Aperture or Lightroom better for tethered shooting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsybitsyspidy

Jul 5, 2004
Anyone has worked with tethered shooting using either of these two software? Which would be a better one / easier to setup / works better with nikon? I'll be running it on a macbook pro, and i intend to use tethering to display the images to my client while i'm shooting products for him on site.

Thanks!

I'm shooting on a Canon, and with the installed Canon software for tethered shooting, I set up the save-file location somewhere on my harddrive. Then, I point my Lightroom2 to the save folder and turn on auto-import. This took me 2minutes.

So whenever I shoot an image tethered, I'll just wait about 4 seconds before the entire image is shown on the monitor.

no additional software is needed for aperture2. just set your usb mode on your cam, start tethered session and fire away. after 3-4 secs the photo appears in your current project.

tested with D3 and S5 Pro.

Aperture allows you to shoot tethered direct to its library, no other software / plugins needed. Afterwhich you can also process the images from within the application. If you'd like a straightforward workflow, this is the one.

However, you may have a preference for the capabilities of processing in Lightroom, which in my opinion is superior to what aperture is offering at the moment. In this case, best to follow the suggestion of our bro, shoot via EOS utility for eg, and point Lightroom to the capture folder.

You can also shoot tethered to Aperture, and then use Lightroom, but i think you'd probably need an intermediate process of exporting the master raw files (due to the way aperture handles the library files). This takes up more time.

Sorry didn't see you're a Nikon user. If Nikon did not provide software for tethered shooting, then I guess Aperture is the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.