Anyone using Tamron 18-200mm or 18-250mm lens ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

asterixsg

May 22, 2006
Somewhere in this creation
Hello,

Am considering looking at either of these lenses (AF18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II or AF18-250mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical) on a Canon 30D - for general purpose use during my travels. I have looked at the Canon 28-300mm too - its too expensive :cry: and heavy :sweat: . Need to hold on that purchase for now.

If you have any good/bad things to say about either of these Tamron lenses, I would really appreciate it. Googled for reviews of the same, but couldn't find much.

Thanks so much.

Well, if it counts I've tested the Tamron 18-200mm and I find it quite a good lens. As long as the light is good, and you are using it outdoors, I would say go for it.

A very versatile travel lens.

Well, if it counts I've tested the Tamron 18-200mm and I find it quite a good lens. As long as the light is good, and you are using it outdoors, I would say go for it.

A very versatile travel lens.

Thanks bro.
How does it perform under low light conditions or at night ? Can I mount it on a tripod and use manual focus ? (in case auto focus doesn't work well - this seems to be common complaint amongst photogs using this lens)
In terms of picture quality, I don't expect it to work like an L lens. As long as it delivers sharp pics with decent color contrasts, I would be happy.

Thanks, once again.

Thanks bro.
How does it perform under low light conditions or at night ? Can I mount it on a tripod and use manual focus ? (in case auto focus doesn't work well - this seems to be common complaint amongst photogs using this lens)
In terms of picture quality, I don't expect it to work like an L lens. As long as it delivers sharp pics with decent color contrasts, I would be happy.

Thanks, once again.

It doesn't perform very well in low light conditions, let alone at night. Yes, it can be used on a tripod and if your camera supports it, I'm sure you can use manual focus? It's a useful travel lens, so I think you cannot ask too much from the lens.

As for picture quality, it's a bit lacking on the sharp side, but it is a pretty good lens once you know where to stop down to. Contrast wise it's nothing fantastic, but not crappy either.

might want to wait for the sigma 18-200 OS... i find stabilizer d**n useful especially on lens with huge zoom range. :sticktong. Not sure of the price, but should be less than that of a Nikon 18-200VR ($1300)

might want to wait for the sigma 18-200 OS... i find stabilizer d**n useful especially on lens with huge zoom range. :sticktong. Not sure of the price, but should be less than that of a Nikon 18-200VR ($1300)

If I were Sigma, I wouldn't bother releasing a Nikon mount. Straight away release one for Canon and price it at 1300. Canon got nothing else in that range!

If I were Sigma, I wouldn't bother releasing a Nikon mount. Straight away release one for Canon and price it at 1300. Canon got nothing else in that range!
haha since its already designed, all they have to do is to modify to each individual mount and maybe grab a share from the camera manu (in this case, Nikon!)

haha since its already designed, all they have to do is to modify to each individual mount and maybe grab a share from the camera manu (in this case, Nikon!)

It's not profitable at all. If they had to release it on the Nikon mount, they have to lower the price to like 900-1000. They don't usually practice different pricing, so the Canon mount also have to be around the same price.

It's not profitable at all. If they had to release it on the Nikon mount, they have to lower the price to like 900-1000. They don't usually practice different pricing, so the Canon mount also have to be around the same price.
actually i think 900-1000 is pretty reasonable... a $300++ increase over the previous non-OS version.

So which do u think is more bang for the buck? Tamron 18-250mm or Sigma 18-200 OS?

Amazon.com is now selling the Tamron 18-250mm at US$499 for all mounts. It is about 31% more expensive than the 18-200mm Nikon mount at US$382 and 42% more expensive than the Canon mount at US$351. It is "in stock" for Canon mount and "in stock soon" for N, P and KM mounts.

I have the tamron 18-200 in Nikon mount.

Find the contrast pretty good.

Stop down abit and u get very sharp Jpeg images.. ;)

So which do u think is more bang for the buck? Tamron 18-250mm or Sigma 18-200 OS?

Amazon.com is now selling the Tamron 18-250mm at US$499 for all mounts. It is about 31% more expensive than the 18-200mm Nikon mount at US$382 and 42% more expensive than the Canon mount at US$351. It is "in stock" for Canon mount and "in stock soon" for N, P and KM mounts.

Bro,
Have you seen any reviews of the Sigma 18-200 OS lens ?
The only decent reviews I found were on
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Sigma18200mm/index.shtml
and
http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/sigma_18200_3563/index.htm

Both are reviews of the non-OS version. It seems to outperform the Tamon 18-200mm in some aspects but loses out in some others.
I think the OS on Sigma will be a big help at the longer focal lengths.

Do you know how much it retails - either in SG or in the US ? I can't see this lens listed at bhphoto.com and amazon.com. They only seem to carry the non-OS one.

Sorry, folks. The thread title is a bit misleading now, but I would rather continue this thread rather than start another one...

Any feedback on the Sigma 18-200 OS lens ? I enquired with Cathay, they don't carry this lens. I've sent an inquiry to Sigma US, asking them for more details.

Other than dpreview etc. carrying press releases of this lens, I can't find any reviews or pricing of this lens.

Thanks for your replies and happy weekend.

got 18-250mm??

got 18-250mm??

Tamron 18-250mm is available at amazon.com for Canon mount only. For other mounts it will b "available soon"

Sorry, folks. The thread title is a bit misleading now, but I would rather continue this thread rather than start another one...

Any feedback on the Sigma 18-200 OS lens ? I enquired with Cathay, they don't carry this lens. I've sent an inquiry to Sigma US, asking them for more details.

Other than dpreview etc. carrying press releases of this lens, I can't find any reviews or pricing of this lens.

Thanks for your replies and happy weekend.

bro, b patient lah. sigma 18-200 OS is "no sound, no pic" dont b suprised that it will be delayed just like the Sigma SD14 which was announced in Sep 06 and was planned to b in the mkt by Nov and then there was an announcement of delay. Recently, they announced that SD14 will b released in Apr 07.

bro, b patient lah. sigma 18-200 OS is "no sound, no pic" dont b suprised that it will be delayed just like the Sigma SD14 which was announced in Sep 06 and was planned to b in the mkt by Nov and then there was an announcement of delay. Recently, they announced that SD14 will b released in Apr 07.

ha ha ha.
Bro,
just like you said, got to have patience. this lens is not available in the market yet...

got this reply from Sigma Corp, to my inquiry.

Thank you for your inquiry. The lens has been announced, but it is not
available anywhere yet. The new 18-200mm DC OS lens will be available at
the end of March. The price will be available when the lens is available.

Sincerely,

SIGMA Corporation of America

15 Fleetwood Court

Ronkonkoma, New York 11779

Back to square one now. The search continues...:D

Well, my opinion is... Dun get it.

I have used the 28-200 Tamron before and the colour seriously isn't good. I'd rather you stick with standard lenses of less than 3 x zooms... Their colour would be much much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.