Anything other than dry cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Autumnite

Oct 16, 2005
hi guys is there any other way to store ur lens other than a dry cabinet? cause i living in a rented room and not so convenient to purchase a dry cabinet to keep lens... so got other ways to do it?
thanks in advance

michhy

Oct 21, 2005
get a dry box. those that has silica gel, usually air-tight. sold in stores or bigger camera shops

Autumnite

Oct 16, 2005
oic thanks! arnd how much does one cost?

michhy

Oct 21, 2005
Autumnite said:
oic thanks! arnd how much does one cost?
It really depends on the size of the box.
Been 8 years since I bought one. Sorry man

exhibitj

Sep 25, 2005
Singapore NE
www.flickr.com
The NTUC at my place sells a dry box for $8.90. It can fit a dslr and a couple of mid size lens (not those ultr zoom lens).

Or you could try this:

Get small ziplock bags, roughy the size of a matchbox.
Fill it with silica gel beads and seal the small ziplock.
Poke holes in the ziplock bag. Call this the dessicant pack.

Place the small ziplock and your equipment (Camera/lens/etc) into a much larger ziplock bag and seal it. It should be a relatively dry environment for your equipment. Replace the dessicant pack weekly by making a new set of small ziplock and silica gel beads again.

Hope this helps!

ortega

Staff member
Nov 2, 2004
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
you can also use air tight plastic containers or biscuit tins.
place the selica gel in there to remove moisture

MyNikon

Apr 7, 2005
Bedok North
I got the iCase drybox with hygrometer and silica pack from Carrefour at Suntec for under $30 a few months back.
Just big enough for my D70S and three lenses.
A bottle of silica gel sells for less than $4 at the camera section, if I can recall correctly.
I'm saving for a dry cabinet now as heating up the silica gel every now and then is really a chore.
At least to me it is.

Autumnite

Oct 16, 2005
wow so much knowledge to maintain the lens :confused:
haha luckily i asked thanks guys for info!! Thanks alot!!
actually lets say i just got a new lens, then my kit lens can store without dry cabinet/box for how long b4 i need to go buy huh?
and the silica gel heat with what? and how frequently? if like say once a month i think shld be ok?

thanks again :)

catchlights

Staff member
Sep 27, 2004
Punggol, Singapore
www.foto-u.com
Don't take the risk, the cost of cleaning lens and camera can buy you a nice dry cabinet, it would take long for the lens to grow fungus in Singapore, especially you're not shooting everyday.

Dodo

Jul 24, 2005
I had a dry box when I was in my twentys, tried to control the humidity inside the box with silica gel but found that it was a total waste of time.
Dry my silica gel in the sun but the moment I bring them back into the house, everything turns pink immediately. Maybe you can get better quality silica gel now.

I can't afford a dry box back then, too expensive. After fungus appear in my lens, I brought them to a shop that claims to be able to service camera and lens to have my lens clean.
They charge me about a hundred dollars I think but I can still see fungus inside my lens. I was too young and naive to argue with the shop keeper about it.
Dump my SLR camera and lens a few years later.

I think a dry cabinet is a good investment for your equipment, in the long run it saves you the headache of seeing your equipment being ruin. Save up for a cabinet, forget about the dry box.

DT_

Nov 4, 2005
use hungry hippo....

fWord

Jun 23, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
DT_ said:
use hungry hippo....
Of course, a dry cabi is best. But if forced by circumstance, or a stupid mistake (as in my case), then a dry box and a Thirsty Hippo is a possible option. So far the Hippo has been very reliable in my dry box...drops humidity quickly and consistently to a stable level, but the humidity does seem a little low.

Based on the advice that other CSers have given me in the past, a humidity of 40-50% is best.

Still, others recommend using your equipment regularly. A little time in the sun during normal shooting and access to fresh air also slows/ prevents mould growth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom