Anyone wants to work in Botswana, Africa?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaycelim

Jul 15, 2006
Guillemard
Recently, the head of sg went to few African countries to promote bilateral ties and source new business opportunities for sg. One of the country is Botswana. Information of the country can be found on the link below

https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/print/bc.html

The only tourist attraction is the Okavango delta area which is about 1000km from its captital city, Garborone.

If given the opportunity would you want to station there or start a business there?

Jaycelim - the Okavanga Delta is an amazing place. I was there 10 years ago on a conservation expedition. At the time I would love to die there! It has a very rich and diverse fauna, flora and animal population. Right next to it is the Khalahari desert. This is rich in rock art painting that date from 100s to thousands of years.

For any naturist photographers this is a paradise.

For business opportunities - look at weather predictions and what might happen in the area. Keep your mind open. Our climate is changing drastically now. Areas of the world will be different in a number of years (scientist can't put a date down). Perhaps it is to learn from the tribes that still exist about how to maintain mother earth and still survive - and then bring that back into today's culture - who knows.

If you're into business and then take advantage of your knowledge of climate change. That is what businesses are being forced to do and carbon credit companies are now in existence.

Jaycelim - the Okavanga Delta is an amazing place. I was there 10 years ago on a conservation expedition. At the time I would love to die there! It has a very rich and diverse fauna, flora and animal population. Right next to it is the Khalahari desert. This is rich in rock art painting that date from 100s to thousands of years.

For any naturist photographers this is a paradise.

For business opportunities - look at weather predictions and what might happen in the area. Keep your mind open. Our climate is changing drastically now. Areas of the world will be different in a number of years (scientist can't put a date down). Perhaps it is to learn from the tribes that still exist about how to maintain mother earth and still survive - and then bring that back into today's culture - who knows.

If you're into business and then take advantage of your knowledge of climate change. That is what businesses are being forced to do and carbon credit companies are now in existence.

I've heard a lot of the Okavango Delta, but the trip there is not cheap. Did you stay in the safari? I've seen picture of the delta, alot of greenery and animals. But seems like I like moutains more. Any pictures on the delta to share?

My company have setup a branch there and I've been there 3 times. All doing e-gov projects. I've venture around the neibouring towns around Gaborone. Khalahari desert was about 1000km from Gaborone and the area was quite deserted. Gave up the idea of going to the desert and eventually drove 1500km to Cape Town.

The global warming does affect the climate there. Central and Southern Botswana has been in drought for 4 years up till 2005. The dam level fell to drastic low of 25%. But in beginning 2006, they experience so many rain fall, that most area were filled with water.

I'll probably not pay and go there for a holiday. so why not? it's not like i'm going to be there PERMANENTLY.. short trip.. why not? :D

Hmmm can go there shoot lions, leopards, cheetahs, elephants, zebras, giraffes, wildebeests... :think:

and got perfect unpolluted view of the night skies

I'll probably not pay and go there for a holiday. so why not? it's not like i'm going to be there PERMANENTLY.. short trip.. why not? :D

I guess this is the main reason why some people don't want to go. Extracted from the CIA world fact book:

HIV/AIDS - adult prevalence rate: 37.3% (2003 est.)
Major infectious diseases: degree of risk: high
food or waterborne diseases: bacterial diarrhea, hepatitis A, and typhoid fever
vectorborne disease: malaria (2007)

unless you're going there to hanky panky.. i don't see AIDs/HIV as a big problem..
malaria.. there's anti-malaris pills to take.
other dieases might have vaccines for them like typhoid and hep. diarhoea got carbon pills. :bsmilie:

Hmmm can go there shoot lions, leopards, cheetahs, elephants, zebras, giraffes, wildebeests... :think:

Wonderful!! Need pics of leopard to complete my Big 5.. heheh ;)

Wow sounds exotic... i really like to go out and see the world if there was such a chance to station over there for 6 mths i would fly there ASAP!

Wow sounds exotic... i really like to go out and see the world if there was such a chance to station over there for 6 mths i would fly there ASAP!

Come come join my company, we are looking for people to station there to train the local. I had my fair chance so going to give this chance to someone else. :D

It's like Singapore in the 60s. Only 2 big shopping mall in the captial. Have safari, but nothing as compare to those in South Africa.

Can travel to South Africa as often as you like. Only 1.5hours drive to SA borders.

Come come join my company, we are looking for people to station there to train the local. I had my fair chance so going to give this chance to someone else. :D

It's like Singapore in the 60s. Only 2 big shopping mall in the captial. Have safari, but nothing as compare to those in South Africa.

Can travel to South Africa as often as you like. Only 1.5hours drive to SA borders.

Which co are u in? Recruiting engineers or not???
Seriously, my co. doing retrenchment exercise and I could even fly over from the US... save ur co. some airfare.

Which co are u in? Recruiting engineers or not???
Seriously, my co. doing retrenchment exercise and I could even fly over from the US... save ur co. some airfare.

It's a GLC. We looking for Java developers and system engineers. But the office culture here is the typical singapore style. Kiasu and Kiasi.

You not looking for another US company and stay in US?

It's a GLC. We looking for Java developers and system engineers. But the office culture here is the typical singapore style. Kiasu and Kiasi.

You not looking for another US company and stay in US?

No choice leh... I'm only authorized to work for my co in the US... still haven't got green card after these years. Difficult to get work without green card or valid working visa.

Only if US issues green card (PRship) like SG.

Anyway, I think i dun fit ur co's bill, ain't a IT guy..

Status
Not open for further replies.