Approaching people to sign release

Status
Not open for further replies.

sevenfightclub

Aug 13, 2006
What exactly do you say when you approach people to sign releases for things like stock photography? Seems so awkward...

What exactly do you say when you approach people to sign releases for things like stock photography? Seems so awkward...

Never done it myself. In his book Beyond Portraiture, Brian Peterson has some suggestions. I didn't pay much attention to it as I don't see myself doing it any time soon.

Just put you in their shoes.

Would you sign a piece of paper when a stranger has taken your photo without permission and now asking you to put your name on it?

Thats the silly requirement US Stock agencies require. Its good in a sense that Singapore has not recognised the requirement of model releases.

Thats the silly requirement US Stock agencies require. Its good in a sense that Singapore has not recognised the requirement of model releases.

But if TS is planning to sell with U.S. stock agencies, and they ask for model release?

I'm not sure how it works out legally, but chances are, the legal dept. of the stock agency will choose to cover their behind and demand a model release.

without model releases, the images are only good for editorial usage.... eg school textbooks, doesn't sell much $$.

btw, it is not the agency want model releases, the main issue is the photo buyers don't want to buy images without model releases.

If the TS is planning to sell to a US Stock Agency, he will have no choice commercially but to comply with their terms. This is similar to the situation in Singapore where if you want to apply for a credit card, you have no choice but to agree to their terms. Ie its operated on their standard terms.

For discussion, if for example, a US agency buys the photos from you, and does not require the model release. What is the exposure?

The model in Singapore, if she wants to take action, would have to go to the United States to sue the US Agency. The model would also have to show that US law applies to her cause of action (which is questionable since the model was engaged in Singapore, the shoot done in Singapore etc). I have not checked the applicability of the US law viz creation of images in other jurisdictions, but as you can see, it is not a simple matter.

It would already be costly to try to initiate litigation in Singapore, and this is multiplied in the case of cross border litigation. Unless your image is worth millions of dollars and the model is some super celeb with deep pockets, the chance would be remote.

Of course however since most US agencies will not accept submission without a release, this issue is rendered commercially moot.

But if TS is planning to sell with U.S. stock agencies, and they ask for model release?

I'm not sure how it works out legally, but chances are, the legal dept. of the stock agency will choose to cover their behind and demand a model release.

That may be so for other countries (which I cannot comment since I don't know), but in Singapore, until case law decides otherwise, you can use photos taken without a model release, for any commerical purpose, and not limited only to editorial usage.

without model releases, the images are only good for editorial usage.... eg school textbooks, doesn't sell much $$.

i just signed one yesterday, i dont mind signing it actually, more exposure the better for models ;)

Wow, nice to see all the responses. Thanks guys!

The reason I ask is coz I'm considering selling to stock photography website, and also, a local potential client would like us to shoot those 'street photography' - people should be "incidental" - meaning, really there, doing things in the foreground, and not models in posed pictures. I'm just wondering whether these people need to sign release lor. The use is for website only.

So... don't need a release if for Singapore website?

Status
Not open for further replies.