Anyone's been to Hat Yai/Cameroon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vincentt_whale

Mar 27, 2004
Singapore - Indonesia
I'll be going to those places for the new year. Anyone's been there and could give me some tips or what to shoot there? :)
Well, comments are greatly appreciated.. ;)

yes both

Cameron Highlands
funny episode
tour guide at Cameron Highlands giving tour to group
saying to Sing children
"children, this is a ....cow" :bsmilie:
as though Sing children were so urbanised they never saw a real live cow before.

the strawberries they offer with cream
and claim the cream is fresh from the farm
do not think so, it tastes like Nestle's canned cream

alamak! too much uncontrolled development
all the trees and hilltops greenery removed,
too much soil erosion.
landslides
not cold anymore

Hatyai
small town all the action in 20 streets, nice fun, great food, good shopping.
formerly 10 or 20 years ago seedy reputation (fun)
5 years ago became ... Sing ah-so and auntie family shopping venue.
Likely to bump into your mother-in-law or someone who knows you..so better not have fun there anymore.

now...dunno...
- lookout for bombs. terrorists warned already.

U should know that now there is very bad flooding in Hat Yai, and for Cameron Highlands some roads to the mountains are blocked.

yes both

Cameron Highlands
funny episode
tour guide at Cameron Highlands giving tour to group
saying to Sing children
"children, this is a ....cow"
as though Sing children were so urbanised they never saw a real live cow before.

the strawberries they offer with cream
and claim the cream is fresh from the farm
do not think so, it tastes like Nestle's canned cream

alamak! too much uncontrolled development
all the trees and hilltops greenery removed,
too much soil erosion.
landslides
not cold anymore

Hatyai
small town all the action in 20 streets, nice fun, great food, good shopping.
formerly 10 or 20 years ago seedy reputation (fun)
5 years ago became ... Sing ah-so and auntie family shopping venue.
Likely to bump into your mother-in-law or someone who knows you..so better not have fun there anymore.

now...dunno...
- lookout for bombs. terrorists warned already.

Wah liew :faint:
U work for Singapore Travel Bureau har :sweat:

Something to share from me:
1.Hatyai - Been there more than 10 times for business trip and good value for money place. The shops and night street market has lots of things to offer, I found people in Hatyai are more honest than in Bangkok. I've been visiting Songkla, Pattani, Pathallung, Padang Besar, some other town around South of Thailand. One precuations is some of these towns are unstable due to clash between muslim and budhist, if you want to branch out from Hatyai you need a local guide. Good night life - cheap beer and foods. I get used to walk around the city on foot when I am there. Too bad now the city is closed due to flood.....if not I am looking foward for another business to this nice place.

2. Cameron Highland Malaysia - Nice Cool Place but not cheap since so many tourists there. I drove all the way from Singapore (Abt 5-6 hrs non-stop) and lots of winding road which was a fun to me the driver. Lot of photography opportunity, such as night market with flowers and fruits not to mention the scenary in the morning or afternoon before dawn. Visit Rose Garden and walk all the way to the top, you will appreciate the view while you are panting after climbing the stairs. Visit Strawberry farm near the Equatorial hotel (where I stay when I was there), pick your own strawberry and try their organic strawberry jam...very tasty. For dinner you can eat steam boat in the town. I visited lots of places when I was there with my own car. If you are on a group tour it may not as flexible as renting or driving your own car. I definetely looking foward to drive back to Cameron Highland and stay at Strawberry Park hotel.

Have you consider to visit Fraiser Hill? It similar to Cameron highland but at smaller scale and very serene since not so many tourist there.

Status
Not open for further replies.