Anyway to reduce or remove washout

Status
Not open for further replies.

ongsw

Oct 2, 2003
www.francisong.com
I notice that a few photos that I took had washout faces due to flashes and wondering if there is anyway to digitally reduce or remove that.

Thanks in advance

Adobe Elements 2.0 should be able to...
I unistalled it after 1 day. So didn't get to use it much.

ongsw said:
I notice that a few photos that I took had washout faces due to flashes and wondering if there is anyway to digitally reduce or remove that.

Thanks in advance

You can correct it by doing the following:

1. Duplicate the layer.
2. Change the blend mode of the duplicated layer to multiply.
3. Repeat the above 2 steps till you are satified.
4. If after duplicating a layer and if it is too strong, you can always adjust the opacity until the desired level is acheived.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

In digital photos, once you overexpose a subject and "blow the highlights", it is impossible to recover any detail since the blown out area all show maximum pixel intensity values.

If the area affected is small, eg flash reflected off someone's nose or forehead, it may be possible to "clone" out the area using Photoshop.

linse said:
In digital photos, once you overexpose a subject and "blow the highlights", it is impossible to recover any detail since the blown out area all show maximum pixel intensity values.

If the area affected is small, eg flash reflected off someone's nose or forehead, it may be possible to "clone" out the area using Photoshop.

Try the above method, it can bring back some of the detail.

coke21 said:
You can correct it by doing the following:

1. Duplicate the layer.
2. Change the blend mode of the duplicated layer to multiply.
3. Repeat the above 2 steps till you are satified.
4. If after duplicating a layer and if it is too strong, you can always adjust the opacity until the desired level is acheived.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

One question : why do you do this instead of doing a Levels or Curves adjustment ?
Levels or Curves can adjust the brightness directly.

thanks...dark

darkavgr said:
One question : why do you do this instead of doing a Levels or Curves adjustment ?
Levels or Curves can adjust the brightness directly.

thanks...dark

There are actually alot of other ways to do what you desire. PS is that powerful. The reason why I do that is becos sometimes, adjusting levels and curves can change the colour compostion that I want to retain.

Similarly, adjusting brightness and contrast can control brightness also rite?

I use layers because in the instances that a portrait is washed out, doing the layers and changing the blending mode can actually bring out the details of the face which was "blown out" by the flash.

Guess its a matter of preference and how you want to PS your shot...:D

Photoshop CS has a new feature that could recover details in shadowed and highlighted areas. You can do this either in the Simple or Advanced modes where you have more control over how much details to recover.
Very useful feature to have I must say.

coke21 said:
There are actually alot of other ways to do what you desire. PS is that powerful. The reason why I do that is becos sometimes, adjusting levels and curves can change the colour compostion that I want to retain.

Similarly, adjusting brightness and contrast can control brightness also rite?

I use layers because in the instances that a portrait is washed out, doing the layers and changing the blending mode can actually bring out the details of the face which was "blown out" by the flash.

Guess its a matter of preference and how you want to PS your shot...:D
You can switch to LAB mode, where the lumininance and colors are on different channels. DON'T adjust brightness and contrast; it does not have a fine enough control.

What tomcat said ^^^ is also doable. It is actually very powerful and takes much shorter effort to achieve what you wanted. Very useful feature! :D

tomcat said:
Photoshop CS has a new feature that could recover details in shadowed and highlighted areas. You can do this either in the Simple or Advanced modes where you have more control over how much details to recover.
Very useful feature to have I must say.

More than one way to skin a cat ? ... ;)
can't resist this one after seeing your pics...

dark

Skin a cat !!
darkavgr said:
More than one way to skin a cat ? ... ;)
can't resist this one after seeing your pics...

dark
Whaaat ?? :bigeyes: :bigeyes: Skin a cat???
One way is one way too many already ....
So cruel :nono:

Watcher said:
You can switch to LAB mode, where the lumininance and colors are on different channels. DON'T adjust brightness and contrast; it does not have a fine enough control.

What tomcat said ^^^ is also doable. It is actually very powerful and takes much shorter effort to achieve what you wanted. Very useful feature! :D

Thanks for the suggetion. Will try it the next time when I get "washed out" faces...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.