AO Transition Lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeowww

Mar 6, 2004
Somewhere out there
anyone wearing the AO transition lens? does it affect yr photo-taking??

im thinking of making one.

thanks

A lof of ppl said it's cheaper in JB Brought my wife there recently to make a pair of spectacle with transition lenses costing only RM628 (S$275). I heard here it's like cost about S500 or more.

in sg, the lens starting price is around SGD180, for 200+ degrees la. for abt 600degrees=SGD600

errr...got new 4-D number to buy??

Yeowww said:
in sg, the lens starting price is around SGD180, for 200+ degrees la. for abt 600degrees=SGD600

errr...got new 4-D number to buy??

That's only the lenses. You haven't include the price of the spectacle frame. Sorry, no new 4-D no. to buy. Save those money for 4-D nos. for your new spectacle, lah. :)

Maybe you can go for other brands, not necessary the one on advertisement. I have asked before, starting price from $150. However, the shop attendant told me the plastic may turn yellow or something like that after say 1 year later. but well, since i wasn't that interested, so didn't probe further.

i think this is old technology.. i remember they had it a long time ago..
didn't really catch on. :dunno:

Then mine must be a good catch. Got it for only 260 bucks.

Nope... doesn't affect my photo taking much, mainly because there's is minimal-no colour casts with my lens (its the grey one). However, what you see would be like looking through a polariser (ie more vivid blues, greater contrast), as the lens sort of act like a polariser/ND filter for your eyes, so there are times when I have to take it off to look at the scene to determine how much glare there really is, or what the actual sky colour is like.

It's really useful though... have been travelling for the past two weeks in tibet, and I was glad that I had no need to change to sunglasses, etc in the super bright sunlight here. Transiting back to clear is a bit slow though, so when I went in from bright sunlight to dimly lit monastaries, need to really wait a while before I can see what's happening.

justarius said:
.....Transiting back to clear is a bit slow though, so when I went in from bright sunlight to dimly lit monastaries, need to really wait a while before I can see what's happening.

yr 'wait a while' is about how long?

Yeowww said:
yr 'wait a while' is about how long?

There are actually various types of lens that can change in darker shade. Transition lens, which is also called photo grey, as the name implies, changes into grey when there are UV ray. The heavier the UV ray, the darker the shade of grey. It's the more expensive and the color changes quite fast from outdoor to indoor and vice versa. Those that are changed into brown color are cheaper and take a longer time to change. They go by other names.

justarius said:
ard 5 mins to go from full dark to clear. Its quicker going from clear to full dark...

Later fall down how ???

yah... was scared of that too, cos the monastery staircase quite dark and winding... but still can see a bit... anyway, this is a situation unlikely to occur in Singapore... when I was in singapore, didn't experience any difficulty at all in transiting from indoors to outdoors and vice versa, but in Tibet the contrast is really too great... fierce outdoor sun (UV even higher that Singapore cos of the height, so the lens are much darker) with dark gloomy interiors.

redstorm said:
There are actually various types of lens that can change in darker shade. Transition lens, which is also called photo grey, as the name implies, changes into grey when there are UV ray. The heavier the UV ray, the darker the shade of grey. It's the more expensive and the color changes quite fast from outdoor to indoor and vice versa. Those that are changed into brown color are cheaper and take a longer time to change. They go by other names.

i know photo-grey many many years back, my old man had it.
i would assumed that after so many years, technlogy has changed/improved

gotta go optical shop to check it out liao

I tot of changing it last week but the shop advise that when there is UV confirm will change color and the stronger the UV the darker it can goes (confirm wouldnt happen in locate).

There are 2 type of AO transition lens, the one on ad is much more ex than the other brand.

End up i just get normal lens, maybe suitable for people who work indoor or travellers.

redstorm said:
That's only the lenses. You haven't include the price of the spectacle frame. Sorry, no new 4-D no. to buy. Save those money for 4-D nos. for your new spectacle, lah. :)
i got mine done at parkway parade for $228 nett incl frame. i also saw that price at burlington square. i think not that x in singapore leh.

Status
Not open for further replies.