Anyone using Mac Mini


Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 18, 2004
772
0
0
www.pbase.com
#1
Hi

Anyone using Mac Mini with Photoshop to edit pictures? Any pleasant experiences? I am a PC user but really like the Mac Mini for its looks.
 

kerpalz

Senior Member
Dec 18, 2003
2,147
1
38
TheDaysMovie.com
#2
i just got(psycho) him to get a mac mini for himself, for surfing, listening music and stuff... coz his old P3 is giving way. i have tried CS on his comp.. very good @ handling 10-15jpegs in a shot, but yet to try out RAW on it.
he's having 1GB memory ram on his mini. :)
 

Aug 18, 2004
772
0
0
www.pbase.com
#3
kerpalz said:
i just got(psycho) him to get a mac mini for himself, for surfing, listening music and stuff... coz his old P3 is giving way. i have tried CS on his comp.. very good @ handling 10-15jpegs in a shot, but yet to try out RAW on it.
he's having 1GB memory ram on his mini. :)
What do you mean by handling 10-15 jpgs in a shot? Do you mean you have 10-15 files opened in PS?
 

nightpiper

Senior Member
Oct 20, 2003
2,152
0
0
#4
get the iMac. its definitely a better deal running G5 instead of G4. dun take my word for it, go down to Lane Crawford macshop to have a hands on. ;) rem to up the RAM to min 1GB.

(ps. i dun own any macs so not advertising for apple, just being objective)
 

jaded

New Member
Jun 13, 2004
110
0
0
#6
Mac mini's price is so low that even Apple employees don't get to exercise their usual 20% discount when they buy it. Ditto for Ipod Shuffle.

Mac mini is an excellent choice, esp if you have a spare monitor/keyboard/mouse lying around. Get the mini with the lowest specs and check online on how to upgrade it yourself. I believe SGL Mktg at Sim Lim Sq does just that, opening the cube with a paint scraper. I've seen a movie online on how to open it.

Check online for upgrade programs. In the US, there are companies offering upgrade programs specially catered to the mac mini. There's a program called "Mini to the Max" that upgrades the internal hard disk and includes a dual layer DVD burner.

Hope this helps.
 

wind30

Deregistered
Mar 14, 2004
2,927
0
0
#7
TMC said:
Imac would be better. Mini is more looks,
I thought the imac looks great too. Mac mini, you have to find a matching screen and apple LCD are very ex right?
 

V

vince123123

Guest
#8
If I need to run Windows programs on the MAC, and use this Virtual PC program, how's the performance like? I've read online that it's rather slow...anyone with experience using these?



jaded said:
Mac mini's price is so low that even Apple employees don't get to exercise their usual 20% discount when they buy it. Ditto for Ipod Shuffle.

Mac mini is an excellent choice, esp if you have a spare monitor/keyboard/mouse lying around. Get the mini with the lowest specs and check online on how to upgrade it yourself. I believe SGL Mktg at Sim Lim Sq does just that, opening the cube with a paint scraper. I've seen a movie online on how to open it.

Check online for upgrade programs. In the US, there are companies offering upgrade programs specially catered to the mac mini. There's a program called "Mini to the Max" that upgrades the internal hard disk and includes a dual layer DVD burner.

Hope this helps.
 

jaded

New Member
Jun 13, 2004
110
0
0
#9
vince123123 said:
If I need to run Windows programs on the MAC, and use this Virtual PC program, how's the performance like? I've read online that it's rather slow...anyone with experience using these?
I used to use Virtual PC on a 800 MHz G3 ibook to run Microsoft Excel. Excel actually runs faster on an emulator than Office X for Mac, but I kept running out of memory. So i switched back to Excel on Mac. It depends on what programs u intend to run. If you are running graphics intensive programs, like Photoshop, u get good results on a G5 or even an imac. Forget about running Microsoft products on a mac. Waste of time.
 

Darren

ClubSNAP Admin
Staff member
Jan 16, 2002
8,610
27
48
Melbourne
#11
I have a Mac Mini (1.42Ghz, 512MB memory) but I don't really use it for the high-demand applications.

A quick'n'dirty test using Capture 1 Pro 3.6 on the Mac mini and a Thinkpad T40p (1.6Ghz Pentium M, 1GB memory) showed that the Mac mini is around 30-40% slower in processing the same amount of RAW files. Needless to say, my desktop PC (3Ghz Pentium 4) stomps all over the Mac mini in graphics processing.

What do I use the mini for? Right now, accessing the web, doing email, doing some small projects for the kids - it has become the de-facto computer for day-to-day use. I only fire up the PC when I need to do the graphics stuff.
 

wind30

Deregistered
Mar 14, 2004
2,927
0
0
#12
Darren said:
I have a Mac Mini (1.42Ghz, 512MB memory) but I don't really use it for the high-demand applications.

A quick'n'dirty test using Capture 1 Pro 3.6 on the Mac mini and a Thinkpad T40p (1.6Ghz Pentium M, 1GB memory) showed that the Mac mini is around 30-40% slower in processing the same amount of RAW files. Needless to say, my desktop PC (3Ghz Pentium 4) stomps all over the Mac mini in graphics processing.

What do I use the mini for? Right now, accessing the web, doing email, doing some small projects for the kids - it has become the de-facto computer for day-to-day use. I only fire up the PC when I need to do the graphics stuff.
I don't think it is slowness is due to the processor, just that your mac mini has too little ram. I think the OS X takes up a lot of ram. 512mb is really little.
 

#13
wind30 is right. 512MB is just not enough if you want to run OS X (tiger, especially) and Photoshop together, much less for opening RAW files.

i'm on a powerbook G4 with 1GB ram and it does just fine. Get an iMac instead of a mini, though, because if you count the screen alone, the iMac is pretty value-for-money.
 

sinlg

New Member
Jun 21, 2004
355
0
0
50
#14
Mac going to INTEL platform soon... so no point buying PowerPC macs.. wait for INTEL macs next year ;) together with new OS X
 

khairi

Senior Member
Apr 6, 2004
2,526
0
0
41
yishun
inbloomblog.multiply.com
#15
sinlg said:
Mac going to INTEL platform soon... so no point buying PowerPC macs.. wait for INTEL macs next year ;) together with new OS X
ha ha ha .. yeap, that caught me by surprised when i heard the news...i wonder how'd the performance be? faster? or on par with a normal PC.

lets wait and see! :)
 

whoelse

Senior Member
Oct 17, 2003
1,228
0
36
#16
how much 1 piece ah?
 

Aug 18, 2004
772
0
0
www.pbase.com
#17
1. Anyone with the Mac Mini (Intel) ABLE to use a mic/other device for Audio IN. Doesn't seem to work for me.

2. Anyone has used iSight for Mac Mini?
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom