App to calculate sun rise or sun set? Which side to face?

Nov 26, 2013
Singapore
As per title, is there such an app where we can calculate the sun rise or sun set? Which angle or side to face?

Tons. Google sky map is a good place to start.

As per title, is there such an app where we can calculate the sun rise or sun set? Which angle or side to face?

If you need an app to check the direction of sunrise and sunset, do check out the Photographer's Ephemeris. As for timing, just check NEA website will do.

I was recently introduced to this app "Sunrise Sunset on the Map"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kokufu.android.apps.sunrisesunset&hl=en

First of all, it's free.. and secondly, it's easy to use. It shows the angle of the sun (can toggle sunrise or sunset) relative to the point which you can move around.

Oh, this app also displays the sunrise and sunset timing (not sure how accurate, since I always check on website)

FOr Iphone you might want to check out Sun Seeker app. For Android, check out Sun Surveyor.

Reactions: Aim
If you need an app to check the direction of sunrise and sunset, do check out the Photographer's Ephemeris. As for timing, just check NEA website will do.

Yes, this one is good.

Just to note, desktop version is FOC, app version is pricey.

Tried those free ones but the app can't seem to locate where I am. It keep showing that i'm in Brazil. HAHA any others?

Is this really good? I thinking to pay for it to try but scared that it's not working well. I'm using a Note 2. Have you used the app personally?

Is this really good? I thinking to pay for it to try but scared that it's not working well. I'm using a Note 2. Have you used the app personally?

If you want free, use Google sky map.

For Singapore, lying just north of the Equator, direction of sunrise/sunset should not vary much from dead east/west.
For exact timing, though do not vary much too, go to Meteorology or NEA website

Photographer's Ephemeris desktop version is FOC and good. Mobile version a big ex. But the direction for SG throughout the year doesn't vary much. As to timings, as suggested by others, NEA is a good source. SG is so small, the timings and directions won't vary too much.

I check for sunrise location everyday morning from my bedroom window, all I can tell you is the location sunrise change a lot thru out the year, so some of my sunrise shots, can only do in a certain period of the year, if I missed it, I have to wait till next year.

You can use Google sky maps and the "time machine" function to see exactly where the sun will rise

Depends on how accurate you want to know where the sun rises or sets, eg say you want the sun to rise exactly above the biggest supertrees from your favourite viewpoint of Gardens by the Bay

It varies almost 30 degrees North and South of East/West during the different times of the year :)

Last edited:
The Photographer's Ephemeris is a really good tool if you need exact calculations to capture intersections with buildings and such, it gives you the precise azimuths, shadows of the sun/moon, elevations, and timings etc.

Otherwise, facing east/west-wards for sunrise/set and with NEA supplied timings should be sufficient if you just want the sun in frame.

Photographer's Ephemeris desktop version is FOC and good. Mobile version a big ex. But the direction for SG throughout the year doesn't vary much. As to timings, as suggested by others, NEA is a good source. SG is so small, the timings and directions won't vary too much.

Er, no, the sunset/sunrise direction for Singapore can vary quite a bit............ It is especially an issue for places where you can't really move around much to reposition yourself optimally, e.g. HDB scapes.

Er, no, the sunset/sunrise direction for Singapore can vary quite a bit............ It is especially an issue for places where you can't really move around much to reposition yourself optimally, e.g. HDB scapes.

Yea oops I just realised the direction will change cos the earth is constantly moving. Hahah no wonder I did so badly in my primary school science.

The direction for the actual sunrise or sunset do change but no matter how it change u still can see it with your eyes. But always remb it rise in a direction of due east(northeast or southeast) or set due west(northwest or southwest). So when checking google map just kept in mind for the direction it will rise or set in.