Apple introduces iPad

nirenj

Sep 15, 2006
Singapore
flickr.com
Apple today introduced iPad, a revolutionary device for browsing the web, reading and sending email, enjoying photos, watching videos, playing games, reading e-books, and much more. Its high-resolution Multi-Touch display lets you interact with content — including 12 innovative new apps designed especially for iPad and almost all of the 140,000 apps available on the App Store. At just 0.5 inches thick and 1.5 pounds, iPad is thinner and lighter than any laptop or notebook. iPad will be available in March starting at the breakthrough price of just US$ 499. :bigeyes:

http://www.apple.com/ipad/

hardware-01-20100127.jpg

hardware-04-20100127.jpg

Apple iPad

Technical Specifications

Height:9.56 inches (242.8 mm)
Width:7.47 inches (189.7 mm)
Depth:0.5 inch (13.4 mm)
Weight:1.5 pounds (.68 kg) Wi-Fi model; 1.6 pounds (.73 kg) Wi-Fi + 3G model

Display
9.7-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen Multi-Touch display with IPS technology
1024-by-768-pixel resolution at 132 pixels per inch (ppi)
Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating
Support for display of multiple languages and characters simultaneously

Wireless and Cellular
Wi-Fi model
Wi-Fi (802.11 a/b/g/n)
Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR technology
Wi-Fi + 3G model
UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz)
GSM/EDGE (850, 900,1800, 1900 MHz)
Data only2
Wi-Fi (802.11 a/b/g/n)
Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR technology

Digital compass
Assisted GPS (Wi-Fi + 3G model)
Cellular (Wi-Fi + 3G model)

Capacity
16GB, 32GB, or 64GB flash drive

Processor
1GHz Apple A4 custom-designed, high-performance, low-power system-on-a-chip

Sensors
Accelerometer
Ambient light sensor

Battery and Power
Built-in 25Whr rechargeable lithium-polymer battery
Up to 10 hours of surfing the web on Wi-Fi, watching video, or listening to music
Charging via power adapter or USB to computer system

AN FRANCISCO - APPLE chief executive Steve Jobs unveiled a new touchscreen tablet computer on Wednesday dubbed the 'iPad', seeking to carve out a niche between the laptop and the smartphone.

'We want to kick off 2010 by introducing a truly magical and revolutionary product,' said Jobs, who underwent a liver transplant last year and was making just his second public appearance since September.

The long-awaited iPad has a 9.7-inch (24.6-centimetre) colour screen and resembles an oversized iPod Touch or iPhone. It is 0.5 inches (1.3-cm) thick, weighs 1.5 pounds (0.7 kilogrammes) and comes with 16, 32, or 64 gigabytes of flash memory.

The price tag for the device, Apple's first major product since the iPhone three years ago, came in less than expected by most technology analysts.

The cheapest iPad model, with 16G of memory, is US$499 (S$700) while the most expensive - which includes 3G wireless connectivity and 64G of memory - costs US$829.

Apple said it would start shipping the iPad, which has a virtual keyboard but can also be hooked up to an external keyboard, within 60 days, making them available worldwide in late March. The 3G version will reach the market in late April. -- AFP

ipad-ap.jpg

Features of Apple's new iPad
APPLE Inc unveiled its 'iPad' tablet computer in the company's biggest product launch since the iPhone three years ago.

Here are some key features of the new device announced on Wednesday.

* 9.7 inch colour multi-touch display.

* Costs US$499 for 16 gigabytes of storage, US$599 for 32GB, US$699 for 64GB.

* 3G wireless capability costs an extra US$130.

* AT&T Inc data plan costs US$14.99 per month for 250 MB of data, US$29.99 for unlimited data.

* 10 hours of battery life, and a month on standby.

* 0.5 inches thick, weighs 1.5lbs (0.68kg).

* New iBook store has partners including Pearson Plc's Penguin, News Corp's HarperCollins, CBS Corp's Simon & Schuster MacMillan, Lagardere's Hachette Book Group.

* WiFi and bluetooth connectivity, compass, ability to view in portrait and landscape modes.

* Runs a variation of the iPhone operating system. Apple says all iPhone apps can run on the iPad.

* Supports iWork, Apple's productivity suite that competes with Microsoft Office.

* 1 GHz Apple-made A4 chip.

* WiFi models ship in late March, 3G shipping in April.

Source: REUTERS

i wanttt :)

I just watched the video.
Seems great but more like an enlarged version of the iPhone.
However, I would still love to get my hands on one :)

I'm going to pre order 3 of these babies :D

lovely stuff

Looks totally like a giant iphone. Not my kind of thing i guess. :bsmilie:

Don't know how's the battery life.

Looks totally like a giant iphone. Not my kind of thing i guess. :bsmilie:

you can start nagging the people who don't rotate photos to the correct orientation on facebook if you get the ipad.

OEI, I CAN'T TURN MY IPAD TO LOOK AT YOUR PHOTOS PROPERLY IT KEEPS ROTATING LA

They say 10hrs. But I remember they say the same abt my iPhone. They didn't tell me after 2hrs of gamingy batt will be dead. They didn't tell me I would have to charge my phone every day. Lol.

Just imagine the amount of bubbles we need to squeeze out after applying the HUGE screen protector :eek:

Wow! A bigger iPhone! I want! :sweat:

Hmmm... Got to put a security screen protector on it, otherwise the guy sitting next to you on the MRT might peep at your newspaper. I mean iPad.

Prob would hit the spot for photographers who want tethered shooting outdoors, larger screen to preview photos in and on the go storage/viewing device for travel.. If it does support those functions..

Seems to be that they are challenging the net book and the reader market.
But kindle is available in sg. Using eink which is much more energy efficient.

Last edited:
Prob would hit the spot for photographers who want tethered shooting outdoors, larger screen to preview photos in and on the go storage/viewing device for travel.. If it does support those functions..

Storage device, probably the 64GB one. Maybe the 32GB one. But definitely not the 16GB one. Unless its a really short holiday. :think: