CD Player:
1. Mark & Levinson

Speaker:
1. Martin Logan

Cables:
1. Monster

No horse run liao :bsmilie:

Wow, hi-end sia!
The rest I have no issue but monster cable...

creative speaker..cheap and good ;p ;)

how firm is your $1500 budget? and what equipment do you currently have?

one way is to buy in phases. psychologically wont seem as expensive ;p say buy cd player first, then amp, speakers, interconnects, speaker cables, and so on. in the mean time just use any existing cheapo substitutes. the good thing is you get to hear improvements in stages.

anyway marantz cd player cant go wrong. so maybe get that first. worst case carry around to audition amp/speakers :D

markccm said:
Amps:
1. Krell
2. McIntosh

CD Player:
1. Mark & Levinson

Speaker:
1. Martin Logan

Cables:
1. Monster

Wei, too high-end lah! One of those more than Laugh's entire budget liao!! :bsmilie:

markccm said:
Amps:
1. Krell
2. McIntosh

CD Player:
1. Mark & Levinson

Speaker:
1. Martin Logan

Cables:
1. Monster

No bullet train run also.... :bsmilie:

I am no audio expert. But I do enjoy listening to music.

Bought a Musical Fidelity with a set of monoblocks and a set of midrange Splendor speakers some 15 years ago. Still give me sterling sevice.

One thing I noticed was that with my set up, I could listen to music for hours without "audio fatigue". With the Bose (my friend's) , I could not listen for more than an hour. Somehow I get an "audio fatigue" with the Bose system> the Bose sounds fabulous at the beginning. But only for a while.

For a set that cost $1500.00 I will look at the Nad.

Well with your budget of S$1,500 don't believe u can afford BOSE. Also, if possible listen to BOSE in someone's house - the mid range (vocals) is really (really) missing.
U can also consider buying Cambridge Audio System (540 DVD player + 540R receiver). Good value for money and something that u would be able to live with for a while. U can start off with 2 speakers. The thing about buying Hi-Fi is that buy quality equipment and gradually build it, that's the fun of it.
Buy the best amplifier/receiver you can afford first.

Naresh.

actually i realised that i have a pair of KEF K120 speakers sitting in the store room, maybe i can utilise those first. Anyone heard of those speakers?

NAD seems like the way to go for now. Will visit adelphi over weekend to check it out.

laugh said:
actually i realised that i have a pair of KEF K120 speakers sitting in the store room, maybe i can utilise those first. Anyone heard of those speakers?

NAD seems like the way to go for now. Will visit adelphi over weekend to check it out.

Check this website out. It's a bookself speaker which is good enough for your room.

Requirements
Amplifier requirement figures are intended only as a guide. As a general rule buy the biggest amplifier you can afford within the specified range and use if with car. It is easier to damage the loudspeaker by using a small amplifier driven into distortion by too much volume with bass and treble boost, than by using a larger amplifier which has power in reserve. If in doubt, ask your dealer.

http://www.kef.com/history/1990_1/k120.htm

Buy the latest edition of What Hi-fi magazine and look at their top ten lists. It's a great guide as to what is out there for your budget but take reviews with a slight pinch of salt. You never know who they are sponsored by ;)

However, they are not going to be the number 1 hi-fi mag in UK by recommending crap gear and so I've always used them as a guide (not gospel) when buying hi-fi gear (and that hasn't been for AGES Danny ;p haha)

Trust your ears but you can really get some great separtes for your money

laugh said:

I have been using NAD 524 CD player, NAD C350 amp and Mission 772 speakers over the last few years and am still happy with them. Not too sure about current batch of NAD CD players, but some of their past models have a bit of problems supporting cdrw disc. You can also try out some Marantz cd players which I believe have better all round disc support.

For CD players and Amps, guess u can audition and compare brands like NAD, Marantz, Rotel.. Each has it's own characteristics and u can see which better fit your tastes. It would also be good if u can bring down your KEF speakers down to test and see which matches it best.. :)

Remember also to spend a bit of money (~$50) for interconnects and speaker cables to bring out the potential of your sound system. Brands like QED, Taralabs, Audioquest would be a good place to start.

Anyone heard of philips cd players? i have this player cd951 that is collecting dust, my father dont seem to use it anymore. Was wondering if I can use it. Then I will be able to concentrate on just getting an amp to begin my sound journey. ;p

Hmm threads like these really get me reading :sweat:

Kinda scary to see forumers having hifi as a hobby as well as photography :sweat:

The 2 most expensive hobbies i feel :sweat:

Anyway, entry level amps ... a rotel RA-01 or 02 would suffice with pre-amp outputs for future expansion. For NAD, the C320BEE would be enough as well.

You can also get a HT reciever from Marantz as they make a excellent stereo and HT combo when you need it.

Presently, using a NAD C300 amplifier, a pair of KRK Systems speakers tapped to my main pre / power setup (which is another story :p ) Source is a AMC cd player... the combo is marvellous.

laugh said:
Anyone heard of philips cd players? i have this player cd951 that is collecting dust, my father dont seem to use it anymore. Was wondering if I can use it. Then I will be able to concentrate on just getting an amp to begin my sound journey. ;p

AFAIK ... philips gives me the creeps after my last fiasco with their LD player which now is chunked somewhere in my home

Get an entry level marantz cdp would be good enough.

Go to Sim Lim Sq, City Electronics or dunno what shop, near the Info counter on the first floor. They have AE Aego 2 selling for $299. In fact 2-3 years ago it was lelonging at $199?!?!?! :sweat: They figured that the demand was so great so it went up again. Back then in 1996/1997 or so when it came out it was going for $799, and you can see it on demo along multi-kilobuck systems.

Hear it for yourself, they can demo for you. It ain't that good but it's quite a fair bit better than your avg 800 bucks 2.1 Bose system but at $299 only.

CD Player, perhaps can get a mid-range DVD-A/SACD player from Marantz....forgot the damn model, that shop i recommended will stock it. Around 600 bucks. Think i am getting it to plug into my headphone system.
Marantz is one of the best bang for the buck here in SG.

PS. Don't look down on the Sim Lim shop, it ain't bad if you know what you are doing. I spent more than 10K in Adelphi, in the end also like that....

dEthANGeL said:
Hmm threads like these really get me reading :sweat:

Kinda scary to see forumers having hifi as a hobby as well as photography :sweat:

The 2 most expensive hobbies i feel :sweat:

Anyway, entry level amps ... a rotel RA-01 or 02 would suffice with pre-amp outputs for future expansion. For NAD, the C320BEE would be enough as well.

You can also get a HT reciever from Marantz as they make a excellent stereo and HT combo when you need it.

Presently, using a NAD C300 amplifier, a pair of KRK Systems speakers tapped to my main pre / power setup (which is another story :p ) Source is a AMC cd player... the combo is marvellous.
You ain't see nuthing yet! Those people whose hobby is cars is even more expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.