aperture size questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

whattokingu

Jul 29, 2009
I know this has nothing to do with taking good photographs, but i really want to know.

When they say f/1, does it mean that the aperture diameter is the same length as the focal length?

So for zoom lens, the actual aperture size for the different focal length would vary in size to keep it at say f/2, right?

I know this has nothing to do with taking good photographs, but i really want to know.

When they say f/1, does it mean that the aperture diameter is the same length as the focal length?

So for zoom lens, the actual aperture size for the different focal length would vary in size to keep it at say f/2, right?

Theoretically yup. But I have never seen a f/1 before. Have you?

Yes, it varies to match the focal length if the lens is a constant aperture lens.

The lower end zoom lens have a fixed apeture over a focal length range and thus have a variable aperture range.

Who knows... the current prime range is like

f1= $$, $$$ - $$$$
f1.2 $$$$
f1.8 $$$
F2 $$$

and so on

Hmmmm, apart from being expensive, I wonder how the f0.96 handles. I have a Nikon f/1.2 and the DoF on that is so thin that it is not easy to handle especially when it is a MF lens.

u mean the 50 f/1.2? thats a lens for astro photography!

Anyway there were rumors that nikon wanted to do a f/0.85 lens. haha. but never happened.

Just to side track, on a Macro lens, eg Sigma 150, it's stated as f/2.8, but when it's at it's min foc distance, it's a 5.6. Am i confusing you? haha. It's only a 2.8 at Infinity focus.

Nikon specially designed a lens for low light photography, the legendary
58-mm f/1.2 Noct-Nikkor, which have been designed for optimum correction of coma.
This lens is excellent for wide-field astrophotography because the image is sharp from
edge to edge even shoot wide open at f1.2, but it is tag at astronomical price.

Last edited:
WOW, that's like $$$$$. Photography is really a great business to be in if you have passion for it. :) I am seeing it from the manufacturer's point of view.

Nikon specially designed a lens for low light photography, the legendary
58-mm f/1.2 Noct-Nikkor, which have been designed for optimum correction of coma.
This lens is excellent for wide-field astrophotography because the image is sharp from
edge to edge even shoot wide open at f1.2, but it is tag at astronomical price.

Someone selling this lens at $2500 BNP

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=573191&highlight=58mm+noct

Anyway there were rumors that nikon wanted to do a f/0.85 lens. haha. but never happened.

Just to side track, on a Macro lens, eg Sigma 150, it's stated as f/2.8, but when it's at it's min foc distance, it's a 5.6. Am i confusing you? haha. It's only a 2.8 at Infinity focus.

Eh, is it? I have the AiS 50/1.2 and it does not look at a astro photography lens. My dad got it for his F2AS back in the day. Here is a link to some info on this lens.

This lens is still in production, and sells for slightly over 1k SGD. Not that expensive. Now the 58/1.2 is totally another matter....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.