appeal for point-and-shoot cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbluesky

Jul 20, 2004
Bukit Batok
www.jennifer-koh.com
hello all!

do you have a WORKING point-and-shoot film camera that's gathering dust since you've gone digital?

this is an appeal to donate it to a worthy cause.. read on!

starting next month is an exciting photographic venture entitled INSIDE OUT, partly inspired by the film born into brothels, to connect with migrant workers in singapore by teaching them photography.

the project seeks to create a socially-engaged work about the substantial population of migrant workers in Singapore – by helping them document their own lives through photography. the workers will learn the basics of photography over a series of workshops and, with the cameras given to them, record their reality as they see it. their photographs will then be edited and exhibited at next year's m1 fringe festival.

this project draws its inspiration from successful photovoice projects (www.photovoice.org) that empower marginalised groups of people to document their own lives and in so doing, claim a stake in public space.

at least 30 cameras (FULLY FUNCTIONAL OF COZ!) are needed for this project.

we're hoping for a generous response, please help if u can!! n pls spread the word.

kindly leave your name for now (i need to gauge response), i'll soon be posting details of donation centre(s).

Mine's given to my sister liaoz. Sad. :(

1 upz for u

1. wantunn

oh, you posted this so fast.
i thought they will give me the information on sunday.
anyway, anyone has WORKING point-and-shoot film cameras for this project?

Hi Big Blue, have you considered approaching some of the camera companies for this? While 30 is a daunting number, 10 is workable.

Good luck and do let us know how the project turns out. :) Sorry I don't have a P&S to give away.

hi!

thank u sooo much to each person who's responded, be it by PMing or threadin here... here are the details of where to drop ur camera off.

THE NECESSARY STAGE (marine parade, next to parkway parade)

Marine Parade Community Building
278 Marine Parade Road
#B1-02
Singapore 449282
(tel no.: 6440 9274)

pls put ur cameras in an envelope and address it as such:

For InsideOut (M1SFF06)
Attn: Alvin Tan

ok, 30 is ambitious.. we'd be happy to even hit 20! progress: have about 5 to 6 for now.. would really appreciate it if u cld ask around, and if u know someone who's willing to donate, pls ADD name/nickname to this thread AND give them the above details. thank u thank u thank u. :)

Are there any operating hours for the collection center?
Or is there a box or something we can drop it off into?

thanks
bigbluesky said:
hi!

thank u sooo much to each person who's responded, be it by PMing or threadin here... here are the details of where to drop ur camera off.

THE NECESSARY STAGE (marine parade, next to parkway parade)

Marine Parade Community Building
278 Marine Parade Road
#B1-02
Singapore 449282
(tel no.: 6440 9274)

pls put ur cameras in an envelope and address it as such:

For InsideOut (M1SFF06)
Attn: Alvin Tan

ok, 30 is ambitious.. we'd be happy to even hit 20! progress: have about 5 to 6 for now.. would really appreciate it if u cld ask around, and if u know someone who's willing to donate, pls ADD name/nickname to this thread AND give them the above details. thank u thank u thank u. :)

hmmm

opening hours shld b workin hours, but if u wanna be sure, why dont u call to find out?

u can just wander in and look for alvin tan.. if he's not arnd, pass it to someone, make sure u write attn: alvin tan; for InsideOut (M1SFF06). the necessary stage is also called 'the black box'... u hv to go down to basement one i think.

Hi bigblueSky ,
When is the deadline to submit the cam.
I have one to contribute.
Thanks.

Hi Jen, if you can provide more details about this project, who is organising it, etc, it'll help a great deal. I do have a P&S but will need to test with film first to see if there's a light leak.

If you should fail to meet the target of 20 or 30, you may want to consider purchasing from Cash Convertors or Yahoo Singapore auctions. Or you could buy from these two places and ask for people to sponsors! :)

Hi Jen, if you can provide more details about this project, who is organising it, etc, it'll help a great deal. I do have a P&S but will need to test with film first to see if there's a light leak.

If you should fail to meet the target of 20 or 30, you may want to consider purchasing from Cash Convertors or Yahoo Singapore auctions. Or you could buy from these two places and ask for people to sponsors! :)

As for cameras or lenses with fungus, I think you should put your minimal expectations down, or is it the case of anything goes? If someone donates a totally plastic camera with manual film advance wheel (aka very cheap freebie camera), will you accept it? Just a thought, of course. All the best in your project, and do let us know if you need help in teaching photography, etc!

rubric said:

As for cameras or lenses with fungus, I think you should put your minimal expectations down, or is it the case of anything goes? If someone donates a totally plastic camera with manual film advance wheel (aka very cheap freebie camera), will you accept it? Just a thought, of course. All the best in your project, and do let us know if you need help in teaching photography, etc!

InsideOut is organised by The Necessary Stage and a group of volunteers, including a group of Straits Times photojournalists. It is going to be a part of the Singapore M1 Festival in 2006.

With regards to minimal expectations, I would say any camera in decent working condition (can take fine pictures) is good for use. Small scratches are ok. Not acceptable if fungus inteferes with picture quality of course. I trust people will use their discretion.

As for photographers, I think we have a solid team for now. Thanks for indicating your interest though, will post if we need more teachers. What we do need though, are runners. People who will be able to collect film from individual workers and send it for developing. That will come at a later stage of the process, around late Sept/October. I'll post more details soon. If anyone is keen to help in this aspect, please PM me asap. Thank you!

Oh, keep the cameras coming! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.