Aperture 2 - Crop Aspect Ratios not accurate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yatlapball

May 13, 2006
Volcano Land
www.emotively.com
Am I the only one facing this problem? Just started experimenting with Aperture2 today.

After setting the ratios and cropping, I look at the pixels and re-calculate the aspect ratio, it's slightly off (by 0.0something).

I've figured out a workaround, which is to crop to get an almost exact size, then manually calculate and adjust the pixels (+/- a few) to achieve the aspect ratio required. If not, it's really annoying that at the export phase when i downsize, i get sizes that are off by a few pixels or two. e.g. instead of 750x500, i see sizes like 750x499, 500x748...

It probably doesn't matter much when printing, but it sure is obvious when you display them on a web gallery. (at least to me)

Are there easier ways to go around this? Maybe a free plug-in of some sorts? Because the for some reason only known to the developers, they conveniently left out an option to force the resize to specific dimensions...

Trying to do away with going into PS completely... so no, don't tell me to go into PS and crop, resize, then re-export. I know that it works perfectly fine there. :bsmilie:

Ok... While they have tweaked the crop tool a little, it seems that it still hasn't fixed the problem. It does appear that this is not a problem unique to Aperture alone, I experimented with others like iPhoto, Capture NX, DPP,... they all have a similar problem with cropping to an exact ratio, with only Adobe Photoshop having an algorithm(?) somewhere that forces the width-height combination to be exact.

Status
Not open for further replies.