Anyway quick way to manage photos in iPad quickly

pchengws

Oct 26, 2009
Red Dot Island
Dear CSers,

I bought my wife an iPad Air 2 with 128GB, this is where my problem starts. She wants all her old photos be uploaded to iPad so she can show to her friends and relatives as and when she wants to gossip. That went all well just upload it but it took a while (hours). That is all the photos I must loaded to my local drive not on external network drive at home.

My local drive is a SSD disk only 256GB. I switch to the SSD drive whne the original 500GB drive crashed on me. It works well until I loaded all her photos and occupied the disk space. This is the point I am having problem. I need to remove some old folders away to make way for the new photos to come in. I still need working space for my work space too.

iTunes does not like this. Photo folders went off, when I sync to upload the new folders, the removed folders will go off from iPad also. I realise I need to compress the photos on my local disk. I need to do two things. One is to compress all the photos in original JPG about 1 to 2MB large down to smaller size. it will result to more working folders I need either in the network drive or local drive. Any way to do it with a simple command rather than I use the software to convert one more time to a smaller size photos?

Second is that can I keep the folders on the iPad yet I remove from my local disk to make way for the new photo folders? I do not seem to have the way to control it. Once I unchecked those uploaded photo folders, it will disappear from iPad after the fresh upload.

Your kind advise is highly appreciated. My hair already white enough do not wish to have it all fallen off.

Thank you guys.

Well, you need to do photo management with software eg. Lightroom.
Nowadays, external hdd is affordable, just copy the whole lot of photos to external hdd and use Lightroom to manage from there.
As for iTunes photos organizing, I'm can't help as iTunes don't allow multi level sub folders on iPad. Only on 1level of folders for each event.

Thank you jnet6. I do use Light room but this is iTunes and iPad problem really. The original photos are on external disk, I have 2 x 6TB backup disk, but load from external disk to ipad it is dead slow almost dead, unless some tricks I am not aware of. I must copy to local drive then upload to iPad. I run out of local drive disk space and when more photos keep adding for my wife and children, I definitely will run out of the 256 GB space. My current notebook cannot add more disk unless I change to a new bigger disk which I try not to do it. A lot of work to unload software and install again.

I am hoping that I can add new photo folders to ipad yet no need to have the uploaded photo folders stay on local drive. Seems it is not possible.

Can someone help me please.
:dunno:

Last edited:
Allow me to share with you what I normally do for photos in my iPads which might help for your wife's future photo management. I use the Apple accessory Camera Connection Kit for earlier iPads & the Lightning to SD Card Reader for my iPad Air. Especially when travelling, I simply plug in the adapter, put in the SD card, and select those photos I want to transfer. Transfer doesn't take long. The transferred photos will be automatically sized to fit the iPad screen and they're JPGs, not taking up much space. You can delete off the entire album from within the iPad when not needed to make space when bored with older photos. For minor editing, iPhoto within the iPad can do a decent job, especially for quick editing to upload to Facebook for family and friends when travelling away from home. The kit costs about S$40. So far, I've been doing this a few years on my 4 iPads without problems.

Thank you macVince. I bought the accessory for my daughter for her iPad mini. I never try it myself. I will borrow it from my daughter if she is willing to bring it back to let this poor daddy to try it out. I only know it can upload SD card fast, but no sure how it can create folder and upload it as what we want to organise it. Will try out. many thanks.

Thank you macVince. I bought the accessory for my daughter for her iPad mini. I never try it myself. I will borrow it from my daughter if she is willing to bring it back to let this poor daddy to try it out. I only know it can upload SD card fast, but no sure how it can create folder and upload it as what we want to organise it. Will try out. many thanks.

Usually, after I've uploaded the photos into the iPad, I'll create an Album in the iPad's Photos app and select those photos (by day or individually as I wish) for easy viewing later by album titles.

macVince, Good point that clears my question how to create folders. thank you very much.

Unfortunately my daughter reply me "No" coming to visit me with her newly married hubby. May be next week or I have to buy another SD upload device. Cheers. :vhappy: