Aperture Setting ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

strauss

Feb 16, 2008
Singapore
I had taken to single pt AF and aperture priority to get sharper images of my subjects. For bokeh, I try to open up the aperture as much as possible. Is there any guideline for the sharpness infront and behind the subject for different aperture settings? Perhaps, u folks can share a tip or two...thanks!

under normal shooting, it is more or less by instinct.

to isolate subject from background, open up.

for bigger DOF, stop down.

else, shoot at f8-11, cus most lens perform best at these 2 settings.

most cameras ve DOF preview, if u ve time to plan your shot, can use it to preview the DOF before shooting.

else, shot and view on the LCD.

under normal shooting, it is more or less by instinct.

to isolate subject from background, open up.

for bigger DOF, stop down.

else, shoot at f8-11, cus most lens perform best at these 2 settings.

most cameras ve DOF preview, if u ve time to plan your shot, can use it to preview the DOF before shooting.

else, shot and view on the LCD.

I have met photog who immediately know what apperture to use for their shots. You are right, this also depends on the sweet spot of the lens, I guess...

another factor is shutter speed.

sometimes, we wan to use a certain aperture, but the resulting shutter speed will be too slow/fast.

also can play around w ISO to achieve ideal aperture/shutter combo.

It comes with experience; that's the reason some photographers know what setting to use to get sufficient DOF. That said, you could study and memorise depth of field charts, but honestly, I think the time could be better spent shooting, practicing, then in the course of it finding out what settings work for what situations.

That's the reason why some people still prefer primes. You get distance scales which are actually useful.

But distance scales are of little use on an APS-C camera; the readings only hold true on FF right?

newbie here too, its really hard to get the best combi for aperture and shutter speed, i believe its gonna take lotsa practice.
Till now, i could say that im stil a bit confused. haha..

I had taken to single pt AF and aperture priority to get sharper images of my subjects. For bokeh, I try to open up the aperture as much as possible. Is there any guideline for the sharpness infront and behind the subject for different aperture settings? Perhaps, u folks can share a tip or two...thanks!

D80 has the DOF preview button

Normally if you use A the camera will select the best S for you and vice versa ma so just have to be concern with the priority setting. The combination will be done by the camera. For me if after reviewing the shot and histogram the pic turn out not good then I adjust the camera again lor.

But distance scales are of little use on an APS-C camera; the readings only hold true on FF right?

Are you sure?? :think:

I use my 24mm prime and the 70-210 a lot these days and I sometimes guage the distance with the readout on the distance scale, it seems quite accurate to me, esp for the closer distances.

Anyway, back to you.

The aperture selected would depend on the lens I use as well as the light condition and the effect I would like to portray for the scene I'm about to take.

As for your equipment (18-200), you may suffer some softness when you use your lens wide open. And I believe the optimum quality would show at about f8 or so.

But if you have a f2.8 lens, you may be able to push up close to f2.8 and still get quality shots. This normally depends on the quality of the lens.

As for calculation of bokeh in front and behind, there is a DOF calculator. Let me search for it.

Depth of Field Calculator

Just key in the parameters and voila. ;)

Are you sure?? :think:

I use my 24mm prime and the 70-210 a lot these days and I sometimes guage the distance with the readout on the distance scale, it seems quite accurate to me, esp for the closer distances.

The hyperfocal distance scales are measured and optimised for 35mm format. When Kit mentioned they can be used on smaller format cameras, it is true, as smaller format cameras actually give you a greater DOF on the same aperture reading.

Distance readout for focus distance is largely unaffected, regardless of format.

Yes.. I know the DOF is different. But at least I can use the distance for a quick guage before I do my shooting from the hips.. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.