Aperture3 vs Photoshop CS5

Exhaust

Dec 11, 2010
Hi guys, i know this is a debatable topic which may or may not have a definite conclusion. As i am interested in learning post-editing, which softwares fare better? Aperture3 or Photoshop CS5?

I have only tried the trial version for Aperture3 but not CS5 simply because after downloading the trial version of CS5... the installation prompts me to insert the CS5 disk to proceed with the installation.. which i would not have or else why would i wanna download the trial ya?..

dun have CS5 but got CS4.

tried the aperture 3 trial.

i find aperture 3 process raw files very slow as compared to CS4.

dun have CS5 but got CS4.

tried the aperture 3 trial.

i find aperture 3 process raw files very slow as compared to CS4.

Thx for the feedback. What about retouch of details and reducing noise? I saw a youtube clip on CS5 where a guy could reduce noise so well that Aperture3 doesn't seem to be able to :(

I suggest Lightroom. A complete no nonsense tool which is easy to learn with.
Photoshop? WHY? Do you really need it? Thers a plenty of digital graphic editing softwares on the market.

Photoshop? WHY? Do you really need it? Thers a plenty of digital graphic editing softwares on the market.

yeah i find CS4 is too complex for me haha, recently just switch to Lightroom (anyway they are under the same company, adobe) , just that i find lightroom caters more to photographers.

Thx! i just switched over to Lightroom 3 and all my Raw images (NRW) from my P7000 can be opened in Lightroom 3! The lastest update Lightroom v3.3 is also able to open Raw images for the D7000.

While fiddling around with the functions in Lightroom 3 i realized that it is a much better and stable program compared to the Aperture 3. Tons of tutorials in Adobe TV for amateurs like me to learn how to utilize the software for better post editing. :D

I use both together, aperture to do white balance, skin smoothing (more natural than lightroom), retouch (as good as cs5 content aware). Light room for teeth whitening and eye enchance.

Depends your workflow. I find Aperture/Lightroom better, more convinient and faster for mass editing. But Photoshop gives you more control over editing the photo, but sometimes requires more steps to accomplish the same tasks in Aperture/Ligthroom.

I tried Aperture before, but still prefer Lightroom. I usually use Lightroom for color and exposure correction. And Photoshop for the more precise/creative editing like fixing skin, composite stuff etc.

Most of the time I just use Lightroom, but if I need use photoshop I will import from Lightroom to Photoshop then back to Lightrom for final colour/exposure touchups then export.

Lightroom 3 is better at noise removal than Aperture 3 for me. But noise removal plugins for Photoshop like Topaz Denoise is even better. Lightroom's noise removal will make the photo loose details if you go above 20.

I think in term of features CS is still the best. But if you are just doing simple editing, then Aperture is good enough.