Anyone went to Kota Kinabaru before?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LightNPixels

Nov 27, 2003
Sengkang Town
Planning to go there soon. Do you think I should bring my DSLR and big & heavy Zoom lens?

The name is Kota Kinabalu

Where do you plan to go ? Free and easy ?

Unless you're hanging around the city areas, best to bring compact around, then you get to enjoy the sights without worrying about the safety of your DSLR. A big zoom lens is definitely not needed ... a regular zoom should be good enough, eg. if you want to go to the National Park and take pics of Mt Kinabalu.

Depends where you are going to. If you plan to climb Mount Kinabalu, don't take so much stuff. If you are planning to stay on ground zero, then more stuff is better. I went up to the summit of Mount Kinabalu before and if you are prone to altitude sickness, you will get it! And take only what's neccesary, possibly a wide angle and a telephoto zoom will do. Don't expect to bring a birding lens to the top because there ain't no birds that fly that high... except the metal ones! :bsmilie:

DSLR is for sure. Whether or not bring *heavy* lenses is dependent on where u go. I have some pictures about my trip to KK, under the travel sub-gallery on my site.

Don't forget to visit Gunung Mas. Not many people know it. The Rafflesia can be found there. There are treetop chalets too. The sunset is beautiful. Sorry no pic! The old steam train ride is fantastic too. If you like water sport, try water rafting. Hope you have good time.

nickmak said:
Depends where you are going to. If you plan to climb Mount Kinabalu, don't take so much stuff. If you are planning to stay on ground zero, then more stuff is better. I went up to the summit of Mount Kinabalu before and if you are prone to altitude sickness, you will get it! And take only what's neccesary, possibly a wide angle and a telephoto zoom will do. Don't expect to bring a birding lens to the top because there ain't no birds that fly that high... except the metal ones! :bsmilie:

I thinking of bring the following....

1. Crumpler back pack so I can slot my tripot at the side.
2. CF tripot
3. D70
4. Kit lens
5. 70-200 VR
6. Flash
7. CompactDrive
8. 1Litre H20
9. Fuji F810
10 Winter Jacket and a few clothes

Quite heavy, do you Guys with experience find it too heavy for normal guy??

tomshen said:
DSLR is for sure. Whether or not bring *heavy* lenses is dependent on where u go. I have some pictures about my trip to KK, under the travel sub-gallery on my site.

Thanks, nice photo. Those photo are what I'm looking for.

LightNPixels said:

2. CF tripot
3. D70
4. Kit lens
5. 70-200 VR
6. Flash
7. CompactDrive
8. 1Litre H20
9. Fuji F810

fitness level differs for everyone.. however, if u still want to carry those things up and finds it too heavy for your fitness level... can always ask your guide to carry for u and pay him (RM7/kg)

wilis128 said:
fitness level differs for everyone.. however, if u still want to carry those things up and finds it too heavy for your fitness level... can always ask your guide to carry for u and pay him (RM7/kg)

risky ler....

LightNPixels said:

2. CF tripot
3. D70
4. Kit lens
5. 70-200 VR
6. Flash
7. CompactDrive
8. 1Litre H20
9. Fuji F810

Personally, i think it shd not be a problem......make sure u jacket is thick enough to agaist the cold.

But do beware of pick pockets. Anywhere around the world is not safe cos of them, especially in city area. But once you get out from the city and go to places like Mt. Kinabalu, everything is fine! trust me! Im from Kota Kinabalu. Message me if u need any tips.

LightNPixels said:

2. CF tripot
3. D70
4. Kit lens
5. 70-200 VR
6. Flash
7. CompactDrive
8. 1Litre H20
9. Fuji F810

Hi, I've been there before. If you REALLY plan to lug all that, then you should start training. At times the route can be very steep and some older wooden railings are quite worn out too. The weight will start to double very fast. The VR lens will definitely add weight.

Near the summit is the Laban Rata resthouse. The beds are shared so be careful of your equipment. The final stretch up the top to catch sunrise will reach quite low temperatures.... if memory serves me right its below zero. Cold enough for ice crystals to form.

There are wild life and plant life along the way. So do watch out for it. 200mm maybe a little short to reach. I think if you are bringing a dslr along, then couple with a compact wide telezoom which is lighter might be a better choice. You'd probably wanna capture the nice, vast scenery and panoramic view from the top. Look out fro tasty raspberries and other edible berries along the trail. You'd have to decide if you want the risk eating it. haha!

Oh yeah... 1L H20 is quite little... too. ;)
Hope this helps.

xav said:
But do beware of pick pockets. Anywhere around the world is not safe cos of them, especially in city area. But once you get out from the city and go to places like Mt. Kinabalu, everything is fine! trust me! Im from Kota Kinabalu. Message me if u need any tips.
xav, are you referring to the 'phillipine market and the pasar malam?

Other than these places, the shopping centres seem quite safe leh. Just be extra careful, the kiasu way, will do. :blah:
Avoid Pulau Manukan (crowded). Pulau Sapi is great for snorkelling.

Thanks for all those good pointer.

Btw, do you think I should throw away my tripot? I was thinking how am I going to switch lens while on top with glove on too. So dun think I could set tripot too right? :think:

LightNPixels said:

Btw, do you think I should throw away my tripot? I was thinking how am I going to switch lens while on top with glove on too. So dun think I could set tripot too right? :think:

You probably can only set up the tripod at the resthouse. The rest are slopy terrain.

The reason I recommended a compact wide telezoom is that you won't need to change lens so often and its light. Its versatility outweighs the fastness of the 70-200. However, there are sheltered rest points along the route which you can sit down and change the lens though, if you really need to.

Oh yes, a walking stick is pretty useful too. You can pick one up at the entrance or pick any suitable stick along the route. Quite helpful to spread the load and balance. And wear good hiking shoes with good grip too.
:D

LightNPixels said:

If you reach the top before sun rise, I don't think you can even set the tripod, there is simply no place. :(

If you are not confident of your fitness level, better don't carry too much stuff. It is worse if you are delayed by the heavy baggage and missed the sunrise and a spot on the highest point of the summit than making sure you take a good picture. You have to balance yourself very well at the highest spot because there is not much space for everybody at the summit and once people are up there, they won't want to leave so quickly as everybody is tired and just want to rest there till the sunrise appears. The route is not too difficult but speed is crucial.

Status
Not open for further replies.