April 21st Evening Newbie Outing Photos

Ya it was Purpleheart. Taken at f/16 with ISO 400 over an exposure of 10sec. Used Tungsten white balance as well.

Hi guys,

Hope everyone got home safely and had lots of fun! :) Here is the group photo from this evening's outing. Click on the link below to download the full-sized one =)

_MG_6572.jpg

Link to full-sized version: http://www.stanford.edu/~frankchn/photo/20100421/GroupLarge.jpg

Wah phiang Kevin (ZerocoolAstra), why u so wet? u go "chong sua" first before the outing izit? :bsmilie:

Btw frankchn, nice group pic frm the 35L :thumbsup: At f4.5 the dof is amazing!

And ID required. Identify urself pls.. hee.. :)

Last edited:
Thanks alot to ZerocoolAstra for organising this educational shoot ... not forgetting Fujiwara, Wildcat, Dingaroo etc for all their tips and hardwork making last night's outing a resounding success ...
3 cheers ... Hip Hip Hooray, Hip Hip Hooray, Hip hip Hooray
:thumbsup:

No time yet to go through pics .. maybe this evening

my turn. Just 2 photos first. Unedited except for resizing.

4541432953_094eb255c3_o.jpg

taken at 18mm

4541432889_2a7058bbc2_o.jpg

taken at 200mm

Thank you so much for organising this event.

Last edited:
Hoping for a different look. Opened up the pic a bit (1 stop) to keep details in the trees(shadows) and surroundings.

P1010414.jpg

Again going for a different look. Took this portrait orientation to take out the distractions and keep the ferris wheel big in the top third corner of the frame. Used a faster shutter speed as well to keep the cars in the picture with beams of light shooting out. Keeping it simple with those two elements as central to lead the eye from the light trails to the bigger Ferris wheel (or the other way around).

P10104131.jpg

Shot this while doing my "recce" of the photoshoot area. Like the soft focus look.

P1010383.jpg

Hi Everyone!

Just sharing what i had shot the last time i was there ....

esplanade18.jpg

This shot was taken w/o a tripod and with very high ISO.Tat's y the pic is noisy

Glad most of you enjoyed the outing! Will be certainly looking forward for more =)

Cheerios ;)
Fuji
You can add me at facebook : Gn Jeremy Masahiro
Please do let me know your nick

Last edited:
Wah phiang Kevin (ZerocoolAstra), why u so wet? u go "chong sua" first before the outing izit? :bsmilie:

Btw frankchn, nice group pic frm the 35L :thumbsup: At f4.5 the dof is amazing!

And ID required. Identify urself pls.. hee.. :)
because I'm a polar bear! I miss the cool weather in Australia!
hahahah was also running around to make sure everyone ok mah...

some people work nearby but never come and help out... hehehehe :)

this is the only location from where I shot... :)

Esplanade_1s.jpg

Looks brighter from my home PC.
I had difficulty keeping away the stray light from the floating platform floodlights.

Hi Everyone!

Just sharing what i had shot the last time i was there ....

This shot was taken w/o a tripod and with very high ISO.

Yeah, at some point, I saw a group of people shooting at ISO400 and they said they were advised that. Was there something you were hoping to achieve from the high ISO shoot? Generally we try to use as low ISO as feasible for the camera, unless you need the higher shutter speed to prevent shakes. Since it was on a tripod, switch off IS and there isn't shake from handheld, unless you are trying to freeze the motion of something else it may be better to set low ISO.

Ahem ahem.. bor pian leh.. i 8+ then knocked off.. by e time..ur packed up liao..:sweat:
ok ok.. signing up for the next one to make up for it kk.. hush hush.. :lovegrin:

because I'm a polar bear! I miss the cool weather in Australia!
hahahah was also running around to make sure everyone ok mah...

As main organizer, he has to work hard ... so that proves he did work hard! I miss the cold winds of the highlands of scotland!

Thanks so much Mr. Zerocoolastra, Francis, wildcat, Fujiwara, Dingaroo et al. Thought this was my proper first newbie outing, I didn't it worked in that way - Totally Enjoyed, cherished every moment and got technical things (Basic things). Love to see you guys in the future - I never had this kind of things back in India :-( I couldn't get time to process yet fully, will post 'em soon. Once again Thanks a ton!! CALOGAN

Jewlow said:

The shutter speed was not sufficiently long for this one. Only a few seconds? The cars did not have sufficient time to create a long trail of light along the stretch of road.
I can't see your EXIF data, so I don't know your shutter speed, ISO, aperture, etc.

oh gosh the pics are sharp, omg, i think i can just format my sd card later lol! appears to be OKAY in the cam lcd onli.

kenny888 said:
oh gosh the pics are sharp, omg, i think i can just format my sd card later lol! appears to be OKAY in the cam lcd onli.

just post 1 or 2 (preferably with the EXIF data intact) and we see if we can give you some good advice! :)

Hey guys, thanks for having the outing kevin.. here's my take.. C&C welcome..

23690_10150174586455386_853380385_12027746_7700081_n.jpg

23690_10150174586475386_853380385_12027749_2041020_n.jpg

23690_10150174586480386_853380385_12027750_7980784_n.jpg

Last edited:
Hey guys, thanks for having the outing kevin.. here's my take.. C&C welcome..

23690_10150174586475386_853380385_12027749_2041020_n.jpg

I like your #2 shot!
:thumbsup:
Try to correct the perspective a little bit in post-processing, such that the tall buildings (eg. UOB Building) are straight n vertical.