I'm looking at Marumi filters on ebay and am wondering if anyone has any experience with these? I thought CPLs were tinted judging by the thumbnails they use but the real pictures doesn't look like it.

BeachwCPL.jpg

I'm going to get the middle of the range filters to begin with as I don't want to choke on my cornflakes on the $200 ones just yet. I just saw another lens that interests me a lot as I want to do more portrait stuff.

Thanks!

They reduce the amount of light through, and hence should appear gray (neutral). A poor quality filter might cause some unwanted colour tints. Hope that helps!

I'm looking at Marumi filters on ebay and am wondering if anyone has any experience with these? I thought CPLs were tinted judging by the thumbnails they use but the real pictures doesn't look like it.

BeachwCPL.jpg

I'm going to get the middle of the range filters to begin with as I don't want to choke on my cornflakes on the $200 ones just yet. I just saw another lens that interests me a lot as I want to do more portrait stuff.

Thanks!

Photo shoot is over exposed and illuminated from above so the tint looks lighter then it should.

Your second statement does not seem to talk about CPL but you are referring to Neutral density filters. Which comes in a ranger of varing grey tints. Polarisers are usually of one tinting..it is not like you can chooser a lighter or medium or darker tint for CPL.

Last edited:
Thanks Sammy, I was referring to the CPL filter as there are some really expensive ones out there, middle of the range is like $50-$80?

Thanks Sammy, I was referring to the CPL filter as there are some really expensive ones out there, middle of the range is like $50-$80?

That depends on what filter size too. Price is relative in that sense. A 52mm filter size is not the same price as a 67mm or 72mm. I would venture to say Hoya would be consider med quality when compare to the likes of something like B+W or Nikon. Sometime there are alot of arguing as to which is the best or which gives you the best bang for your bucks.

Personally alot has to do with what lens you use. If you invested alot of money or top quality lens..to put a cheap filter on the front of it is redundant. And if you own a entry level lens then putting a high quality filter will also be just as redundant. It takes as little as 7 glass elements to make up one lens so what it that compare to the effectiveness of one thin glass filter? So compliment the lens with the an equally price quality filter.

Been using Marumi. its a cheap substitute for the more expensive B+W/Nikon slim profile CPL which cost double that(comparing 77mm slim-profile). But do note only the DHG/SDHG version are slim-profile. optic wise, its very much comparable or even better than the Hoya pro1D for UV, should be the case for CPL as well.:thumbsup:

Thanks for the heads up. There aren't a lot of reviews on the marumis but I guess it should be good if its made in Japan.

Hey guys, just want to ask what would be a good filter for an UWA lens (11-16) :

1. Hoya Pro-1D CPL Filter 77mm ($106 AU)

2. Marumi DHG SUPER Circular Polarizing CPL Filter 77mm ($109 AU)

3. Kenko Filter 77mm Pro1d Digital Circular-PL CPL 77 mm ($84 AU)

I want to reduce glare and increase contrast on my photos without the vignetting, would the Kenko do the job?

Thanks for your advice!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.