Apache Helicopters Return..

Status
Not open for further replies.

k3nn3th03

Jan 6, 2005
Three Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) Apache Longbow attack helicopters (AH-64D) returned to Singapore today, after a four-year deployment in Arizona with the Republic of Singapore Air Force's Peace Vanguard detachment.

http://www.asiaone.com/a1news/20060123_story3_1.html

Fierce!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Nice.

Juz 1 Apache can wreck havoc on a single infantry battalion. Makes me wonder why the hell shld we need us ground troopers. :dunno:

Send in the birdies and arty to flatten everything the enemy has. Who needs ground troopers?

I was always wondering why in war movies, they always send in the ground troopers FIRST! And only when the ground troopers meet resistance then they send in the air support. Maybe it makes for better movie watching, but I find it quite silly as a strategy.

See shows like Starship troopers (this is the classic) and We were soldiers

jsbn said:
Nice.

Juz 1 Apache can wreck havoc on a single infantry battalion. Makes me wonder why the hell shld we need us ground troopers. :dunno:

Send in the birdies and arty to flatten everything the enemy has. Who needs ground troopers?

air planes & choppers project power but cannot hold ground. only ground troops can. surely u know that. why else do we have an army when we have reputably the best air force in the region?

jsbn said:
Nice.

You need a beng beng rifleman to plant the flag on the ground you owned! :)

vince123123 said:
I was always wondering why in war movies, they always send in the ground troopers FIRST! And only when the ground troopers meet resistance then they send in the air support. Maybe it makes for better movie watching, but I find it quite silly as a strategy.

See shows like Starship troopers (this is the classic) and We were soldiers

You don't always know the exact place the enemy is. Knowing the general area is not good enough. Air support has limited loitering time and limited planes, fuel, ammunition, pilots, etc.

Some important assualts (vietnam era) will start with a massive b-52 airbombing strike, before the ground pounders attack. What the enemy did was to hide in their underground bunkers and wait out the bombing, then rush out e moment the bombing ends to deny the marine's advance. It worked very well.

The bunker hiding may be an exception. I was talking more about those which are not exactly hiding. I'd think its more efficient to send in recon planes, then the bombers. Rather than infantry on foot and then when they start dying, then the bombers.

Even if you must recon on foot, a small force of scouts to recon and laser targets is much better than sending in a whole division, all die, then you bomb.

foxtwo said:
You don't always know the exact place the enemy is. Knowing the general area is not good enough. Air support has limited loitering time and limited planes, fuel, ammunition, pilots, etc.

Some important assualts (vietnam era) will start with a massive b-52 airbombing strike, before the ground pounders attack. What the enemy did was to hide in their underground bunkers and wait out the bombing, then rush out e moment the bombing ends to deny the marine's advance. It worked very well.

vince123123 said:
The bunker hiding may be an exception. I was talking more about those which are not exactly hiding. I'd think its more efficient to send in recon planes, then the bombers. Rather than infantry on foot and then when they start dying, then the bombers.

Even if you must recon on foot, a small force of scouts to recon and laser targets is much better than sending in a whole division, all die, then you bomb.

that IS exactly how army usually operates. of course they wouldn't show you the recce part in the movies, too boring and tedious. ;p

Hmm, but the army doesn't send in the ground troops before the air bombardment right?

hwchoy said:
that IS exactly how army usually operates. of course they wouldn't show you the recce part in the movies, too boring and tedious. ;p

vince123123 said:
Hmm, but the army doesn't send in the ground troops before the air bombardment right?
troopers may be needed to identify and locate the targets to be bombed

Yah which is my point, its a scouting party, not an big assault party.

roti_prata said:
troopers may be needed to identify and locate the targets to be bombed

ok, but nt everything can be bombed. uban environments w/civillians involved requires armor/infantry spearhead

jsbn said:
Nice.

You can't rid the enemy with airpower and arty alone. The Yanks in Nam found that out. Large amounts of Napalm or TNT dropped on VC positions didn't do much damage, the VC just hid underground and came back up once the shellling stopped.

This is still the case in current conflicts like Afghanistan even with improved ordinance.

aiyoh... all these ground troops trained and then sit back and watch fireworks? boring right?

on a more serious note; sending in ground troops in with aerial support is wise. how much can you shell in a minute and what's the hit ratio? i think a fight on ground can yield better hit ratio unless the guys are all screwed-eyes lah.

afbug said:
You need a beng beng rifleman to plant the flag on the ground you owned! :)
My strategy for C&C Generals - Flatten the entire place with heavy arty, mechanized mobile divisions and air power.

Den I send in 2 sections of soldiers to capture the place one by one.

Well, dats me. :D

foxtwo said:

That's where Fuel-Air Bombs comes into place. :think:

But during Nam, they dun have Fuel Air Bombs to suck the living air out of underground tunnels though. :(

jsbn said:
My strategy for C&C Generals - Flatten the entire place with heavy arty, mechanized mobile divisions and air power.

Den I send in 2 sections of soldiers to capture the place one by one.

Well, dats me. :D
C&C they don't have underground bunkers for soldiers to hide in...:bsmilie:

Use US army loh. I think they have Fuel Air Bomb.

1 strike flatten the area. :D Including half-dead civilian structures.
Use it in combination with the A10 Thunderbolts, Apaches, Fighter Planes and Auouras.

U can finish the enemy straightaway.

k3nn3th03 said:
Three Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) Apache Longbow attack helicopters (AH-64D) returned to Singapore today, after a four-year deployment in Arizona with the Republic of Singapore Air Force's Peace Vanguard detachment.

http://www.asiaone.com/a1news/20060123_story3_1.html

Can we see them in coming Aerospace ?? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.