Are camera courses essential?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shingoz

May 14, 2006
Dear bros and sisters,

Noticed that nowdays most (if not all) reputable brands provides free/charged course when customer purchase their camera. For e.g, Nikon provides free course conducted by SAFRA for their Coolpix and PSS for their DSLR.

Do you guys actually factor this into consideration when purchasing new cameras?

Am doing a research for my study :)

1) Yes, such after-sales service is certainly something i would factor in when making my purchase.

2) No, i go for features and pricing. Such after-sales service is appreciated though.

3) No, I dont even look out for such stuffs.

When deciding to attend such courses, what are the factors which you feel is important?
a) Pricing

b) Venue

c) Course contents

d) Trainer (i.e. PSS, SAFRA, Internal trainers)

Anyone? Just some comments would do....thanks in advance.

I dont, because a good camera is a good camera.It has nothing to do with the courses or freebies included. Besides, I dont think it will cost much to sign up for one on your own if the cam dosent come with it.

These courses serve a few purposes:

1) Marketing tactics to get attract buyers
2) Attract first time photographers
3) Help customers understand the features of their camera better to make the most of it. Good for those that dont RTFM.

For in-depth courses on photography, there are always dedicated one. So dont expect too much from it. How much you learn from the free courses depends on your current skill levels.

It depends...

If the course is designed and targetted at the beginners, then it may work for those who are buying the entry level cams. But if you have a beginners course for someone who bought the latest Pro DSLR (i.e. Nikon D2Xs or Canon 1D MkII) then it may not be a good idea.

Other than that...

If photogs attend courses, I guess the main issue would be to learn the appropriate skills for that type of course in the time frame. Fees may be a issue to the younger beginners. But I believe the most important factor would be what can they (the students) expect out of the course.

cheers,

if its free. i dun see any harm in attending.. especially if u are relatively new to photography.

as for attempted marketing... well.. the BBB virus can strike anytime. so if u cant resist at a marketing session by the manufacturer.. u wont resist anyother time anyway.

but as for those paid courses... i do have my doubts.. because a lot of basics can just be learnt by speaking to experienced photographers... reading the net etc etc..

i remember going for a course here on basic photog... was so boring that i skpped it after 2 classes because i didnt learn anything that i didnt already learn from reading internet/ books etc.

I'm a bit wary of professional individuals who give courses and charge some fee for it. I feel that they're doing it for the sake of earning side income, not because they want to share what they know. I've been to some seminar by some supposedly famous local photographer, recommended by a few other people as "very good". But (for the sake of protecting his ricebowl, I guess), I felt that he held back on a lot of things, and whatever notes were provided were next to useless. And because they're so good at what they do, they lack the empathy towards newbies and the challenges they face. Being a practicioner and an instructor are really two different things.

Courses by camera companies (and photo institutions) are OK because they do teach you how to use your camera properly. Sometimes the instruction manuals are horribly written and can be quite overwhelming for beginners and it's good to have a human instructor whom you can throw questions at. Not everybody can learn efficiently from reading materials. Of course it's also a marketing ploy, but I do believe they will benefit the individual.

All this, IMHO of course...

Hey guys thanks for ur inputs. Its a pity i cant do a poll here.

Anyway i feel most of us feel that it's a good value added after sales service to have.

Something about the factors to persuade you to go, am i right to say fees incurred is the most important factor? The location and trainer profile should be secondaries.

How about course contents?

Dear bros and sisters,

Noticed that nowdays most (if not all) reputable brands provides free/charged course when customer purchase their camera. For e.g, Nikon provides free course conducted by SAFRA for their Coolpix and PSS for their DSLR.

Do you guys actually factor this into consideration when purchasing new cameras?

1) Yes, such after-sales service is certainly something i would factor in when making my purchase.

2) No, i go for features and pricing. Such after-sales service is appreciated though.

When deciding to attend such courses, what are the factors which you feel is important?
a) Pricing

b) Venue

c) Course contents

I think the internet is killing us all, by providing access to information, which in the past is not readily available.;) Therefore, we gain much more and now know much more than before, if we do look for it. However, photography is a skill, and cannot be just learnt by reading. It must be practised.

Never considered those courses packaged for the cameras, as I think its mostly to learn how to use the particular camera ( mechanics, etc)

I did complete a photography course conducted by a friend. The course is a practical one, with lots of outdoor, indoor shoot, and darkroom work. I think its still important to learn the basics of photography and practised it in a course, where the instructor work together with you shooting/printing and he/she guides you along. You can always pick up from your friends, by going out for shoots with them, but it won't be very structured.

Dear bros and sisters,

a) Pricing

b) Venue

c) Course contents

Use the money to attend course for good photography book (or cheap one, you can use internet to find a good photography material).

Use your time to attend course to meet another photographer and go hunting.

After you study and carefully select your interest/field of your photography, save some money to buy correct equipment.

Regards,
Arto.

Hmm i see a lot of interesting ideas around, please keep ur comments coming.

Btw regarding free courses, what will be the factors that will affect your decision to go for the session?

Cost? Contents? Location? COnductor?

Aftersales is important. Courses and others are bonus. I don't like bundled sales. I definitely bought a camera system because of features and pricing. The former being the most important factor.

a) Pricing

b) Venue

c) Course contents

Definitely the trainer. If it is worth it, I would travel overseas.

courses are not a factor in my camera buying decision. i prefer to look at the features and the price, to decide which model to get. so my answer is c) :)

like u have mentioned, after sales service is definately important..... especially if one is new to SLR photography and all.

I wouldn't buy a camera just for a course in how to use it. You can pick up more tips online than just going to a course. I'd rather have a discount than a course.

Status
Not open for further replies.