Anyone using Vitacon WA + macro lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

quelle

May 3, 2009
Singapore - Tampines
Has anyone used Vitacon wide angle + macro lens before? Any reviews whether is it good?

Last edited:
No one's using it because it's not good.

Basically, it's a low quality filter attachment that allows you a wider angle of view, and when you remove the front element, usually by a screw-thread, the remaining element can be used as a close-up filter. But the quality of these things isn't even worth it even if it's given to you for free.

I'd say, save up for a proper wide-angle lens if you're interested in wider angles; save up and get the Raynox DCR-250 if you're interested in macro but do not yet want to invest in a proper macro lens. But do read up on suitable lenses first.

Oh, I hope you haven't already bought the Vitacon one and you're just asking around before spending your money...

yea, like what Karnage said, it sucks :sticktong

I mean....it does allow you to get barely decent close-ups...but you might as well pay a little more and get a Raynox which is waaay better, no?

Wow thanks! I was recommended this by one of the salesperson today but thought I should check more about this before buying it.

Wow thanks! I was recommended this by one of the salesperson today but thought I should check more about this before buying it.

Lucky for you... else you'd be another one of the statistics who got conned...

yea, like what Karnage said, it sucks :sticktong

I mean....it does allow you to get barely decent close-ups...but you might as well pay a little more and get a Raynox which is waaay better, no?

better get a dedicated macro lens if you wanna do macro, else later you'll find the Raynox not enough too and waste the money as well....

All you need to do is search "vitacon" here on CS and you'll realize it's aptly named...

VITACON
VITA = life
CON = You just got conned

better get a dedicated macro lens if you wanna do macro, else later you'll find the Raynox not enough too and waste the money as well....

I've never tried macro photography before and not sure if my passion of this would last so thought of buying something not so expensive to play with first and if it's all well, I'd probably invest in a really good one in the future.

How about Canon close up filter? Do you think it would be a better option to buy that instead of the vitacon lens? They costs around the same.

I've never tried macro photography before and not sure if my passion of this would last so thought of buying something not so expensive to play with first and if it's all well, I'd probably invest in a really good one in the future.

How about Canon close up filter? Do you think it would be a better option to buy that instead of the vitacon lens? They costs around the same.

in that case, I'd rather you spend a lil money to rent a macro and try it out or borrow one from a fren and see if it's something you'd like.

Salesperson will recommend each and everything as long as you pay. The higher their earnings the louder their praises. Good that you resisted and do some checks. Vitacon is a mediocre OEM brand, similar to Großartig and other fancy brands.

In that case, I'd say get a Raynox first, over the Canon close-up filter or a dedicated macro lens, for several reasons:

1. Ok, I don't know how much a Canon close-up filter (500D?) costs but the Raynox is about $130.

2. The Raynox allows you to use it on various lenses with different diameters - 52mm up to 62mm. The downside is that not all lenses with diameters within this range is suitable.

3. The Raynox is a "clip-on" as compared to the Canon one (or Nikon or Hoya or whichever, for that matter) and I personally felt it's faster and more convenient to use. I used to have 2 Nikon 6Ts screwed together, then screwed only my telephoto zoom, but sometimes you see like a bird somewhere near and you wanna shoot, but by the time you unscrew the filter, the bird fly away already. With the Raynox, you just unclip and you're at telephoto again.

4. The Raynox is cheap enough such that even if you decide that you're not that interested in macro, you can sell it at minimal loss, or you can continue to keep it for that occasional urge to shoot macros.

The canon filter will not be cheap.. it's like $200++ for the 500D.

If the price is similar, then it really sounds like a vita-Con job..

Status
Not open for further replies.