Arca Swiss or RC2 or M-Plate?

IsenGrim

Jan 28, 2008
I have been using the Manfrotto for sometime now and has quite a few RC2 plates sticking on my cams.

Then i started buying/looking to buy quick release systems and travel tripods.
The only items that fits the technical wants and budgets comes with Arca Swiss style clamps.

Many people on the net says Arca Swiss > RC2 in terms of profile, ease of use, sturdiness. Generally accepted as the "best" solution out there.
It is also generally more expensive than RC2. (individual plates and clamps)
Personally I think the Arca Swiss is more flimsy than the RC2, but its a system that's adopted by more head makers than the RC2/

So I would like to ask for some personal experience here.
Should I switch my current RC2 clamps to Arca Swiss (and get new plates), or
Should I switch the Arca Swiss clamps to RC2 clamps, or
Get a few M-plates. (The M-Plate Is A Universal Tripod Plate for Manfrotto RC2 and Arca-Swiss by CustomSLR | 1KIND Photography » Camera Gear Reviews and Deals)

Last edited:
I have been using the Manfrotto for sometime now and has quite a few RC2 plates sticking on my cams.

Then i started buying/looking to buy quick release systems and travel tripods.
The only items that fits the technical wants and budgets comes with Arca Swiss style clamps.

Many people on the net says Arca Swiss > RC2 in terms of profile, ease of use, sturdiness. Generally accepted as the "best" solution out there.
Personally I think the Arca Swiss is more flimsy than the RC2, but its a system that's adopted by more head makers than the RC2/

So I would like to ask for some personal experience here.
Should I switch my current RC2 clamps to Arca Swiss (and get new plates), or
Should I switch the Arca Swiss clamps to RC2 clamps, or
Get a few M-plates. (The M-Plate Is A Universal Tripod Plate for Manfrotto RC2 and Arca-Swiss by CustomSLR | 1KIND Photography » Camera Gear Reviews and Deals)

I switched from RC2 to Arca swiss, and I think I might have a lot more invested into RC2 than you. 2 ballheads, 1 tilt head, 5 RC2 plates, RC2 L plate.

I switched because I wanted better ball heads and more options in terms on heads, plates and accessories. I also find Acra swiss safer, simply because for screw clamps, there is no way you can accidentally undo a latch and the plate falls off. You usually unscrew a little, and slide the cam with plate off sideways. I find Acra swiss more sturdy, because the point of locking contact is the entire length of the plate, unlike RC2, is where point of locking contact is the tip of the round end of the quick release lever. And on RC2, accidents can also happen when you thought you locked the lever, but in actual fact you didn't because the plate is not sitting properly. Happened to me once, but luckily my hand was still on the cam, so no falls no breakages.

After the switch, I managed to sell all my manfrotto stuff off. And never looked back.

As for the M-plate, I saw it recently too, but one problem is that if you use the RC2 clamp, your camera will be off center when mounted?

I can only share my experiences with you. You have to make the call yourself on which direction to take that suits your needs the best.

Last edited:
Acra Swiss 1, RC2 0

Once I had my 300 2.8 mounted on an RC2, suddenly I found that the lens plate had accidentally dislodged itself from the ballhead. Fortunately I was still holding on to the lens otherwise it would have crashed to the ground. Nowadays I have complete confidence even when walking long distances with a heavy lens on an Arca-Swiss style plate. AS-type plate is definitely better and more secure.

RC2 is probably ok for light lenses.

I also find Acra swiss safer, simply because for screw clamps, there is no way you can accidentally undo a latch and the plate falls off. And on RC2, accidents can also happen when you thought you locked the lever, but in actual fact you didn't because the plate is not sitting properly. Happened to me once, but luckily my hand was still on the cam, so no falls no breakages.

Agree.

Arca Swiss 3, RC2 0.
Its time to take the plunge.

Arca Swiss style plate has much lower profile, and will not have twist issue unless you get the universal plate, in fact I have a universal Arca Swiss plate but find that it tighten anytime better than any Manfrotto QR plates I have before.