Apple display on PC set up

Status
Not open for further replies.

benny

Nov 13, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
Visit site
Hi guys,

Any clue where the 30" apple display works well with PC setups? I know you need a double DVI card to drive the monitor.

Cheers,

are u planning to get 2 x 30" apple display?

else any graphic card with DVI connector should work, but if u are planning to get dual display in near future, of cos it will be better to get one with dual DVI connectors.

but for the sake of doing colour calibration, i will suggest u to get a PCI graphic card for your secondary monitor. otherwise, u will need Matrox Parhelia for dual display using one card (for proper color calibration)

Wai said:
but for the sake of doing colour calibration, i will suggest u to get a PCI graphic card for your secondary monitor. otherwise, u will need Matrox Parhelia for dual display using one card (for proper color calibration)
Dude, any idea on the cost of the Matrox Parhelia? Thinking of getting another 19" LCD to do dualie.

espn said:
Thinking of getting another 19" LCD to do dualie.

Get two of this better :D

monitor3007wfp_splash.jpg

may be that's what the thread starter planning to get?

Wai said:
Get two of this better :D

monitor3007wfp_splash.jpg

may be that's what the thread starter planning to get?
11ms for 30" doesn't seem like a >18bit panel ;), contrast ratio is pretty good though.

I'm still tempted on the ACD 30" :D

I got weak eyes and need a bigger monitor. I was consider the 30" apple and didn't realise that Dell has one coming up.

From what I understand, the 30 inch displays have both the DVI cable plugging into the display in order to generate the 30" format. Whilst I have seen it at the PC shows, they have always been on the Apple G5. Was wondering if anyone has it on PC as well.

Cheers,

Wai said:
are u planning to get 2 x 30" apple display?

else any graphic card with DVI connector should work, but if u are planning to get dual display in near future, of cos it will be better to get one with dual DVI connectors.

Thanks Wai for the good information.

Anyway, I any a bit confused about the PCI graphic card for color calibration. If I only have 1 X 30" apple display, does it matter? Apple recommends ATI Radeon 9650, Radeon X850 XT or NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT DDL Card on their site.

Apple said:
Dual Link DVI
The 30-inch Cinema HD Display requires the next level of DVI connectivity — dual link to drive the massive amount of pixels to the screen. And the NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL graphics card delivers, with the most advanced graphics engine available. This card, designed specifically to support the dual link DVI connection, delivers 2560 by 1600 resolution. Even better, it can drive two 30-inch Apple Cinema HD Displays, giving you the ultimate creative canvas.

Would appreciate if you could help me clear the confusion. Thanks!

Cheers,

haiz Benny you confused me. dual-link DVI is not the same as two DVIs :)

also technically it has nothing to do with the screen size, but rather the pixel dimension, which in this case (or in MOST cases) would be 2560×1600. you can also have this resolution on a 42" LCD if some manufacturer decided there is a market.

question to the rest. would such a monitor call for the use of pro-grade graphics accelerators such as Elsa and Matrox? What about SGI? Trying to help Benny spend his year-end bonus :bsmilie:

Choy,

Oops... As you can tell, I'm technically challenged.

So...I can hook up to my 50" screen too? The pixels on the 50" screen is only 1024 (if I recall correctly).

Wai,

Thanks for link. I'll chew on this and see if I can understand it better.

So in summary, putting the Apple 30" screen to the PC is not problem except for monitor calibration. I should get a Matrox Parhelia to go around this problem. Right?

Cheers,

yes you can hook up your plasma. there should be a PC video port on your plasma. on my pioneer there is a PC port on the front of the media box for ad hoc connection.

benny said:
So in summary, putting the Apple 30" screen to the PC is not problem except for monitor calibration. I should get a Matrox Parhelia to go around this problem. Right?

nope, only if you plan to have TWO LCD display on ONE card, then u will have problem with calibration unless u get matrox parhelia or a 2nd card for the 2nd display

benny said:
I got weak eyes and need a bigger monitor. I was consider the 30" apple and didn't realise that Dell has one coming up.

From what I understand, the 30 inch displays have both the DVI cable plugging into the display in order to generate the 30" format. Whilst I have seen it at the PC shows, they have always been on the Apple G5. Was wondering if anyone has it on PC as well.

Cheers,
Not sure about the 30" but I know someone's got a 23" Apple display on a PC...

jeremyftk said:

the Cathay Photo at Marina Sq has an Apple display with a barebone system. :)

jeremyftk said:

certainly any windows based PC can use apple display

myself has been using the old 20" apple display that has ADC connector, working great but i got to get the ADC to DVI adapter.

however, older graphic cards may not be able to support wide-screen format (1680 x 1050 for 20" and 1920 x 1200 for 24")

but for 30", because of its super high resolution of 2560 x 1600, u need a card with dual-link DVI connector to support such resolution

Status
Not open for further replies.