anything in Switzerland

Status
Not open for further replies.

p4610yz

Oct 26, 2003
Sengkang
hey hey
i wan to check u guys....
in Switzerland...wat is there to shoot..n wat to look out for...
wonder if anyone hav been there b4....i will be going this June...

ya...wonder if any equipment there will b cheapper or wat....
ya...hope someone can enlighten me thanz...

Which part of Switzerland do you intend to go?? Any excursions to the mountains or just the cities??

If cityscape is not your cup of tea, then skip Zurich, Bern and Geneva. For shopping the best place would be in Lucerne, but don't expect anything cheap there. Chocolates would be your best bet. Lucerne is a nice historical city surrounded by lakes and mountains. Nearby is Mount Pilatus where you can ascend it by taking the "world steepest cogwheel train", or by cable car. The view from the top is quite nice.

If your intention to visit Switzerland is to see mountains, then I would suggest Interlaken. It is a town at the bottom of the valley, surrounded by mountains and 2 lakes. There you can make excursions to the nearby mountains by taking the train. One of the highlights should be "Top of Europe", Europe's highest railway station at the top of Jungfraujoch. ON a clear day, you are suppose to be able to see as far as Mont Blanc and Black Forest. But the trip could be quite costly if you don't go for tour packages. Other famous mountains there would be Grindlewald.

Mostly what you would find would be mountains and picturesque houses.

Don't think equipment will be cheaper. June should be a nice time to go.
Can't describe it well with words...you can check out some of the pictures taken here for an idea.

Switzerland simply has too many nice things to shoot, you need to worry how many films/CF cards you have. The lakeside park in Geneva, the trams in Zurich, the beautiful scenary in towns such as Lucerne, Interlaken, etc, and the mountain scene. It is very cold on top of the mountain, even in summer. And Swiss ppl are very pretty, most have friendly smiles, blonde hair, sharp face features, etc.
How long will you stay?

Ahhhh... Switzerland. You should be too busy shooting or enjoying yourself to even bother about buying equipment. Anyway, why would you want to buy equipment from there? Don't think it's cheaper... but don't waste time finding out prices - just shoot and enjoy the scenery and fresh mountain air.

P.S. Swiss Army Knifes are marginally cheaper there. But that was in 2001. Dunno with the exchange rate now whether it's still worth it. Free name engraving at most speciality army knife stores though...

P.P.S. I went mainly to Lucerne, so other parts of Switzerland definitely different. Mount Pilatus is excellent.

forget abt buying equipment there. even with the sales and GST rebates, it will still cost a bomb! the only stuff you shld consider buying are the swiss army knives (gawd.... the selections are mind boggling...), chocs and watches.

another good mountain region u shld visit is zermatt, which is down south. can take a straight train from zurich. zermatt is a small village that is car free! and, it's at the foothills of the famous "tolberone chocolate" hill - matterhorn. if u got the time, highly recommended that u take the cable car all the way up to matterhorn to visit the ice cave. the ice carvings will blow u away!

geneva is another beautiful city. just dat its horribily expensive to stay in! take a day tour of the city. can arrange with the tourism office which is near the central train station. geneva is divided into 2 halves - old and new. must visit places in geneva are the UN HQ area, where the red cross HQ and embassies are, and the lake geneva area with the world's tallest man-made fountain.

for me, the really nice swiss places are all the little towns that dotted the countryside. really, really picturesque! unfortunately, unless u follow a tour group, chances are u'll not see these towns unless u self-drive. oh yeah, they drive on the wrong side...

oh yes, bring a xdrive, or lots and lots of memory cards! there are so many things to take in switzerland. if u have to charge ur batteries, suggest u go to buy a travel adaptor. the wall sockets in swiss hotels are 2 round pins, and the socket in sunken into the wall - ie not like in singapore where out electrical points are flushed with the wall. the socket design is hexagonal (6 sided). try challenger at funan. they sell it.

one more thing, eating in restaurants are bloody expensive. u can get good eats at their local supermarkets, and cheap too. problem is that the shops all close at 5pm SHARP! yes, 5pm sharp close and not like in singapore where 5pm close means they start announcing they are closing. so, if u are out and about, do keep an eye on the clock!

hope dat helps? :bsmilie:

p4610yz said:
hey hey
i wan to check u guys....
in Switzerland...wat is there to shoot..n wat to look out for...
wonder if anyone hav been there b4....i will be going this June...

ya...wonder if any equipment there will b cheapper or wat....
ya...hope someone can enlighten me thanz...

Some photos for you to preview before your actual shooting http://www.webshots.com/search?query=Switzerland&new=1 :D

Sunday is their rest day.

Don't try to do shopping on Sunday.. especially in small town.

5pm close.. not true.. depend when u go.

Years back, go on Mid-May.. the shop open till 9pm+.... b'coz the sun has not knock off yet.

Things are very expensive.. don't think u can find anything cheap.... (don't think abt it).

mpenza said:
food is not cheap. at the eateries, fried rice can cost more than S$20!

Switzerland is the most expensive country in Eroupe.
Same like Japan... most expensive country in Asia.

I think fast food will be cheaper.

remember don't eat in Chinese restaurant... the price .. wow-lau.. u will remember for life.

1 set of McDonalds Meal @ switzerland cost around S$12, S$13 @ Austria.
Min Bus fare is S$2 ++.
That was 1998 price.

If u can't live w/o chilly.. bring it with u.

Overall, a very beautiful country and nice people.
Not all of them know English but they will try to help you.
They can bring dog to airport.. see 1 men bring 2 BIG BIG dog.. very big.. almost 1.5m tall with 4 legs on ground.
Think abt if they are 2 legs on ground.. wow-lau.. :sweat:

Their MRT train is just right below of the Zunrich Airport.

A lot of Rolex swatch shop... see until ur eye drop :bigeyes: u need to wear :cool: :bsmilie:

wow...thanz alot....

ya...i m looking forward to get a dslr...but of course...i dun hav the budget to buy or rent....
so i really hoping to see who is willing to lend me the system....

i m not going there for holiday but going there for a youth exchange programme with NYAA (national youth award assocation) ya...it is a national thingy..with 10 youth frm different schools r chosen...n man..i m the offical photographer....

ya...thanz for all the info....
i just found out tat fuba is frm swiss...is it true.>>??/ haah...

any kind soul willing to lend me thier dslr for the trip frm 31th May to 13 of June...
anyone..>!!

anyway all the best....

God bless...

therat said:
Switzerland is the most expensive country in Eroupe.
Same like Japan... most expensive country in Asia.

I think fast food will be cheaper.

remember don't eat in Chinese restaurant... the price .. wow-lau.. u will remember for life.

1 set of McDonalds Meal @ switzerland cost around S$12, S$13 @ Austria.
Min Bus fare is S$2 ++.
That was 1998 price.

If u can't live w/o chilly.. bring it with u.

Overall, a very beautiful country and nice people.
Not all of them know English but they will try to help you.
They can bring dog to airport.. see 1 men bring 2 BIG BIG dog.. very big.. almost 1.5m tall with 4 legs on ground.
Think abt if they are 2 legs on ground.. wow-lau.. :sweat:

Their MRT train is just right below of the Zunrich Airport.

A lot of Rolex swatch shop... see until ur eye drop :bigeyes: u need to wear :cool: :bsmilie:

hehe you think Switzerland is expensive? Wait till you go to Norway or UK. At the current rate of exchange, a McDonalds happy meal is about $14-15. And Norway is even more expensive, if its possible.

justarius said:
hehe you think Switzerland is expensive? Wait till you go to Norway or UK. At the current rate of exchange, a McDonalds happy meal is about $14-15. And Norway is even more expensive, if its possible.

Yep, I think in a recent survey, London was voted the most expensive city to live in. And don't even think about buying any electronic stuff in Europe, it would be much better to buy whatever camera, lenses, film, memory cards or batteries in Singapore before you leave for Switzerland. Eating and shopping in Europe is just so expensive.

p.s. Mcdonalds is one of the cheapest food you can find in Switzerland, be prepared to eat it regularly if you are on a tight budget :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

ya...i m looking forward to get a dslr...but of course...i dun hav the budget to buy or rent....
so i really hoping to see who is willing to lend me the system....

i m not going there for holiday but going there for a youth exchange programme with NYAA (national youth award assocation) ya...it is a national thingy..with 10 youth frm different schools r chosen...n man..i m the offical photographer....

ya...thanz for all the info....
i just found out tat fuba is frm swiss...is it true.>>??/ haah...

any kind soul willing to lend me thier dslr for the trip frm 31th May to 13 of June...
anyone..>!!

Status
Not open for further replies.