Anyway to verify if dust on sensor has been cleared on the spot?

wattky

Jun 24, 2006
Hi friends, if I send my camera for sensor cleaning at CSC, is there anyway or method to verify or check that the dusts have been cleared on the spot at CSC?

shoot at very small aperture like f22 at a white wall. move it around to eliminate dirt on your wall showing up in the image. Those that will show up on your images are dust spots.

I understand that I can check for dust using a small aperture like f22 shooting at a white background but thats more for like at home right? What I'm asking is how to verify on the spot at the service center after they've cleaned my sensor.

find a white wall or shoot into the sky. if you are not happy with the job, go back to complain.

I understand that I can check for dust using a small aperture like f22 shooting at a white background but thats more for like at home right? What I'm asking is how to verify on the spot at the service center after they've cleaned my sensor.
no white wall you can use ceiling, or a piece of paper, or anything is plain,
you can bring a notebook if you want.

Small aperture around f/16 with a clean white or light-coloured background should be gd enough. On monday I brought my 5D for sensor, viewfinder and focusing screen cleaning. After an hr when collecting, I checked again and the usual dust spot is still there so I requested on the spot to clean again. 10mins later, was done by another technician and my focusing screen replaced with a new one.

Last edited:
Small aperture around f/16 with a clean white or light-coloured background should be gd enough. On monday I brought my 5D for sensor, viewfinder and focusing screen cleaning. After an hr when collecting, I checked again and the usual dust spot is still there so I requested on the spot to clean again. 10mins later, was done by another technician and my focusing screen replaced with a new one.

wow thats value for money there~ =P

anyway, i usually turn to manual mode, set to the smalleset aperture you can, then take a long long exposure, and direct it towards the ceiling and point it around. the idea is to disgustingly overexpose the whole screen/image, then check for black spots in the resultant image. generally it works for me.

Hi,

Read in one of the photography books, you can point the camera at a light source, and shoot with lens wide open. Any dust on the sensor will show up immediately.

Frankly, never tried before but good if you do not have any white wall around. Surely we can find a direct light source.

:)

Hi,

Read in one of the photography books, you can point the camera at a light source, and shoot with lens wide open. Any dust on the sensor will show up immediately.

Frankly, never tried before but good if you do not have any white wall around. Surely we can find a direct light source.

:)

mm... you cant do wide open.. you'd probably 'bokeh' the dust out. it has to be stopped down, usually as much as you can. thats for those who are really anal about dust in lenses.

if you're more forgiving, just set the aperture to something which you'd usually shoot at, maximum, ie f11.

but of course, if you're paying to have sensor cleaned, no quarter. spotless, or re-do. =P

wow thats value for money there~ =P

anyway, i usually turn to manual mode, set to the smalleset aperture you can, then take a long long exposure, and direct it towards the ceiling and point it around. the idea is to disgustingly overexpose the whole screen/image, then check for black spots in the resultant image. generally it works for me.

Actually in Av mode just adjust to the lens' smallest aperture can already.

Wow they replaced the focusing screen FOC?

Thanx everyone, for your inputs. Before these, I was thinking that I have to mount the camera on a tripod and shoot at a white background. Didn't occur to me that I can over-expose the photo to see if there is anymore dust spots. :bsmilie:

Haha u wait long long ah, it costs $11. I suppose they didn't clean it as the focusing screen is easily scratched, so they replace it instead.

I see, coz I am thinking of changing my 5D focusing screen, and CSC asked me to go to the showroom at Vivo instead...