anyone using Novell Netware 6 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ninelives

Jan 16, 2002
BB
ninelives.clubsnap.org
We all know Microsoft . But how many of you actually heard/ used Novell Netware before? What are the advantages ?

Thanks.

Originally posted by ninelives
We all know Microsoft . But how many of you actually heard/ used Novell Netware before? What are the advantages ?

Thanks.

We use Novell 5 in office I think. But migrating to Windows 2000 Active Directory. In the NT4 days, I asked the MIS guy why we chose Novell and not NT, and he said something like "Netware better for file server, NT better for application server".

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

We use Novell 5 in office I think. But migrating to Windows 2000 Active Directory. In the NT4 days, I asked the MIS guy why we chose Novell and not NT, and he said something like "Netware better for file server, NT better for application server".

Regards
CK

Well Netware have better job protection for existing MIS staff.. ( coz going extinct) while going NT might not be too good for the MIS staff coz so many MCSE around they could become expandable.... :)

Originally posted by Minority

Well Netware have better job protection for existing MIS staff.. ( coz going extinct) while going NT might not be too good for the MIS staff coz so many MCSE around they could become expandable.... :)

that's not what i want to know.

Thanks.

well, me for one is a Cert. Novell Engineer... :embrass:

Advantages, well, for starters, novell was into Directory services long before NT/2000. on the job experience lets me know the following statistics...
- reboot NT/2000 servers at least once every 3 months or face blue screen of death.
- reboot netware servers once every 6-12 mths or more. :)
- Novell does not post patches to their OS as frequently as MS does i.e. no SP1, SP2, SP whatever upgrades now and then.

on the down side,
- novell does not have much of a big market share nowadays. skilled ppl for this is also scarce(compared to MCSEs),
- netware is NOT AS USER FRIENDLY (in terms of configuration of the server) when compared to MS NT/W2K.
- netware products used to be EXPENSIVE.

juz some rantings... :)

Originally posted by petaflopz

well, me for one is a Cert. Novell Engineer... :embrass:

so are we able to run DHCP server, DNS server, wins server on Netware 6 since it is on directory service ?

THanks.

so are we able to run DHCP server, DNS server, wins server on Netware 6 since it is on directory service ?

THanks.

Answer to your question is YES.

However, DHCP, DNS and WINS does not have much to do with directory services. :) Directory services are more for resource level (e.g. network users, servers, printers, print queues, and applications...blah...)

However, DHCP, DNS and WINS does not have much to do with directory services. :) Directory services are more for resource level (e.g. network users, servers, printers, print queues, and applications...blah...)

i see, then it is different from win2k. In order to run DNS, Wins, you need to install Active directory.

Thanks for you info.

i see, then it is different from win2k. In order to run DNS, Wins, you need to install Active directory.

Thanks for you info.

not true leh.... i have test environment here running w2k server without AD installed, my DNS is on another server, so is my WINS, and both of them do not have AD either... in short, my test environment is AD-free!
:what:

not true leh.... i have test environment here running w2k server without AD installed, my DNS is on another server, so is my WINS, and both of them do not have AD either... in short, my test environment is AD-free!
:what:

yes, you are right , now I recalled.

hmm, wat was it that I wanted to install when it ask me to install AD eh? Hmm, let me go think think again.

were you trying to install exchange 2000?

R u an MSCE too?

9lives, no wonder you are jobless ;p ;p ;p No lah, just kidding with you...

no i am not, kingkongchar. but i work in a fully MS environment... :(

OIC, what an irony...

Originally posted by KingKongChar

9lives, no wonder you are jobless ;p ;p ;p No lah, just kidding with you...

yah, watched too much TV, played too much games liao. Forget everything. What I had learnt already sh*t and flushed away into the toilet bowl liao. :D

Originally posted by KingKongChar

OIC, what an irony...

Why irony :p Microsoft is GOOD :thumbsup: Bill gates should be the next president of amerca :thumbsup: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

yah, watched too much TV, played too much games liao. Forget everything. What I had learnt already sh*t and flushed away into the toilet bowl liao. :D

At least better than mine. Those sh*t got lost while it's transferred from the mouth of the lecturer to my ear. Signal lose thru air.

Status
Not open for further replies.