APERTURE users come in!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jOhO

Apr 20, 2003
Singapore
www.expressivelyjoho.com
Hi all, thinking of switching over to the mac, and one of it's perks (besides the many manu) is aperture.

i haven't had much experience with it except playing around with it at epicentre @ orchard, which is not much. and first off, i have one stupid question.

i hope they have hot keys for the really basic stuff, like WB warmer/cooler, tint warmer/cooler, ev +/-, saturation +/- etc etc..

like in capture one to up ev is ctrl +, to warm up is shift + and tint is ctrl-shift +/- etc...

any other comments about aperture would be appreciated too

:)

Voodoo Mac. Check it out.

I read online that you need a very powerful system to run Aperture smoothly and effectively.

1) Preferable at least dual CPU or dual core.
2) Loads of RAM, 2Gb or more.
3) A good graphics card.

i.e. you need a Mac Pro on steriods.

I use a Mac and am quite happy with my Olympus Studio. So have no plans to go over to Aperture anytime soon.

Hello Joho,

>1) Preferable at least dual CPU or dual core.
>2) Loads of RAM, 2Gb or more.
>3) A good graphics card.

VRman is spot on about Aperture needs. It's one of the few RAW conversion programs that really need a powerful graphic card on the Mac to maximise its potential. Be sure to read the http://discussions.apple.com/category.jspa?categoryID=184 for more discussions on Aperture.

Best
Wesley

thanx for the input guys... yeah i'm looking to getting a macpro (2.66) with 4gb ram and dual graphics cards as i'm using 2x24" displays. should be fine rite? ;p

still trying to work out whether aperture is friendly for "mass producing" photos, since i'm a wedding shooter. hence those hotkeys i mentioned above are very impt to me, i dun wanna be moving the sliders hundrends of times... :dunno:

thanx for the input guys... yeah i'm looking to getting a macpro (2.66) with 4gb ram and dual graphics cards as i'm using 2x24" displays. should be fine rite? ;p

still trying to work out whether aperture is friendly for "mass producing" photos, since i'm a wedding shooter. hence those hotkeys i mentioned above are very impt to me, i dun wanna be moving the sliders hundrends of times... :dunno:

I didn't upgrade my graphics card, it is a single 7300GT, it already has 2 DVI socket, think can support 2 monitor?

Hi all, thinking of switching over to the mac, and one of it's perks (besides the many manu) is aperture.

i haven't had much experience with it except playing around with it at epicentre @ orchard, which is not much. and first off, i have one stupid question.

i hope they have hot keys for the really basic stuff, like WB warmer/cooler, tint warmer/cooler, ev +/-, saturation +/- etc etc..

like in capture one to up ev is ctrl +, to warm up is shift + and tint is ctrl-shift +/- etc...

any other comments about aperture would be appreciated too

:)

between aperture and lightroom, i see lightroom has more potential and power.

its still in its beta stages yet. but it has shown alot of potentials. give lightroom a chance.

;)

MAC is a must if you want speed. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

its still in its beta stages yet. but it has shown alot of potentials. give lightroom a chance.

;)

Pardon my ignorance, is Lightroom like Adobe Photoshop Elements and Aperture is like Photoshop CS?

Pardon my ignorance, is Lightroom like Adobe Photoshop Elements and Aperture is like Photoshop CS?

Photoshop elements ? are you so sure ? Lightroom IMHO is like a mini photoshop with a lot of features like slideshows and etc etc. do a read up.

Photoshop elements ? are you so sure ? Lightroom IMHO is like a mini photoshop with a lot of features like slideshows and etc etc. do a read up.

since it is a mini PS, it will be cheaper than PS and run faster? hee

I didn't upgrade my graphics card, it is a single 7300GT, it already has 2 DVI socket, think can support 2 monitor?

it can support 2x24" but not 2x30".

but that's SUPPORT. running well is another thing. ;p

i'll be looking at 2x30" in future i guess, so i wanna get the set up right in the beginning.

since it is a mini PS, it will be cheaper than PS and run faster? hee

no... Lightroom requires more juice.... and still cannot allocate rams useage and you cant have the scratch disk ability.

it can support 2x24" but not 2x30".

but that's SUPPORT. running well is another thing. ;p

i'll be looking at 2x30" in future i guess, so i wanna get the set up right in the beginning.

Quad Processor Macs + 2X 30' ACDs and u will be flying like jet fighters. remember to give maximum rams that the mac can support.... :thumbsup: :bsmilie:

Quad Processor Macs + 2X 30' ACDs and u will be flying like jet fighters. remember to give maximum rams that the mac can support.... :thumbsup: :bsmilie:

4gb can liow lar... already very ex... :sweat: :sweat:

ECC rams leh.. it's pretty much a server with xeons inside...

;)

Hello Glenn,

I have to disagree with you on this one about Macs and speed, esp with Photoshop and RAW processing software. I don't blame you however, coz Macs were notably faster in the 90s due to PowerPC chips. But in early 2001 till now, PCs (AMD especially) were clocking faster speeds at cooler temps. Also, the absolute fastest Mac with Photoshop is a quad G5 coz Photoshop is not optimized for Intel CPU chips till CS3 next year. The MacPros still cannot beat the old G5s in that aspect. You could be right with Lightroom though, but until it hits the shelves, it's anybody's guess. Aperture had bad start with so-so RAW processing, bugs and a bad price but it's really shaping up now. And since it's optimized for the Intel chips, it should run decently. In my honest opinion, it's a matter of whether the application (Aperture, CaptureOne, iViewmedia, etc) is optimized for the platform AND cpu.

Check out http://www.barefeats.com , they have been doing realworld tests with PCs and Macs on Photoshop for the longest time. I did extensive research both highend Macs and PCs in '02 with Canon RAW processing (CaptureOne wasn't released yet, the only RAW processing was the original Canon raw converter) and was very surprised that the best Macs could not beat a midrange AMD 2200+ in pure proccessing speed. Joho would be very concerned about speed coz running through ~500 to 1000 wedding images at a go is no joke, every second saved counts into minutes and hours over the long run. Buying the very best system *does* translate into getting more business for him.

That said, I have a friend who used Aperture but he finally gave up RAW processing and shot JPEG coz he couldn't find a noticeable difference in quality with the 1DS2 in RAW or JPEG at 8R-12R. :)

Paul > Aperture and Lightroom are not like Photoshop, they do over lap very slightly, but they are primarily RAW processing software at the core. If the overlapping functions fulfill your need then voila!

Joho > You might want to contact Darren Soh about the hotkeys, he did a Aperture workshop with Apple sometime back. I am not sure about his contact details though, sorry. Also, CaptureOne is a very different animal from Aperture, I am sure you've found out that it does not overlap Photoshop and its RAW processing algorithm is one of the best for portraits and faces. Be sure to test the RAW proc at higher isos to see if you are happy with the output on iso noise and overall color.

Best regards
Wesley

I also read that Aperture can corrupt your data, so beware, be afraid :nono: Not sure if they solved the problem with the latest version.

I think it is also Applescriptable, so you can automate a lot of actions and processes.

Wah your next Mac setup is Power siah!

Slight OT but I would get the best suite of RAW converters for my camera and get the fastest computer to get the RAW processing done.

Different RAW processors give different results for different cameras. So we have to find what works for us and our cameras.

I dont know much about other camera brands but for Olympus, the Olympus Studio seems to give the best results followed by Silkypix.

Meanwhile, I am gonna build a dual AMD PC soon to keep my G5 company:)

Status
Not open for further replies.