Anyone who has been to Egypt to share photography experiences?

makamaka

Aug 3, 2012
Singapore
Hi, iam travelling to Egypt in Dec and would like any brothers or sisters who have been to that exotic place to share his or her experiences in what to look out for.

Rgds,
Marcus

I went to Egypt early 2009 for my honeymoon. It's a different place and has lots to offer but you will enjoy it more – if you have a guide to show you around and explain things.

The places most memorable for me were the pyramids of Giza (they look smaller in real life, the sphinx too), Luxor (which you will see during the Nile cruise) and Mount Sinai.

At Giza, when you take the camel rides, some of the handlers will try to get more money from you before letting you down. Try to get the attention of your guide if you encounter this.

Luxor is impressive because of the massive temples...but they look the same after a while :)

Mount Sinai is a 5 to 6 hour (I think) overnight trek up to see the sunrise. Really worth the effort...along the way, there will be people offering you a camel ride up and discouraging you, saying how difficult it is.

General things to look out for:

1. Tipping is a must. A lot of them depend on tips to surivive.
2. Be careful when negotiating prices. They will say 1 Pound (you might think it's Egyptian Pounds) then when you show interest, they will say it's actually 1 British Pound.
3. When paying, especially for cabs, try to give exact change. Once, we gave a 50 EP for a 35 EP ride, the driver swopped the note and said we gave him a 5 EP. We stood our ground and he gave us our change back.

If you have a chance, try to go to Petra, Jordon. Kinda regretted not doing so and I think you need a separate visa.

Hope this helps.

Patrick

Thanks For telling us wonderful experiences of Photography. Wedding photography is different than most types of photography because there are no retakes.”, It’s really to hard to take photographs in one take there is no retake.Find this website

Don't take photo of pple on the streets. They will ask for money. 5 EP is the rate.

The guides are very professional in that they will be very detail in reciting the history. They may be offended if you don't listen.

In Luxor, there are 2 souks. One for tourists and the other for locals. Don't visit the souk meant for locals. It is not safe.

If you see a lot of woman dressed in black in an alley, there may is a funeral. Stay away.

Most people on the streets may not understand English and english names of places. Know the arabic names instead.

Don't offer to shake a ladies hand unless she offers it first.

Take the sleeping train from Cairo to Luxor to save time. I managed to sleep on train. Get 1st class.

Take the cruise on river nile and must visit abu simbal.

Mt Sinai is quite far and only advisable if you intend to cross into Jordan via Mediterranean Sea or you are religious. Otherwise it is 6 hrs of drive.

If really crossing into Jordan by sea, check the fast ferry (Princess Nafretiti?...) and sea condition in advanced. They don't sail everyday and cancel if sea is rough.

If going Jordan, don't skip wadi rum. Spend one night there in the bedoiun tents, take a camel ride, see sun rise and sun set, eat the feast they prepare. When visiting Petra, don't miss Petra by night. Check schedule. Not every night open.

In Egypt, the tourist place will charge tourist prices for drinking water. Suggest to bring your own drinking water purchased from hotel or shops near hotel. Don't ask guide to buy for you, they will f your guide.

Same rule to children beggars, don't give. You will be swamped with lots of them. Don't even know where they appear from.

IMO, the luxor temple and abu simbal are the most awesome.

Bring a UWA lens and CPL filter.

Lastly, read up briefly on history of Egypt else everything will look like greek or roman to you.

Last edited:
Egypt is really a nice place , Abu Simbel is awesome... UWA is a must .
A word of caution , don't pass your cameras to locals when they offer to help you take pixs ,
some of them will not return your camera to you until they get the amount of "tips" they asking
for!

Don't take photo of pple on the streets. They will ask for money. 5 EP is the rate.

The guides are very professional in that they will be very detail in reciting the history. They may be offended if you don't listen.

In Luxor, there are 2 souks. One for tourists and the other for locals. Don't visit the souk meant for locals. It is not safe.

If you see a lot of woman dressed in black in an alley, there may is a funeral. Stay away.

Most people on the streets may not understand English and english names of places. Know the arabic names instead.

Don't offer to shake a ladies hand unless she offers it first.

Take the sleeping train from Cairo to Luxor to save time. I managed to sleep on train. Get 1st class.

Take the cruise on river nile and must visit abu simbal.

Mt Sinai is quite far and only advisable if you intend to cross into Jordan via Mediterranean Sea or you are religious. Otherwise it is 6 hrs of drive.

If really crossing into Jordan by sea, check the fast ferry (Princess Nafretiti?...) and sea condition in advanced. They don't sail everyday and cancel if sea is rough.

If going Jordan, don't skip wadi rum. Spend one night there in the bedoiun tents, take a camel ride, see sun rise and sun set, eat the feast they prepare. When visiting Petra, don't miss Petra by night. Check schedule. Not every night open.

In Egypt, the tourist place will charge tourist prices for drinking water. Suggest to bring your own drinking water purchased from hotel or shops near hotel. Don't ask guide to buy for you, they will f your guide.

Same rule to children beggars, don't give. You will be swamped with lots of them. Don't even know where they appear from.

IMO, the luxor temple and abu simbal are the most awesome.

Bring a UWA lens and CPL filter.

Lastly, read up briefly on history of Egypt else everything will look like greek or roman to you.

all brilliant advice here.

I also planned to go there next year, ard July. This year spend on new desktop n pns camera. Will start to book ard April. :D

My friend told me to go earlier as Aug 8 is haji n so, during July, might not a good time to be there.

Last edited:
I also planned to go there next year, ard July. This year spend on new desktop n pns camera. Will start to book ard April. :D

My friend told me to go earlier as Aug 8 is haji n so, during July, might not a good time to be there.

If have to go during that period, take note of Ramadan and the weather. The fasting month, usually around August or September. No food and drinks before sunset during that period. The temperature in July may be hot and dry. Hot, not warm.

Hi all,

Thanks for sharing all the valuable experiences here.

I will be going in mid dec. Hopefully it will not be too hot.

I heard that the water there is unsafe for drinking. Even with boiled water, it is not very safe. Is it true? It would be cumbersome if i were to bring cartons of water to the airport and over there. to counter this, i have actually bought water sterilization tabs over.

Any jabs need to be taken?

I will be bringing a 17-40mm lens as well as a 75 - 300mm len. It should be sufficient i guess.

I like taking pictures of the children. However with what some of the brothers have said on the children there, i need to think carefully before taking any shots of them.

I will be going to Cairo, Sakkara to see the Step Pyramids of Zoser 1 and El-Baharia Oasis, Alexandria, Hurghada, Luxor, Edfu, Kom Ombo, Aswan. will not be going Mt Sinai and Jodan thou.

Bottled water is easily avaliable.. Dont need to worry.

don't be overly paranoid, bottled water is available everywhere, avoid buying from touristy areas.
There will always be native within the tour areas, do not take photo of them without asking, they will want a few US $ for it.
Photography kids are ok but not the woman folks.

There will be alot of touting at tour places, children asking for money, pick pockets. The usual do's and dont's applies.
The place is kind of dusty, so just wear a pair of comfortable walking shoes that you can clean the dust after the trip.

Nov-Jan will be the best time to go, air is cold.. but do bring your sunblock, the UV there is very strong. You will feel the chill under a shade or even a tree, step out under the sun, u will feel the heat :). Drink plenty of water and always remember to bargain. Lovely place, if you get a chance, take a ride on the hot air balloon near to the Valley of the Kings, Abu Simbal is a must visit place.

IMG_8297+Panorama_1.jpg

IMG_9222+Panorama_1.jpg

don't be overly paranoid, bottled water is available everywhere, avoid buying from touristy areas.
There will always be native within the tour areas, do not take photo of them without asking, they will want a few US $ for it.
Photography kids are ok but not the woman folks.

There will be alot of touting at tour places, children asking for money, pick pockets. The usual do's and dont's applies.
The place is kind of dusty, so just wear a pair of comfortable walking shoes that you can clean the dust after the trip.

Nov-Jan will be the best time to go, air is cold.. but do bring your sunblock, the UV there is very strong. You will feel the chill under a shade or even a tree, step out under the sun, u will feel the heat :). Drink plenty of water and always remember to bargain. Lovely place, if you get a chance, take a ride on the hot air balloon near to the Valley of the Kings, Abu Simbal is a must visit place.

IMG_8297+Panorama_1.jpg

IMG_9222+Panorama_1.jpg

Hi Simon,

Thanks for sharing. Your pictures looks very nice. Which lenses do u bring over there? I know that a wide angle len is a must. Other than that, iam still wondering which lenses to bring along.

Hi all,

Thanks for sharing all the valuable experiences here.

I will be going in mid dec. Hopefully it will not be too hot.

I heard that the water there is unsafe for drinking. Even with boiled water, it is not very safe. Is it true? It would be cumbersome if i were to bring cartons of water to the airport and over there. to counter this, i have actually bought water sterilization tabs over.

Any jabs need to be taken?

I will be bringing a 17-40mm lens as well as a 75 - 300mm len. It should be sufficient i guess.

I like taking pictures of the children. However with what some of the brothers have said on the children there, i need to think carefully before taking any shots of them.

I will be going to Cairo, Sakkara to see the Step Pyramids of Zoser 1 and El-Baharia Oasis, Alexandria, Hurghada, Luxor, Edfu, Kom Ombo, Aswan. will not be going Mt Sinai and Jodan thou.

Was there last year around Nov. 2011.
Weather u can check here : - Current local time in Egypt – Cairo
Dec should be sunny but chilly in the morning and cold at night.
Jacket is a must when going out at night.
The places u mentioned seems like u are going on a package tour. There will be lots of picture opportunity.
No worries than as there will be a SG guide and the local guide who will explain to you their culture.
Bottle drinking water can be in shops or mini mart. Tourist shop will expensive as they will kutok us. Your tour bus driver may also be selling bottled water.
Be prepared to be pester by touts everywhere at tourist areas and be asked for tips for nearly everything. Normally the local guide will take care of it but they will still ask and ask till u are fed up.
When u ask for prices at bazzars, be prepared to be pestered as they assume u are keen to buy.

U only need to change EGP pound at their airport, your guide will give u time when u land at the airport. U can also use US dollar there. Use small US notes to buy water, etc, etc.

U need to ask for permission to take pictures of local women and kids. They may ask u for tips also.
Nice sunsets if u are taking the Nile cruise.
Enjoy the culture and scenery while there.
Enjoy your trip. Do not need vaccination.

Last edited:
With the unrest, think you can forget about your trip.

Hi Simon,

Manage to go to Egypt during mid dec. Had to say had a unique and unforgettable experience there. Btw, Can show me your wonderful picture of Abu Simbel again?

Thanks.