Anything to look for when buying lens @ retail shop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maisatomai

Deregistered
Oct 26, 2006
I have searched the forum and cannot find anything on this.

I wanted to buy a 50mm f1.4 lens from MS color. Just wondering will they give me a good copy always or must I verify myself (actually I also don't know how to verify). Also, how much is a reasonable filter for this lens? Thanks in advance:)

See HERE for more info..

filter? depend on simi brand u go for...

I wanted to buy a 50mm f1.4 lens from MS color. Just wondering will they give me a good copy always or must I verify myself (actually I also don't know how to verify). Also, how much is a reasonable filter for this lens? Thanks in advance:)

Hi,

me bought 50mm f1.4 @TKfoto for $572. can try on the spot. happy customer.

to check, how thoroughly depends on person.

most thorough check involves viewing on laptop. how much to check, also depends on person.

basically, to check if you have sharp copy with no focusing problem, just set to af, shoot at:

wide open, all the way to f/8 or f/11. usually for 50mm f/1.4, something like f/1.4, f/2.8 (that is the aperture by which usually quite sharp), f5/6 (around the sharpest aperture), f/8, f/11. either use a tripod to make sure it is not user error, set lowest iso, shoot stationary object, that is clearly defined. something like text would be great.

you can then check the results on some form of screen. for me, cam lcd is good enough to see detail. do not expect absolute sharpness at f/1.4, but results should improve by leaps and bounds by f/2.8, and be best around f/5.6. beyond that, just check for fun while you're at it.

can use laptop if you really want lor..

For me, i do a quick check on the external and interior glass condition. Mount on camera and fire a feel shots.

The more thorough checking is done the next few days after bringing the lenses home, for focusing and checking on computer monitor.

The key thing is to make sure that the shop offers an exchange policy, so I need not rush and check in the shop itself.

See HERE for more info..

filter? depend on simi brand u go for...

Hi, jlkk76 what kind of filter would you recommend and how much will it cost roughly?

anyone know whether MS color has any exchange policy for bad copy lens?

Doesn't it run the same way in every shop? Test and check what you are buying properly. Most or all shops offer 7 days 1-to-1 exchange and the rest will be covered by your warranty.

Hi, jlkk76 what kind of filter would you recommend and how much will it cost roughly?

Read up and decide whether you need a filter. No point "monkey see, monkey do" screwing on some filter (and screwing your wallet as well) without knowing what it's good for and what are possible implications. I don't recommend any filter, because your lens has been designed to work best without any filter. For protection (mechanical as well as flare protection) have a look at lens hoods. The 50mm f/1.4 doesn't come with hood but you can get one. For Canon original hood you can check with Canon Lens line-up online, hood type is given there. MS should be able to order for you.

Hiya maisa,

MS color good shop. BUT regardless, always beware of the salespeople, regardless of the shop, becos it is a zero sum game:

U pay less = salesman earn less,
salesman earn more = u pay more.

Always do your homework before jumping in to buy- If u too lazy to do that, get ready to 100% pay higher than market rate, but it will not be too high off if u buy from these reputable specialty shops: can't say the same if u go to shops where there're lots of tourists like lucky plaza, etc.

For your lens, I normally ask for 2 copies, and I check:
- focussing speed, focussing error
- dust in lens
- scratches, cuts, signs of previous use.
and I'll take the better of the 2.

Normally, the workflow is like that: U do your homework for the lens/ body, so the salesman can't make mincemeat outta u, so u get good price, but u still get minced on the accessories as they have plenty of inhouse brands or other 3rd party brands u never hear off...

Luckily, u have your clubsnap bros: Again, do some research on which filters u want- zoom in to 2 brands so u know the price and the quality, dun do too many or u will blurr.

Here's a headstart:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263716

Hope it helps.

God bless.
Metta Life

Thanks all for your advice

Status
Not open for further replies.