Aperture Priority

Status
Not open for further replies.

icarus

Jan 27, 2002
East
I understand that to achieve a greater depth of field, i will need to set a smaller aperture on my camera.
but when i do that, the pictures turned out to be very very dark...
anyway to solve this problem?

Originally posted by icarus
I understand that to achieve a greater depth of field, i will need to set a smaller aperture on my camera.
but when i do that, the pictures turned out to be very very dark...
anyway to solve this problem?

how "very dark" is dat? can show us one example perhaps? ;) cos usually i dun have probs wif lighting except when i used a high shutter speed in an indoor environment...

Hmm... are you sure you were using aperture priority mode and not manual mode? In aperture priority mode, when you set smaller aperture, the camera will automatically compensate by using slower shutter speed.

My cam don't have the manual controls options leh, only aperture and shutter priority, i noticed when i adjust from F2.8 to F8.0, the shutter speed doesn't change leh... is my cam faulty already?
I always set to full automatic mode when shooting, seldom adjust these settings one leh:dunno:

later i will post a sample of the dark photo :)

What camera is that?

Originally posted by ziploc
What camera is that?

Its an Sony F505V ...
now then i noticed that when i adjust the aperture priority mode from F2.8 to F8.0, the shutter speed is fixed at 1/30 leh, no change... is this a limitation of the camera? or is it a problem with the cam?
the shutter priority works perfectly though.:dunno:

Originally posted by icarus

Its an Sony F505V ...
now then i noticed that when i adjust the aperture priority mode from F2.8 to F8.0, the shutter speed is fixed at 1/30 leh, no change... is this a limitation of the camera? or is it a problem with the cam?
the shutter priority works perfectly though.:dunno:

Turn OFF the flash. In flash mode and Aperture Priority, most cameras (except Canon) will automatically fix the shutter speed at the flash sync speed of about 1/60 or so. Maybe 505 is using 1/30 for flash sync?

Regards
CK

Ah! The camera is in flash sync mode. Mystery solved. :)

Originally posted by ziploc
Ah! The camera is in flash sync mode. Mystery solved. :)

Flash sync?:dunno:
okok, i go turn off my flash see what happens :)
thanx for all ur advices! :thumbsup:

Originally posted by ckiang

Turn OFF the flash. In flash mode and Aperture Priority, most cameras (except Canon) will automatically fix the shutter speed at the flash sync speed of about 1/60 or so. Maybe 505 is using 1/30 for flash sync?

Regards
CK

Er, except Canon? The shutter speed is also fixed at the flash sync speed at 1/60 sec for the G2.

Originally posted by Goondu

Er, except Canon? The shutter speed is also fixed at the flash sync speed at 1/60 sec for the G2.

Try this:
1. Set camera to Av.
2. Go to a dim place. What's the shutter speed? It will be something like 1/2, 1/4s - the ambient exposure. At least on the G1. Even with flash on.

This means the camera automatically uses Slow Sync when in Av mode. Under P, I think it works as expected. Under Tv and M, you can select the shutter speed you want. I find the operation strange.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

Try this:
1. Set camera to Av.
2. Go to a dim place. What's the shutter speed? It will be something like 1/2, 1/4s - the ambient exposure. At least on the G1. Even with flash on.

This means the camera automatically uses Slow Sync when in Av mode. Under P, I think it works as expected. Under Tv and M, you can select the shutter speed you want. I find the operation strange.

Regards
CK

I don't have the camera with me (I'm still in the office) but if I can remember correctly, even in dim light the flash is sync to 1/60 sec. I can't be absolutely sure but will try it when I'm free.

Signs of getting old (for me)?:D

Well..at F8 at Aperture priority. Usually Shuttle speed will compensate. But then It will be very long exposure in area. Then no possible way u can take hand held. Tripod needed. Unless u at bright Sunny Day. I also understand 505 no view finder..maybe u see on the LCD, it may look abit dark. When on PC shouldn't be that way lah. Try it ahh. Let us know. I used to have a 505 (bro's one)

I don't have the camera with me (I'm still in the office) but if I can remember correctly, even in dim light the flash is sync to 1/60 sec. I can't be absolutely sure but will try it when I'm free.

Signs of getting old (for me)?:D

Tried out last night, confirmed that the flash is still sync at 1/60 sec even in dim light. For slow sync, it is only possible when there is no flash.

Is is possible my camera is spoilt in this case?

Tried out last night, confirmed that the flash is still sync at 1/60 sec even in dim light. For slow sync, it is only possible when there is no flash.

Is is possible my camera is spoilt in this case?

Maybe they changed the implementation for the G2. :)

Regards
CK

I can testify for the G1 as I own one and am I pissed or what! I don't understand why Canon does not allow the G1 to be set to the X-sync speed of 1/250 when using flash in Av mode.

Regards,
Juay Kwang

Status
Not open for further replies.