Anyone using the Gitzo Explorer tripod?


Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry

Senior Member
Apr 25, 2002
5,499
0
0
47
singapore
www.larryloh.com
hi, just seeking some comments/feedback on the Gitzo Explorer tripod (any version)? looks like a pretty good tripod, flexible and sturdy looking. anyone got one and can share his/her opinion?

Info about the Explorer from the Gitzo website

also, anyone know how much this tripod is being sold for at the stores? any inputs at all is mucho appreciated. :D
 

Simon

ClubSNAP Admin
Staff member
Jan 17, 2002
667,089
2
38
30
ClubSNAP
simon.clubsnap.org
Originally posted by dragos
me...:)

errr..... can't help it, but what's the purpose of this post... to tell people that you owned the tripod ? ;p

If you do, share your opinion.
 

Larry

Senior Member
Apr 25, 2002
5,499
0
0
47
singapore
www.larryloh.com
Originally posted by Simon
errr..... can't help it, but what's the purpose of this post... to tell people that you owned the tripod ? ;p

If you do, share your opinion.
it's ok Simon, dragos is a fren. think he's just teasing me... i hope. :D
 

zhoufang

New Member
Jan 19, 2002
230
0
0
37
Jurong
Visit site
Originally posted by firefox13
hi, just seeking some comments/feedback on the Gitzo Explorer tripod (any version)? looks like a pretty good tripod, flexible and sturdy looking. anyone got one and can share his/her opinion?

Info about the Explorer from the Gitzo website

also, anyone know how much this tripod is being sold for at the stores? any inputs at all is mucho appreciated. :D
I own a G2228.
Being 0.5KG heavier than G1227/1228 at 2.0KG at first make me wonder why 'm I paying so much $$$ for a carbon. The 2228 is quite a bit cheaper than 1228 and is make in italy instead of france so...

It was later that I found the versatility of the explorer. When other ppl's tripod just cannot reach the position and you can, you will have the last smile. examples are:
1. taking a insect a few inches into a pond. (low height + horizontal center column + way offset CG)
2. setting up the tripod on you theater seat (around your body) while it all seats around you are occupied.

at times I will want a 2227 instead cos:
1. extending 3 joint per leg take longer than 2 joint.
2. extra stability without the weakest link of the 4th section.
3. that few cm of extra extended high will be handful at times.
4. should be a little (very little) cheaper

all the above for the cost of of about 15cm longer collapsed length, which is not really a big problem unless you are travelling oversea.
Anywhere CP do not have 2227, so I don't really have the option.

The explorer design is weaker than other tripod is these area:
1. offset centre column is less stable.
2. offset centre column and leg lock at any angle require a lot more metal constraction and this adds weight, you pay for a carbon and get back the weigh of an aluminum (a Gitzo aluminum though).
3. leg lock at any angle mean you have to look at the mark every time to know where to lock as there's no click position.

I'm using a Acratech Ultimate ballhead but I think the G1376M ballhead will be a good match to the explorer tripod. You may consider the official match G1276M but it's ball looks too small.

overall versatility is the word to describe explorer.
 

Larry

Senior Member
Apr 25, 2002
5,499
0
0
47
singapore
www.larryloh.com
thanks zhoufang. how much did you pay for the G2228? and if G2227 is not available @ CP, any idea where you can get it?
 

zhoufang

New Member
Jan 19, 2002
230
0
0
37
Jurong
Visit site
Originally posted by firefox13
thanks zhoufang. how much did you pay for the G2228? and if G2227 is not available @ CP, any idea where you can get it?
There was a so called promotion which lasted for months. The price during promotion is $560. I don't know is it still on.

I think there's no other place in Singapore you can buy Gitzo tripod besides CP. If you have chance to go HK or TW, you can buy the 2227 there. (HK has the cheapest price worldwide)
 

Status
Not open for further replies.