Anyone willing to ditch their entire DSLR system for the Fuji X100?

hotchoco1ate

Jan 27, 2010
And when i say ditch, dont confuse it with complement. Its easy to see how pro photogs will get it, but those with a conscious budget (like myself) may have to think twice before plunging into it. So what do you guys think?

I did seriously thought of it before. But the lack of a top LCD for checking settings quickly is a deal breaker for me. (i dont mean i expect it to have a top LCD, because it will just destroy the RF look. Just that when i compare my d90 with it, it is one gripe for me). I can still accept the lack of changeable lenses though.

The lack of hard physical buttons for quick changing of settings is also kinda a downside, as settings have to be changed in menu (READ: slower).

And when i say ditch, dont confuse it with complement. Its easy to see how pro photogs will get it, but those with a conscious budget (like myself) may have to think twice before plunging into it. So what do you guys think?

I did seriously thought of it before. But the lack of a top LCD for checking settings quickly is a deal breaker for me. (i dont mean i expect it to have a top LCD, because it will just destroy the RF look. Just that when i compare my d90 with it, it is one gripe for me). I can still accept the lack of changeable lenses though.

The lack of hard physical buttons for quick changing of settings is also kinda a downside, as settings have to be changed in menu (READ: slower).

Never. Even though I have been liking what I see in the X100... but ditch DSLR for this? Never!!

I think DSLR offers me more option and variety in shooting. The X100 sure is a cool and nice camera, i think it will be very good for street photography. Wouldnt ditch mine, even though mine is a low end model.

Never come across my mind. While it is good, it still cannot compare to DSLR in most aspects...

i must have gone mad that day

why not? simplicity is best. :)

Seems like only Bro Zaren has an open mind :)

Seems like only Bro Zaren has an open mind :)

Actually, most people here call her auntie zaren :)

For me, I wouldn't ditch an entire DSLR system, as it only covers a 35mm focal length. And it is rather expensive.

Last edited:
Me neither. It's a handsome camera but the slow responsiveness of the camera is keeping me from landing my hands on one. Maybe x200 or when canon releases a digital canonet that can change lens lol

Last edited:
Opps my bad. Lady Zaren ba. You dont call the males here uncle right? ie Uncle Anson.

Haven had my chance to molest the x100 so no conclusion from me yet.

Opps my bad. Lady Zaren ba. You dont call the males here uncle right? ie Uncle Anson.

Still, a X100 can only shoot at 35mm. It is definitely a decent focal length that can be used for many genres of photography, but I feel it is not versatile enough to replace DSLRs. It is a niche product, and I see it very useful for street photography amongst other genres of photography due to its size, except that it is too expensive and I would rather build up my "main system" first since I don't shoot streets much. Until then, if I still have lots of spare cash, I might get one to play.

If I want to shoot like that and look cool. I've got a couple of oldie film cameras. :) :cool:

Though i'm still very much of a beginner, i like birds. Hence no.
Maybe when i get too old to carry my dslr around. ;)

i am... but my equipment is low end and old. can't even pay 1/3 of the camera price T_T
don't have much time to shoot now after started working and i wish to go light-weight! haha.

You should. I tried during IT Show @ Fujifim booth.

Small & light i'll get E-PL1 for style or any PnS with f2 lens. :)

x100 is richman toy :bsmilie:

Then how about Leica?

It can actually cost less in the long run since you can't buy new lens, nothing to tempt you.

x100 is richman toy :bsmilie:

Then how about Leica?

It can actually cost less in the long run since you can't buy new lens, nothing to tempt you.