Aperture or CS or Lightroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

silversurfer

Jun 12, 2006
Hi, like to seek some opinions here on photo editing software. Here is some background so that you can understand my profile abit:

1) i use macbook
2) i do not take RAW pics
3) i am kinda of lazy and only spend 10% of my time editing pics, but i still like to have the ability to do so
4) i have used CS3 somewhat and find it difficult to use, save for the simpler features like levels, contrast, unsharpening etc

So my question, is if i am looking for a photo editing tool, on mac, no need too much POWER since i do not spend alot of time in editing and yet reasonably easy to use, what would it be?

Thanks

u have a mac and do not spend much time editing? :bigeyes::think::what:

u have a mac and do not spend much time editing? :bigeyes::think::what:
:dunno: have mac = need to spend much time editing? where did u event get this idea? :dunno:
i noe mac user who not even a photo/videographer = spend no time editing photo/video, are they wrong in anyway?

Hi, like to seek some opinions here on photo editing software. Here is some background so that you can understand my profile abit:

1) i use macbook
3) i am kinda of lazy and only spend 10% of my time editing pics, but i still like to have the ability to do so
4) i have used CS3 somewhat and find it difficult to use, save for the simpler features like levels, contrast, unsharpening etc

So my question, is if i am looking for a photo editing tool, on mac, no need too much POWER since i do not spend alot of time in editing and yet reasonably easy to use, what would it be?

Thanks

Since you do not take RAW (which you should.....;)). How about the easier to use Adobe PhotoShop Element.... ver 6.0 is out. Cheaper than CS and not as hard to use. Can still process RAW image if need be.

BTW.... lightroom is mainly for RAW processing. It could of course do Jpeg too..... But at its cost.... much cheaper to use Element.

Unless you are talking about 'JB edition' software..... :bsmilie: :sweat:

1) i use macbook

Thanks

the included iphoto seems more suited to your needs since you do not take RAW pics and dont do much editing.

Since you do not take RAW (which you should.....;)). How about the easier to use Adobe PhotoShop Element.... ver 6.0 is out. Cheaper than CS and not as hard to use. Can still process RAW image if need be.

BTW.... lightroom is mainly for RAW processing. It could of course do Jpeg too..... But at its cost.... much cheaper to use Element.

Unless you are talking about 'JB edition' software..... :sweat:

naughty naughty.... :nono::bsmilie:.... just get someone with student pass, buy the academic edition of the Lightroom.... very affordable.... :thumbsup:

naughty naughty.... :nono::bsmilie:.... just get someone with student pass, buy the academic edition of the Lightroom.... very affordable.... :thumbsup:

hahaha.... only telling the truth :bsmilie:;)

But for TS case..... just using iPhoto would be more than enough.

hahaha.... only telling the truth :bsmilie:;)

But for TS case..... just using iPhoto would be more than enough.

heeee understood.... but ya, if he looking for something more, can consider Lightroom..... good for batch processing.... I also considering Element 6 actually.... got the old CS (not CS2 or CS3), so don't know whether to go for E6 to compliment with Lightroom.... or maybe Paint Shop Pro... :devil:

heeee understood.... but ya, if he looking for something more, can consider Lightroom..... good for batch processing.... I also considering Element 6 actually.... got the old CS (not CS2 or CS3), so don't know whether to go for E6 to compliment with Lightroom.... or maybe Paint Shop Pro... :devil:

I'm using Element 5.0 and Lightroom..... thinking of getting Element 6.0 later. ;)

1) i use macbook

Thanks

I reckon u might juz need iPhoto tt came with your Mac, as suggested by some CS'er. It will meet your (listed) requirement and more. Furthermore, it is FREE. I use it for my casual snap shots (JPEG), and uses Aperture only for my (more serious) RAW workflow.

dan

uses a macbk but doesn't do editing? doesn't shoot in RAW! CS3 but didn't use? how cans!!! arghhh!! :p

i shoot in RAW but i wished i hv the rest of the mechanism i.e macbk and CS3 or watever editing prog. :)

As a fellow Mac user, this is what I think too. Indeed, if you only need to do brightening/ levels, contrast, some mild sharpening, and perhaps at times some fanciful vignetting effects, you won't need more than iPhoto, which comes free. On top of that, iPhoto does help to manage your pictures somewhat, as it allows you to add keywords. iPhoto 08 allows for non-destructive editing as well, and also support for RAW as well.

just use LR .. simple enough for simple editing

basic JPEG editing... use picasa :thumbsup:

I'm using Element 5.0 and Lightroom..... thinking of getting Element 6.0 later. ;)

vey tempted to get Element 6 also... :lovegrin:.... for not so complicated editing,should be okay I guess.... but how do you you feel... the 2 compliment each other well???

vey tempted to get Element 6 also... :lovegrin:.... for not so complicated editing,should be okay I guess.... but how do you you feel... the 2 compliment each other well???

I use Lightroom to edit the RAW file because you could get more Color, Tone, Hue..... etc, Control than on Element. Save the file in Jpeg, then transfer the file to Element for things like Resize, Crop, make Border and other adjustment..... since you can't do much of that on Lightroom...... and I'm more used to using Element anyway.... :bsmilie:

I use Lightroom to edit the RAW file because you could get more Color, Tone, Hue..... etc, Control than on Element. Save the file in Jpeg, then transfer the file to Element for things like Resize, Crop, make Border and other adjustment..... since you can't do much of that on Lightroom...... and I'm more used to using Element anyway.... :bsmilie:

hmmmm any other stuff that is useful and easier as compare to CS??? Cause if just using Element to resize, crop, make border...think my old CS can do rite??? :dunno:....

Status
Not open for further replies.