Aperture Priority mode and extremely long shutter times

I got my first dslr 5 days ago. Think I more of a noob lol. And sure, we can shoot together! :D

Then your first stop should be the camera manual (lots of things are explained there already) and the Newbies Guide linked above. You need to understand what the camera is doing, what the different settings mean and what the basics of exposure are. Otherwise you only tinker around and results will be randomly without understanding. If you don't want to dive into these topics yet just use P or the respective Scene Modes and just observe what the camera is doing.

Decided to try out aperture priority mode after shooting Auto for a few days. On a D5100 with 18-55 kit lens. Tried taking stuff in my room on 18mm with f/8 and f/22. The shutter time is really long, 3-4 secs and it results in really out of focus pictures. ISO is at 100. However, taking a landscape picture at 18mm and f/22, the shutter is almost instant and produces pretty clear images. I am sure I am missing out on some settings that I need to adjust but I cant figure out which it is. :dunno:

Of course, your room will never be as bright as the outdoors...?

Decided to try out aperture priority mode after shooting Auto for a few days. On a D5100 with 18-55 kit lens. Tried taking stuff in my room on 18mm with f/8 and f/22. The shutter time is really long, 3-4 secs and it results in really out of focus pictures. ISO is at 100. However, taking a landscape picture at 18mm and f/22, the shutter is almost instant and produces pretty clear images. I am sure I am missing out on some settings that I need to adjust but I cant figure out which it is. :dunno:

eh aperture priority can set the shutter times to be anything, so be prepared for slightly slower shutters. also, with good light ouside, naturally the shutter speed increases and and iso decreases, thus the images when handheld would be clearer. as many have mentioned, the light of indoors matters

SacredSoul said:

One basic but v impt teaching that u must know in photography is that "light is your best friend".

More light u have, the better it is. In basics, Light and ISO work inversely, among other things

You are not missing out on settings, you are missing out on understanding of light.

The very basics of photography is capturing light, very much like what your eyes are seeing. Without light, you will see nothing.

The sun is the light source that lights up the whole world(daytime), while your room's bulb is only used to light up your room.

So does it make sense now why landscape shot is almost instant while in your room is 3-4 secs?

Thanks for all the comments. Has really helped me. I've got another question though. I went out to take some photos today. Shot in Aperture priority mode. The first image is underexposed, the 2nd image is overexposed and the 3rd image is just right. All photos were shot within seconds from one another. HDR mode was off. Exposure compensation was set to 0.0. Any idea why the shots turned out like that? I even tried setting a higher ISO but no dice.

Thanks for all the comments. Has really helped me. I've got another question though. I went out to take some photos today. Shot in Aperture priority mode. The first image is underexposed, the 2nd image is overexposed and the 3rd image is just right. All photos were shot within seconds from one another. HDR mode was off. Exposure compensation was set to 0.0. Any idea why the shots turned out like that? I even tried setting a higher ISO but no dice.
Did you accidentally turn on exposure bracketing? It's the way this function works: 3 images, one is over, one is under, third one is spot on.
I suggest resetting your camera to factory defaults ... should bring you back to a baseline without hidden surprises.

Did you accidentally turn on exposure bracketing? It's the way this function works: 3 images, one is over, one is under, third one is spot on.
I suggest resetting your camera to factory defaults ... should bring you back to a baseline without hidden surprises.

Auto bracketing is switched off. Will try resetting camera to factory defaults. Thank you.

It definitely sounds like bracketing. -, +, 0

otherwise, it may be pure coincidence u metered the exposures in this manner