Archival Gold Discs?

beginnerphoto777

Sep 23, 2009
Hi everyone,i would like to know whether anyone can advice me on this issue regarding a brand call Delkin Archival Gold DVD discs? Delkin claims tht this disc can last 100years? Isn't sure how convincing is this. I back up my RAW photos in numerous external HDD, but plan to archive to a very good brand of DVD. Anyone can suggest The BEST brand? Thank u..:)

Hi everyone,i would like to know whether anyone can advice me on this issue regarding a brand call Delkin Archival Gold DVD discs? Delkin claims tht this disc can last 100years? Isn't sure how convincing is this. I back up my RAW photos in numerous external HDD, but plan to archive to a very good brand of DVD. Anyone can suggest The BEST brand? Thank u..:)

Where did you see this Delkin archival gold DVD?

I used to buy this TDK UV resistant armor archival DVD+R. $5 per piece. But cannot get it now.

Last edited:
If it last for 100 years is good, but the technology change very fast, from LD to VCD to DVD and to ???. One thing must keep up with the technology, my current DVD drive can not read my LD (too big). Keep data in both DVD and ext HD is still a good solution. :)

100 years under which conditions? Test labs use tropical conditions (high temperature / high humidity and others factors) to simulate aging. So 100 years in moderate climate or even stable storage facilities might not be the same as 100 years here in Singapore in your cupboard.

Hi guys,i saw Delkin's advertisement in Popular Photography,sounds convincing, but whether can last 100years in Spore weather is another matter. Anyhow if i back up my RAW,Tiff, Video or large JPEG on this brand, i will keep them in dry box for sure. Anyone knows where to get Delkin in Spore? Sim Lim? Pls help...

Just a thought, are u around to sue them if yours fail at the 99 year mark? :p

hahaha..if i could sue them 99years later tht means i'm dinosaur already :cry: Well, if it can lasts 20years without deteoration, i'm damn happy already.

Just check the technology cycles from CD to DVD to Blueray .. what's the point of these 100 years? Still Blueray drives can read CD, but there will be a point when CD becomes obsolete, technically. Then maybe DVD .. So you will transfer your data anyway to the next media type.
Store the media properly. The marketing stuffs indicates already what's important.

using gold in DVD...seems quite luxury especially gold price so high now. And how to dispose of these gold DVD? melt them to extract the gold first? And also consider the cost of a toasted gold DVD :)