Anyway to track down bad driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hobbesyeo

Feb 16, 2005
Singapore
www.sxc.hu
I almost had an accident with this car (one of those damned modified ah-beng types) which was overtaking quite recklessly. :angry:

Is there any way to track down the car owner if I have the car plate numbers? (For the purposes of taking legal action)

Write in to traffic police to make official complain

forget abt it .... 1st u need proof , such as video clips of his reckless act . No proof , u think TP will take action ?? These driver very common nowadays , if he didn't hit you , forget and let go. Easy said than done...yeap but it's the best solution. No point start rally race with him etc etc. His life cheap , yours not mah .... especially if you've wife/child etc.

Thanks all for your comments.

I was really quite cheesed off by that car. I mean, how much time can you really save on a conjested expressway? sheesh...

Anyway, I do realise that complaining to police etc etc, you need proof, eye witness etc etc.

Just letting off steam. :cool:

A few years ago I was driving on expressway on sunday morning, very little traffic so I drove on fast lane and enjoyed, suddenly 1 car steered from middle lane and in front of me, I emergency braked, car spinned almost hit the wall, luckily my car got ABS, so I steady the car then chased up the fella, forced him to stop and questioned him, he looked at my car no damage, asked me injury or not, then asked me what I want, I was stuck, really what do I want???

Thats life.

Astin said:
A few years ago I was driving on expressway on sunday morning, very little traffic so I drove on fast lane and enjoyed, suddenly 1 car steered from middle lane and in front of me, I emergency braked, car spinned almost hit the wall, luckily my car got ABS, so I steady the car then chased up the fella, forced him to stop and questioned him, he looked at my car no damage, asked me injury or not, then asked me what I want, I was stuck, really what do I want???

Thats life.
His apology?

Astin said:
... he looked at my car no damage, asked me injury or not, then asked me what I want, I was stuck, really what do I want???

Thats life.

Exactly. That is what really got me so angry. Unless there is damage or injury, there's nothing else you can do, even if you know the other party's name etc.

Must there really be an accident before these blo*dy drivers realise what they are doing is almost criminal?

Is there a way to track and penalise such reckless drivers (with due process etc)? :think:

Astin said:

Thats life.
ask him to spin around on the expressway like u did and land unharmed like u were? :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

jOhO said:
ask him to spin around on the expressway like u did and land unharmed like u were? :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

next time I dare not sit in your car liao ..:sweat:

I think TP can charge/fine them dangerous driving, but must have proof though.

Buy cheap cheap P&S digital here on CS, keep battery charged, keep in car. If got passenger, ask them to snap (if you remember about the camera while adrenalin is surging through you), or if anything happens, it's for evidence as well.

Hobbesyeo said:
Exactly. That is what really got me so angry. Unless there is damage or injury, there's nothing else you can do, even if you know the other party's name etc.

Must there really be an accident before these blo*dy drivers realise what they are doing is almost criminal?

Is there a way to track and penalise such reckless drivers (with due process etc)? :think:
I think not possible.
Police dont arrest a person before he commits a crime.
Police only arrest a person after he commits a crime.

Time to install hi rez vid cams on all the cars. Just like how they do it for the US patrol cars :bsmilie:

Even if you don't have proof, make the police report anyway. I doubt if they can take any official action right now but at least have his license plate number on record. It may help in future.

Write in to TP, stating in "FACTS" the date/time/location of the incident. Be very clear of his actions before/during/after the incident. What did his act cause you to do during/after the incident?

If he overtook recklessly, what do you gauge his speed to be? Was he overtaking you? Were you speeding? Did he cause you to brake violently as a result of his actions? Did his actions cause danger to road-users other than yourself?

Keep your letter clear of emotional langauge and state only facts. They would probably ask you down for a statement at TP HQ and ask you for more details. They may or may not press charges against the other party, depending on how strong and effective your statement is. If they do press charges, be prepared to be presented as a witness in court if he claims trial.

In other words, if you were speeding too, you may wish to avoid going to court, since he may put it to you that you were speeding as well and there's just too much mumbo jumbo involved thereafter.

even if you can track them down, may i ask what do you intent to do with the information?

Hobbesyeo said:
I almost had an accident with this car (one of those damned modified ah-beng types) which was overtaking quite recklessly. :angry:

Is there any way to track down the car owner if I have the car plate numbers? (For the purposes of taking legal action)

just like our emergency vehicles e.g. ambulances and fire engines.

TMC said:
Time to install hi rez vid cams on all the cars. Just like how they do it for the US patrol cars :bsmilie:

what you said is not accurate. the intent of the perpetrator together with circumstantial evidence may lead to arrest. eg. the police spot-check a man armed with screw driver, lock breaker, etc while on his way to a shop he intend to break in can be detained and charged, if necessary.

i have personally assisted the police in a case which was somewhat similiar to the circumstances as described above.

Astin said:
I think not possible.
Police dont arrest a person before he commits a crime.
Police only arrest a person after he commits a crime.

Hobbesyeo said:

Maybe you can post the car type (including color etc) and the plate numbers, so we can avoid the car when we see it on the road. :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.