are carbon fibre tripods worth the $$

Status
Not open for further replies.

cimman

Aug 27, 2004
they are light and strong and expensive compared to the aluminium ones ?
The aluminum ones are heavier and hence I think will be more stable, vis a vis the carbon fibre ones. In windy conditions, the carbon fibre, given it's light weight might not be as stable as the aluminium ones.
If the camera is lens heavy, it is front heavy and a heavier tripod is needed to stablize it.
So, is the carbon fibre tripod worth the expense ?

Lightweight and stiffness for a good traveling CF tripod. Why not :)

Ryan

Definitely. The weight saved will make carrying it so much easier... especially when you go on holidays!

Just the weight reduction alone is worth every penny. I had carried an aluminium tripod on a trip and sold it immediately after I got back. Most CF tripods have a hook on the center column for you to hang stuff. Use that to hang something heavy for added stability.

They are worth their weight (reduction) in GOLD.

Get a gitzo and you're all set for life. I learnt that the hard way.

i am still slogging w a 055.

recently bought a tripod bag. made carrything it around much easier.

promised myself to change to CF when it spoils (something i doubt will ever happen in my lifetime).

but i dun tink all CF are created equal. there are different grades eg, benro, manfrotto, gitzo.

I guess it depends on how often you use a tripod. For me, for every 20 outings (w-i-d-e-l-y spaced apart), maybe only 1 time I bring my tripod out. Probably less than 5x a year. When I travel, it's my Canon G7 and a cheapo table-top tripod. So for me, the extra cost isn't worth it.

But if your style of photography needs you to use a tripod often, then I say go for it. :thumbsup:

My super-steady aluminum Manfrotto tripod makes great cloth hanger.

I'm using the aluminium Velbon Ultra Luxi L. Tall, light and stable. Of course, it isn't designed to take really heavy equipment. Suits my needs, but you'll really have to consider what suits you best.

go for basalt material from Gitzo. it actually between Alu and CF in term of weight and price.

This shd solve the problem. heehee ;p

You bring your tripod on holidays? Wow.

heh.. some people do actually. this is where CF travel tripods come in. :)

i just came back from sydney. it is not surprising to see people carrying their dry cabinet worth of equipment and tripods at the airport now during checkin.

dat said, i dun even use my manfrotto 190b aluminum tripod enuf cos it is heavy to lug ard... but never had the need to buy a CF tripod. if one can justify the costs, it is worth it.

Last edited:

There are actually quite a number of us who bring our tripods for holidays.
It depends on individual shooting needs.

For me i cannot imagine lugging a heavier tripod for all my trips.

Ryan

Why not? I did once with an aluminium tripod and once with the new CF tripod. Now I am more willing to bring tripod on trips because of the lightweight of CF.

My carbon fiber tripod sees daylight only when I am on a trip. I got on of the lightest one around. That said, other than the weight, I don't see any differences. However when compared to my Manfrotto Neotec, which is an aluminum monster, the Neotec wins hands down in east of use, ergonomics, and stability.

I love shooting with a tripod. I shoot with a tripod over 80% of the time. Most of the time, it's either the Neotec or the old Manfrotto, which is even sturdier. On trips where photography is the reason to go, the Neotec came with me, and when photography is not the reason, the lightweight carbon fiber tripod's turn.

Weight is always a concern. At the end of the day, it's the total weight of all your gears, not just the weight of the tripod, that are stressing your back and everything else. So, it all depends on what is your priority.

The reason I love the heavy Neotec is the ease of use. It's amazingly simple. Again, it's a trade off in priorities.

Last edited:
I guess it depends on how often you use a tripod. For me, for every 20 outings (w-i-d-e-l-y spaced apart), maybe only 1 time I bring my tripod out. Probably less than 5x a year. When I travel, it's my Canon G7 and a cheapo table-top tripod. So for me, the extra cost isn't worth it.

But if your style of photography needs you to use a tripod often, then I say go for it. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

My super-steady aluminum Manfrotto tripod makes great cloth hanger.

ha. ha... I like that. I agree if it's too heavy, it just becomes an ornament. However, the Gitzo is so $$$$$$....., heart is willing, but wallet is weak....

My carbon fiber tripod sees daylight only when I am on a trip. I got on of the lightest one around. That said, other than the weight, I don't see any differences. However when compared to my Manfrotto Neotec, which is an aluminum monster, the Neotec wins hands down in east of use, ergonomics, and stability.

I love shooting with a tripod. I shoot with a tripod over 80% of the time. Most of the time, it's either the Neotec or the old Manfrotto, which is even sturdier. On trips where photography is the reason to go, the Neotec came with me, and when photography is not the reason, the lightweight carbon fiber tripod's turn.

Weight is always a concern. At the end of the day, it's the total weight of all your gears, not just the weight of the tripod, that are stressing your back and everything else. So, it all depends on what is your priority.

The reason I love the heavy Neotec is the ease of use. It's amazingly simple. Again, it's a trade off in priorities.

I agree with the overall weight concept. Have to take into account the camera body, lenses, maybe flash, extra batteries, and then the tripod plus the head. If the tripod weighs 2kg, it's going to be a strain.

Status
Not open for further replies.