Aperture + Shutter Speed Relationship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
lsisaxon said:
The area is not increased or decreased linearly. It has to be either doubled or half to increase and decrease by a stop respectively. So if area is doubled or half, the diameter will be multiplied or divided by square root of 2 respectively... which is why the numbers like 1.4, 2.8, 5.6 etc comes in. Square root of 2 is approximately 1.4.
PRO explanation, I learn something today :thumbsup:

espn said:
PRO explanation, I learn something today :thumbsup:
PROer suan!! :thumbsup:

woah, been away from checking the forum for awhile and there's so many replies. :)

Thanks for taking the time and patience for typing out the explanations rainman & zoossh. Im gonna get my hands on the understanding exposure by Bryan Peterson next week and also spend more time shooting to get a clearer picture of what u guys have explained. :sweatsm:

lsisaxon said:
The area is not increased or decreased linearly. It has to be either doubled or half to increase and decrease by a stop respectively. So if area is doubled or half, the diameter will be multiplied or divided by square root of 2 respectively... which is why the numbers like 1.4, 2.8, 5.6 etc comes in. Square root of 2 is approximately 1.4.

i think i failed my explaination again.... what i mean is not "when the aperture opening size area is decreased by n times (linearly 1, 2, 3, 4, 5....)" but "when the aperture opening size area is halved by n times (linearly 1, 2, 3, 4, 5....)". the linearity refers to the no. of times it is halved, like half once, half twice etc....

Clipboard01_000.jpg

i like this article especially...
http://www.uscoles.com/fstop.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.