apple laptop LCD the colour gd enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

user111

Jul 27, 2004
have been a PC user all along. thinking of buying an apple ibook g4 12" to edit photos on the fly because i heard "loosely" that "apple LCD screen the colour more accurate than non-apple laptop LCD". hence i need to ask how true is this claim?

if its true, then how about calibratiion of the apple laptop lcd? ie can we just use adobe gamma (its free) or still have to use eye-one? TIA for all feedback

FYI, only PowerBooks uses the Apple High Definition display LCDs, for the iBook G4s, they are just normal LCDs (ie: dithering of colours). Compare them side by side and you will understand.

I use Eye-One on my iBook for calibration.

lolx..then i must buy powerbook liaoz

apple hardware together with their OSX is already PRE-CALIBRATED to give you very accurate colors.

Yes, OS X has inbuilt calibration, but that's via software and the usual lines, black colour box test. It's still not as accurate as hardware test.

espn said:
FYI, only PowerBooks uses the Apple High Definition display LCDs, for the iBook G4s, they are just normal LCDs (ie: dithering of colours). Compare them side by side and you will understand.

I use Eye-One on my iBook for calibration.

then why u still get ibook? :dunno:

anyway, i am using ibook too ;p

That's why I regretting now, if anybody wants my iBook I'll let it go and change to PowerBook ;p

I own an Asus laptop
amazing build, great quality.
highly recommended. high speed RAM is recommended too. I'm using the M6Ne model, it comes with the 64mb ATI Radeon 9700
I'm sure the technology now is better
colour-wise, use a colour calibrator instead

You cant callibrate an LCD on a laptop monitor, actually I think Lacie (sp?) is the only LCD thats truely callibrated capable.

Sure high end LCDs are CLOSER, but why not spend the extra cash and buy a CRT and a docking station for at the house, so you KNOW your color is dead on.

jj1987 said:
You cant callibrate an LCD on a laptop monitor, actually I think Lacie (sp?) is the only LCD thats truely callibrated capable.

Sure high end LCDs are CLOSER, but why not spend the extra cash and buy a CRT and a docking station for at the house, so you KNOW your color is dead on.

True for Wintel laptop, you can calibrate and profile iBook and PowerBook LCD for sure.

erwinx said:
http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20050620PR200.html

Anyone compared an iBook to Asustek notebooks?

cannot access leh... :confused:

oeyvind said:
True for Wintel laptop, you can calibrate and profile iBook and PowerBook LCD for sure.

that means powerbook LCD, once calibrated correctly (by whatever means), is quite good enough for photo editing?

a little OT, is the 20" Apple Display HD? Thinking of getting a powerbook 15" and hooking it up to the 20" apple Display.

once you hook up to another monitor from a powerbook or what so ever. i find the color change.

zekai said:
once you hook up to another monitor from a powerbook or what so ever. i find the color change.

sure, there's only one LUT.

canturn said:
LUT? care to enlighten?
I believe he meant "LookUp Table" (LUT), the internal reference tables in the video card which tells it how to transform colour values from the video memory to the actual values which defines the colours on the output device (monitor).

Btw, the 20" CinemaDisplay is not HD, only the 23" and 30" are HD, according to how Apple names them. ;)

Regards
CK

Thanks Ckiang. That means for HD LCD monitor, be prepare to spent another 23" for Apple one!

Any 19" HD ones around in the market that are not Apple but equally good?

canturn said:
Thanks Ckiang. That means for HD LCD monitor, be prepare to spent another 23" for Apple one!

Any 19" HD ones around in the market that are not Apple but equally good?
Don't know of any 19" widescreen or HD monitors. In fact, the old Apple 17" CinemaDisplay is also not labelled "HD". I don't know what's the criteria of the HD label, probably the ability to play the 1080i HD format (1920 x 1080).

For alternatives to the 20" Apple Cinema Display, can try the Dell 2005FPW (unfortunately not available here) or the Philips 200W6CB which supposedly uses the same panel.

Regards
CK

Status
Not open for further replies.