Aperture ... so?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ndroo-

Deregistered
Nov 6, 2003
Singapore
A newbie here needs to know how does the aperture affects a camera's performance/quality.

eg. C5060 has f/2.8 and C5050 is f/1.8. Is the max aperture important? If yes, then what does it do?

ndroo said:
A newbie here needs to know how does the aperture affects a camera's performance/quality.

eg. C5060 has f/2.8 and C5050 is f/1.8. Is the max aperture important? If yes, then what does it do?

Aperture controls the depth of field of your picture.

The bigger the aperture hole (f number at the smallest), the LESS depth of field in your picture... which means the subject that you wanna take will be in focus (sharp) and the background will be blurred.

The smaller the aperture hole (f number at the biggest), the MORE depth of field in your picture... which means the subject and the background will be in focus. everything will turn out sharp.

C5050 has the f number of 1.8 which means that the aperture size is bigger than C5060. Therefore it has better depth of field than the later.

Another important factor to note, a bigger aperture size allows more light into the camera. Therefore the shutter speed of the camera can be faster than the camera with a smaller aperture size.

Is a max aperture important...?? i guess is up to personal!can't help you on this... but personally, i would prefer a faster lens camera which is C5050! :bsmilie:

Hope this helps... ;)

cheers

SuRfTeC said:
The bigger the aperture hole (f number at the smallest), the more depth of field in your picture... which means the subject that you wanna take will be in focus (sharp) and the background will be blurred.

The smaller the aperture hole (f number at the biggest), the less depth of field in your picture... which means the subject and the background will be in focus. everything will turn out sharp.

C5050 has the f number of 1.8 which means that the aperture size is bigger than C5060. Therefore it has better depth of field than the later.

It also depends on the focal length you are using.If you are using wide angle lens, then you need go near to your subject to blur out the background.etc enviromental portraits, with the person as a foreground and shoot with big aperture with the surrounding background.

With a wide angle lens,you can shoot at wide aperture and still get your pics sharp if you focus at infinity.etc scenery. stopping down the aperture of course will help you get sharper pics.

thanks guys ... appreciate it

SuRfTeC said:

The bigger the aperture hole (f number at the smallest), the more depth of field in your picture... which means the subject that you wanna take will be in focus (sharp) and the background will be blurred.

The smaller the aperture hole (f number at the biggest), the less depth of field in your picture... which means the subject and the background will be in focus. everything will turn out sharp.

Another important factor to note, a bigger aperture size allows more light into the camera. Therefore the shutter speed of the camera can be faster than the camera with a smaller aperture size.

Is a max aperture important...?? i guess is up to personal!can't help you on this... but personally, i would prefer a faster lens camera which is C5050! :bsmilie:

Hope this helps... ;)

cheers

Big aperture (small f-number) gives LESS depth of field.

Small aperture (large f-number) gives MORE depth of field.

roygoh said:
Big aperture (small f-number) gives LESS depth of field.

Small aperture (large f-number) gives MORE depth of field.

:embrass: :embrass:

thanks for the correction, pal!
edited the earlier post already.....! :D

cheers

Also if you have a shallower DOF, you can have nice bokeh or what is commonly known as circles of confusion...:D

SuRfTeC said:

The bigger the aperture hole (f number at the smallest), the LESS depth of field in your picture... which means the subject that you wanna take will be in focus (sharp) and the background will be blurred.

The smaller the aperture hole (f number at the biggest), the MORE depth of field in your picture... which means the subject and the background will be in focus. everything will turn out sharp.

Hope this helps... ;)

cheers

i notice u said "but personally, i would prefer a faster lens camera which is C5050!" ... does that mean f/1.8 is a faster lens? i tot the 5060 is supposed 2 b faster?

ndroo said:
i notice u said "but personally, i would prefer a faster lens camera which is C5050!" ... does that mean f/1.8 is a faster lens? i tot the 5060 is supposed 2 b faster?

the small the f the faster the shuttle be...

ndroo said:

The smaller the f/value, the "faster" the lens.

Status
Not open for further replies.