Anyone using netbook?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about the ASUS eeePC1000H? 10.0" screen. Quite fast too. Just helped a friend load MS Office onto it and it took only 10 mins. Surfing is fast too.

I chose ACER Aspire One in the end for its overall keyboard ( very impt for comfortable typing , thus the asus range is out as the keyboard is too small ) , win XP ( hp2133 is out coz they are using vista for a netbook !? lol ) , average 5-6 hrs of battery life on the 6 cell battery , intel atom and 160GB hdd !

Initially wanted to get the hp for its keyboard and the better design , imo the asus and msi looks very flimsy ... ended up with the acer and so far no complaint quite happy with it .

I chose ACER Aspire One in the end for its overall keyboard ( very impt for comfortable typing , thus the asus range is out as the keyboard is too small ) , win XP ( hp2133 is out coz they are using vista for a netbook !? lol ) , average 5-6 hrs of battery life on the 6 cell battery , intel atom and 160GB hdd !

Initially wanted to get the hp for its keyboard and the better design , imo the asus and msi looks very flimsy ... ended up with the acer and so far no complaint quite happy with it .
Have you tried photoshop cs3 on it yet?

Have you tried photoshop cs3 on it yet?

Unfortunately most people assumed netbook is like a note book and try to load in
heavy stuff. :(

A netbook is designed for light work and surfing the internet on the go. However to
meet the demand from photographers those with 120 to 160GB hard disks will be the
choice.

A lighter version of Photoshop will be ideal for the Netbook e.g. PS CS1 or better PS 7.0
if you really need to do some editing and simple touch up of your photos.

Currently the Samsung NC10 and the Lenovo IdeaPad S10 seems to be on the top of the best netbooks in terms of battery life, keyboard and value for money
according to reviews.

The cheapest is the Dell Inspiron Mini 9 with Linux as OS for less than six hundred bucks
using SSD.

Last edited:
Only the Lenovo S10 is available locally and its still a 3 cell battery (roughly 2.5hrs usage).

Only the Lenovo S10 is available locally and its still a 3 cell battery (roughly 2.5hrs usage).

So far I notice only the S10 have express card slot if that matter to you :lovegrin: But is using conventional hard disk instead of solid state drive unlike Asus 901 and Dell 9 :sweat:

Yup though until the SSDs get bigger, I'll stick to the standard HDDs.

So far, the MSI Wind U120 seems to have it all except for the express card slot. All the usual netbook stuff, 6 cell battery (which seems to be a rarity in Singapore but not anywhere else) and HSPDA for 3.5G.

Last edited:
Got an Acer Aspire One. Photoshop runs fine. Slow but usable. The problem is not speed, but screen size. :bsmilie: Too small.

Great for surfing and chatting. Brought it along during an overseas trip. Wonderful. :)

Guys look out for Asus N10J Netbook. But screen still 1024x600, HDMI is just super. Can load directly from my Canon HF100, perfect for travelling.

Asus N10J

Heard it will be at Sitex, not sure pricing though.

../azul123

Guys look out for Asus N10J Netbook. But screen still 1024x600, HDMI is just super. Can load directly from my Canon HF100, perfect for travelling.

Asus N10J

../azul123

The guy sounds like a sales man. But it does look very good but I think the price is definately more than 1K.

Asus N10J

../azul123

Didn't you complain about most Atom netbooks having only 1024x600 pixels screen resolution? The notebook (not netbook, according to Asus) you tout here has .... (Drum roll) ...

... the same Atom N270 processor and the same 1024x600 pixel screen resolution.

Ok, it has a glossy screen (on their website, Asus literally specifies it, in a surprising bout of honesty, as "glare-type"). To me that doesn't sound like an improvement.

I also don't see how a HDMI port helps for image editing "on the go". Unless you carry a HDMI monitor around with the notebook... in which case, why aren't you getting one of those big-screen notebooks in the first place?

Didn't you complain about most Atom netbooks having only 1024x600 pixels screen resolution? The notebook (not netbook, according to Asus) you tout here has .... (Drum roll) ...

... the same Atom N270 processor and the same 1024x600 pixel screen resolution.

Ok, it has a glossy screen (on their website, Asus literally specifies it, in a surprising bout of honesty, as "glare-type"). To me that doesn't sound like an improvement.

I also don't see how a HDMI port helps for image editing "on the go". Unless you carry a HDMI monitor around with the notebook... in which case, why aren't you getting one of those big-screen notebooks in the first place?
Well, one thing is I have 8 Notebooks at home, I am using a 15" screen size myself. I have 2 netbooks that I now find I want better specs.

When I travel I bring along my camera and Digicam (which incidently have a mini-HDMI port) why must HDMI connect to a large screen only?

And why should I explain my wants... trying to tell everyone who is interested on latest and I get side swap for that?

Yes, it is 1024x600 Atom, didn't I post a software tweak for everybody's benefit?

../azul123

Oh.. I think I know why, because you mentioned that screen size not limtted by Atom processor but it seems none of the Atom N270 processor out in market is capable for better screen and you felt I showed you up? Grow up lah.

../azul123

Isn't a quick bitter response helps you to build walls instead of bridges?

However when one realize the metaphysical concept (MI) of consciousness
and that it is the only one and nothing else that matter, then the basis
of one's being will be joyful.

-------------------------------------------------------
"Consciousness comes before matter;
it is the fundamental wellspring from which
reality is created". Enjoy lah!

:heart::heart::heart:

When I travel I bring along my camera and Digicam (which incidently have a mini-HDMI port) why must HDMI connect to a large screen only?

I think there is a misunderstanding. The online specifications don't make it clear, but I would think it is almost certain that the HDMI port is an output, not an input. I.e., you can connect the laptop to a big screen, but you very likely cannot use it to view the video from your cameras on the laptop screen.

NB, the restriction of video modes is really not a processor problem. The limitation comes from the chipset (945GSE, I believe) which most netbooks use for its moderate power consumption (no point having a low-power processor otherwise). You can use high-end graphics chips with an Atom, but it would likely cripple the battery endurance of netbooks which is one of the main selling points.

Note that the N10J laptop does add a higher-end graphics chip to drive the HDMI port. I don't find battery endurance information, but the power supply is rated for 65 W. Compare this to an eeePC which, apart from the video section, seems to have virtually identical hardware - it comes with a 36W power supply. And despite the higher power consumption, the N10J uses a lower-capacity battery than the eeePC.

And my apologies if I offended you.

I think there is a misunderstanding. The online specifications don't make it clear, but I would think it is almost certain that the HDMI port is an output, not an input. I.e., you can connect the laptop to a big screen, but you very likely cannot use it to view the video from your cameras on the laptop screen.

NB, the restriction of video modes is really not a processor problem. The limitation comes from the chipset (945GSE, I believe) which most netbooks use for its moderate power consumption (no point having a low-power processor otherwise). You can use high-end graphics chips with an Atom, but it would likely cripple the battery endurance of netbooks which is one of the main selling points.

Note that the N10J laptop does add a higher-end graphics chip to drive the HDMI port. I don't find battery endurance information, but the power supply is rated for 65 W. Compare this to an eeePC which, apart from the video section, seems to have virtually identical hardware - it comes with a 36W power supply. And despite the higher power consumption, the N10J uses a lower-capacity battery than the eeePC.

And my apologies if I offended you.
I have one HP Notebook that also has HDMI, when I connect my Digicam through HDMI, I could load my videos to it, I assume this Asus might operate in the same manner, but I am no techie... my purpose posting here is to share info.

Appreciate your inputs as well.

../azul123

Do you think is it sufficient to use a Netbook to do a Engineering Part time Degree Course? Please put up your hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.