Apple Mac mini - Wow!!


Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren

ClubSNAP Admin
Staff member
Jan 16, 2002
8,606
26
48
Melbourne
#1
Ok ... I am officially jumping back onto the Apple Mac platform with this new baby - Apple Mac mini

sweet!
 

Darren

ClubSNAP Admin
Staff member
Jan 16, 2002
8,606
26
48
Melbourne
#3
sonix said:
Wow. how much you bought?
Errr can't buy yet as its not shipping - January 29th is the estimated availability in Singapore ... but just jumped over to the Apple SG site and configured one as below

• 1.42GHz PowerPC G4
• 512MB DDR333 SDRAM - 1 DIMM
• 80GB Ultra ATA drive
• SuperDrive (CD-RW/DVD-R)
• AirPort Extreme Card
• Wireless Keyboard and Mouse kit
• 56K v.92 Modem
• Mac OS X
• Accessory kit

S$1,748.55
 

jbma

Senior Member
Dec 28, 2003
3,287
0
0
Tampines
#4
Darren said:
Errr can't buy yet as its not shipping - January 29th is the estimated availability in Singapore ... but just jumped over to the Apple SG site and configured one as below

• 1.42GHz PowerPC G4
• 512MB DDR333 SDRAM - 1 DIMM
• 80GB Ultra ATA drive
• SuperDrive (CD-RW/DVD-R)
• AirPort Extreme Card
• Wireless Keyboard and Mouse kit
• 56K v.92 Modem
• Mac OS X
• Accessory kit

S$1,748.55
Now this makes me wanna have on too. Gimme gimme pls. Jan 29 eh? I'll be waiting!
 

jbma

Senior Member
Dec 28, 2003
3,287
0
0
Tampines
#6
nightwolf75 said:
best lah! just need to hook up with existing KB and LCD, and u're good to go! and looks damn cool too... :lovegrin:
So Sam you getting one? Or are you still collecting lens?:bsmilie:
 

nightwolf75

Moderator
Staff member
Dec 18, 2003
17,857
14
38
really MORE diaper changes
#7
jbma said:
So Sam you getting one? Or are you still collecting lens?:bsmilie:
nah! got my 2nd-hand PB already. will only consider this when my Dell PC goes kaput.

however, its a big big headache looking for mac versions of the software i'm using now. i just found out last nite dat my optik verve plugins only work for win version of PS not mac. :cry:
 

sbs99

Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2002
2,024
0
0
#8
nightwolf75 said:
best lah! just need to hook up with existing KB and LCD, and u're good to go! and looks damn cool too... :lovegrin:

Need to be an LCD monitor?
 

jbma

Senior Member
Dec 28, 2003
3,287
0
0
Tampines
#10
nightwolf75 said:
nah! got my 2nd-hand PB already. will only consider this when my Dell PC goes kaput.

however, its a big big headache looking for mac versions of the software i'm using now. i just found out last nite dat my optik verve plugins only work for win version of PS not mac. :cry:
True true! But even if I get this I will not abandon my PC. It will live side by side. Reason being some software I currently use needs it. Same goes with Linux. So now multiple boot on my PC. But this Mac is really cool man.
 

sbs99

Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2002
2,024
0
0
#11
nightwolf75 said:
from my mac frens, this is like those shoebox PC - sold without KB or LCD.

ah...coz im a pc user...wondering if i get this, would i be able to hook up with my existing monitor. :p
lol no LCD
 

nightwolf75

Moderator
Staff member
Dec 18, 2003
17,857
14
38
really MORE diaper changes
#12
sbs99 said:
ah...coz im a pc user...wondering if i get this, would i be able to hook up with my existing monitor. :p
lol no LCD
can wat. just get a simple data switch to toggle bet ur PC and mac, and u can share KB and screen already. think the proper name for the switch is called KVM? mebbe the tech gurus can help me out here. :embrass:
 

Darren

ClubSNAP Admin
Staff member
Jan 16, 2002
8,606
26
48
Melbourne
#13
nightwolf75 said:
can wat. just get a simple data switch to toggle bet ur PC and mac, and u can share KB and screen already. think the proper name for the switch is called KVM? mebbe the tech gurus can help me out here. :embrass:
Probably just need a KVM switch that can handle keyboard and mouse. I think Apple lists one on the online store under accessories.
 

jsbn

Senior Member
Jul 24, 2002
2,944
0
0
Planet Eropagnis
#14
Your existing monitor? The Mac mini comes with both DVI and standard VGA inputs. ;)

Unless u wanna toggle between your Windows (bleah) PC and Mac, get a KVM switch. But dump dat Windows. U're better off on a Mac. Honestly. ;)

NW75: Selamat pagi ;)
Actually if u look hard enuff, there are Mac alternatives to certain software. I believe one of your colleagues passed u some plugins yesterday right? ;) hehehehe....
 

sillyme

New Member
Sep 27, 2003
149
0
0
43
Potong Pasir
#15
I wonder how is the performance.

USD499 becomes SGD1700+
can buy in US than 'smuggle' in? :p
 

caseytan

Senior Member
Dec 16, 2002
620
0
16
home
#16
sillyme said:
I wonder how is the performance.

USD499 becomes SGD1700+
can buy in US than 'smuggle' in? :p
Darren made changes to the specs and opt for higher-end CPU.

USD499 model is selling at S$928.
 

Darren

ClubSNAP Admin
Staff member
Jan 16, 2002
8,606
26
48
Melbourne
#17
sillyme said:
I wonder how is the performance.

USD499 becomes SGD1700+
can buy in US than 'smuggle' in? :p
eh? what exchange rate are you using?

US$1 : S$1.65 approx ... making US$499 ~ S$824

Anyway, this Mac mini would hook up to my LCD monitor (which has two inputs) and since its so small, can be placed almost anywhere on/under the desk (maybe even on top of my existing PC and with a USB/FW hub so that I can plug in peripherals easily).

I can just about visualise the Mac mini living side-by-side with my PC ... ;p
 

Kei

Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2002
2,080
0
36
#19
Adam Goi said:
It's damn chio ... urgh! :think:

How come nowadays all the minis are so chio? First it's O2 XDAII Mini and now this ...
So when u getting? Your shopping list getting longer and longer as years goes by ;p
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom