APS-C in a compact?

So, LX7 will have to be better than this.

This may possibly be the future of photography. Hobbyists turning to compacts with DSLR capabilities for the portability, maybe even pocketability. Heck, maybe even pros will go the portable way. Less equipment to lug around.

Agreed. ILC cameras are now approaching DSLR capability. I would say that the DSLR is endangered.

For that price I will probably get a Sony A55 or any entry level DSLR which gives me the features.

What specific features are you looking for in DSLR that X100 doesn't provide, apart from changing lenses?

What specific features are you looking for in DSLR that X100 doesn't provide, apart from changing lenses?

The feature that makes one look like a pro photographer and so others give way.

-edited about the ISO capability, see wrongly-

this cam is suitable for those who find using DSLR tough but want something pns cannot gives (in terms of photo quality).

Last edited:
This is a transition phase. Back in film days, SLRs and PnS were all full frame. [Kodak and some manufacturers dabbled in sub-sized formats, but they never gained full market acceptance.] Sensor prices will continue plummeting. The APS-C PnS will eventually come down in price, gain wide market acceptance, eat all the way down into the cheapest market segment, and then the full frame PnS will be reborn in digital, and the cheapening cycle goes one full circle until everything is (as understood today) "full-frame". Your children's $49.95 PnS will be full frame, and they will never have heard of the term "APS-C" and will give you a blank look when you talk about "small sensors". They will then turn and make jokes behind your back, "the old fart who keeps talking about some crop factor thingy...".

Last edited:
Its cool and retro looking, I'd give it that much, but imho, its a bit slow to market and the fixed lens does not help.
The competition has already launched APS-C EVIL cameras that are relatively small with interchangeable lenses. (Eg. NX10, NX100, NEX). The only main difference seems to be consumer preference for external styling.

In terms of usage like for candids/street or as a rangefinder, a nice, retro looking Oly PEN set to pre-focus does the job too.

Pro here pro there, how many users are actually pro? I don't care what pro use, I don't use my cam for a living or do I shoot sports. As long as it delivers better than a compact, I'm happy. EVIL camera gives me the controls I need, ability to change lens to suit my shooting, with IQ much much better than a compact and comparable to APS-C DSLR. All in a tiny package (compared to DSLR). I don't care if it can overtake or replace DSLR, at the current status, I'm satisfied.

Why some must compare with what pro use? If they don't use means it's not good? I'm so glad to carry a small camera when travelling, compared to someone holding a DSLR to look pro (my friend) but knows little on how to use it. My camera with 3 lens only takes up a small part of my everyday bag and it's light. Strangers are less likely to get distracted when being shot with a non-DSLR looking camera.

Different cameras for different people with different needs. It's useless to give me a camera with lighting fast AF, it helps me at most 5% of the time. Well, this is me. YMMV.

Pro here pro there, how many users are actually pro? I don't care what pro use, I don't use my cam for a living or do I shoot sports. As long as it delivers better than a compact, I'm happy. EVIL camera gives me the controls I need, ability to change lens to suit my shooting, with IQ much much better than a compact and comparable to APS-C DSLR. All in a tiny package (compared to DSLR). I don't care if it can overtake or replace DSLR, at the current status, I'm satisfied.

Why some must compare with what pro use? If they don't use means it's not good? I'm so glad to carry a small camera when travelling, compared to someone holding a DSLR to look pro (my friend) but knows little on how to use it. My camera with 3 lens only takes up a small part of my everyday bag and it's light. Strangers are less likely to get distracted when being shot with a non-DSLR looking camera.

Different cameras for different people with different needs. It's useless to give me a camera with lighting fast AF, it helps me at most 5% of the time. Well, this is me. YMMV.

Well said!

Actually I wonder if there is a need to go to 35mm at all. We aren't physically developing film to prints anymore - so size of sensor is not a factor. The aspects that matter are resolution, dynamic range and noise. With new sensor technology the APS-C is already doing well enough in all three items.

So why do we need 35mm full-frame sized sensors?

Seriously doubt that the DSLR is endangered. I firmly believe that each category of camera from compact pns to full-frame DSLR has something to offer a photographer. This is because each of us had different preferences and needs. I have known someone who still shoot in film with an old canon film camera.

Actually I wonder if there is a need to go to 35mm at all. We aren't physically developing film to prints anymore - so size of sensor is not a factor. The aspects that matter are resolution, dynamic range and noise. With new sensor technology the APS-C is already doing well enough in all three items.

So why do we need 35mm full-frame sized sensors?

Again, to look 'pro' mah! :bsmilie:
Very much a legendary 'holy grail' for most folks due to its in-availability in the beginning of digital SLRs.

While the DOF control and brighter viewfinder is welcome, imho current APS-C cameras certainly don't hamper anything when if comes to photography.
I certainly use 35mm if I don't need to pay more for it and if it becomes the norm, but not before then.